Reading on your smart phone

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Re: Reading on your smart phone

Post by ipekbunsal »

My smart phone is really stupid so it is like torture and I prefer my computer :D
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
SuduNona
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sudunona.html

Post by SuduNona »

I think if I tried again to read on my Smart Phone I would end up with an one eyed squint and a permanent migraine. Part of the joy of reading is scanning the whole page, reading in from the edges and round from the middle. Impossible by Smart Phone.....
nikkavb
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkavb.html

Post by nikkavb »

Smartphones are actually lifesavers if you don't have a physical book with you and you want to read something. You can even read in the dark, highlight some quotes, bookmarking, and adding notes (if you're the kind of person who doesn't want to write on, highlight sentences, or fold a book). However, nothing beats the feeling of having the physical book in your hands and being able to touch (and smell) it.
Dzneychica
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzneychica.html

Post by Dzneychica »

I was very hesitant about the whole ebook thing at first...but then I went on a trip and forgot the book I was in the middle of reading! I had the next two books in the series with me, but I didn't want to start on them until I finished the first one. The trip was to an Expo...and there were a lot of LONG lines (I don't think I spent less than two hours in any line...one was well over four!). I needed something to do! So I bought the ebook version of the book I left at home and finished reading it while sitting in one of those endless lines. I haven't looked back! I do prefer the physical books, and buy them whenever possible, but I have a new appreciation for the ebooks because they are perfect for reading on the go; when waiting in line or at the doctor's office or even just during a work break. I do love the fact that I don't have to carry a book around with me, and that if I finish the book, I can always download another instead of sitting and doing nothing!
annareads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annareads.html
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis

Post by annareads »

It's the most convenient, certainly, but I agree with what a lot of you have said: the backlighting gets unpleasant after a while. Obviously the same problem occurs with a lot of e-readers as well (except the basic Nook, which I'm fond of), so it could be a compromise worth making. I sometimes find the size of a phone screen limiting though--I like being able to see a broader page the way you can on an e-reader, laptop, or actual book.
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis
lizzieclifton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzieclifton.html

Post by lizzieclifton »

Im a total nerd when it comes to book so I have to have several devices with nook on them so when I kill ones battery I can continue reading. So yes ive read on my phone its nice to have on there so if your stuck somewhere you can still read and if you have the nook app and a nook it will jump to the page you left off of on your last device.
Embracing_Madness
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-embracing-madness.html

Post by Embracing_Madness »

I can't say that I like this mode of reading, because my phone is so small. It just feels weird being able to see only a few lines on the screen (especially if I zoom in) and having to scroll down so frequently. Give me a paper book or even a laptop any day!
W J Gunning

Post by W J Gunning »

Fascinated by all the different technologies used to read on smart phones. Amazing number of options shared here.
M_liabelle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-liabelle.html

Post by M_liabelle »

A24 wrote:I use the Kindle app on my phone when I don't have my Kindle with me. This works well during down times at work where I can more discretely read on my phone (yeah, I'm checking messages). :oops: With the lighting though, I could only do this for a short time.
Same here. I also read while waiting in long queues to kill time. :D
mramchandran

Post by mramchandran »

If your smartphone is a 7 inch one then good for reading but anything smaller seems claustrophobic. I use my ereader - kindle fire and i love it. but dont feel the same with my 4 inch smartphone :) .... have tried it though !!
NookWorm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nookworm.html

Post by NookWorm »

i read on my smartphone when I don't have my iPad around. Sometimes you just need to adjust the font size if needed
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Here in Japan, it is super common to read on smartphones! There are even books written specifically for use with smart phones, soo the sentences/pages are short enough to fit on one screen and still be read easily. But since I can't read Japanese, it doesn't make a difference to me. I prefer my kindle anyway.
LarryWilto

Post by LarryWilto »

That is how I read books at the gym while doing cardio.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

I don't. I read a real (paper) book or use my Kindle or iPad. I have a Kindle Fire also, but I hardly ever use it for reading.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Erik1485

Post by Erik1485 »

I don't mind reading on a smartphone, it's very convenient to use when I am trying to kill time and it is always on me. However, I do prefer to read short stories on my smartphone and books for longer novels.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”