Reading on your smart phone

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Barbarabillig
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbarabillig.html

Reading on your smart phone

Post by Barbarabillig »

Terry Callister sent me his new ebook, The Catalytic Programme, and I read it on my smart phone. That was because my laptop was too cumbersome in bed to read easily. It was a fantastic reading experience - the phone is lightweight, it is back lit, the text can be sized to whatever you want. And, if you are a speed reader, holding the phone vertically, makes the text easy to scan down line by line (with speed reading you are supposed to read lines, not words). Plus, you always have your phone with you - can read any time you have a few minutes. I used to laugh at the idea of reading a book on my phone - now I'm downloading to my phone. By the way - Terry's book is well worth reading. I posted a review. Barbara Billig
Hedeya.net

Post by Hedeya.net »

This is difficult as the text become more smaller
Barbarabillig
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbarabillig.html

Post by Barbarabillig »

Most readers let you change the size of the text to your liking. Adobe, nook, kindle, txtr.....all have info posted online about how to use them and transfer book files for ebooks. Actually I was amazed at the number of people using their phones to read who had posted.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Barbarabillig wrote:Terry Callister sent me his new ebook, The Catalytic Programme, and I read it on my smart phone. That was because my laptop was too cumbersome in bed to read easily. It was a fantastic reading experience - the phone is lightweight, it is back lit, the text can be sized to whatever you want. And, if you are a speed reader, holding the phone vertically, makes the text easy to scan down line by line (with speed reading you are supposed to read lines, not words). Plus, you always have your phone with you - can read any time you have a few minutes. I used to laugh at the idea of reading a book on my phone - now I'm downloading to my phone. By the way - Terry's book is well worth reading. I posted a review. Barbara Billig
That would be handy. I found I can put text ebooks on my digital camera, it works really good. I use it when I have to go to the states and have to wait at the border, sometimes 3 to 4 hours. I keep my foot on the brake pedal and inch along, reading my camera all the time.
Meka

Post by Meka »

Before I got my Kindle I read on my Black Berry and found it much more convenient and easier to hold than a paper book, however the back light would start to bother my eyes after about an hour, other than that I enjoyed it.
TagBag

Post by TagBag »

i don't like reading on mobile phone
it's not convenient
Hedeya.net

Post by Hedeya.net »

This is difficult
talia_in

Post by talia_in »

I like just reading actual books.
m_buckner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-buckner.html

Post by m_buckner »

As I get older, I wear my reading glasses for more than just reading. I would have a hard time reading on my phone.
jsinard42
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
Favorite Book: The Host
Currently Reading: Revenge of the Witch
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsinard42.html
fav_author_id: 6470

Post by jsinard42 »

If I absolutely cannot wait to read a book I will settle for reading it on my phone but to me it's a last resort. And only will I do that if I can't transfer it from my phone to my laptop. The text is really too small for me to find it an enjoyable experience. I much prefer using my laptop whenever possible.
WendyM
Favorite Author: Neil Gaiman
Favorite Book: Mythago Wood
fav_author_id: 3586

Post by WendyM »

I haven't tried it, but I like the idea of having it immediately available everywhere. I read on my tablet, and find the screen size perfect, but I keep my phone offline most of the time, so I suppose the syncing part of the experience would trip me up - I'd have to spend ages trying to find my place on the larger device, when I got back to it.
Bananacat
Favorite Author: Too many to decide
Favorite Book: Any book on the market
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bananacat.html
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey

Post by Bananacat »

I also really enjoy reading on my smartphone because if I don't have either my kindle or a paper-back book then I find having a book on my smartphone really helps. I find it is great for reading between lectures because you always have your phone on you. :-)
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey
julianfroment

Post by julianfroment »

I haven't actually tried this, but I do have the kindle app on my phone. I will no doubt use this option when I do not have my tablet with me, since I always have my phone.
Linkhorn

Post by Linkhorn »

I use mine a lot, I have FBreader which let's you set light levels easily and has some nice simple functions (ePub format is best). I also have a matte screen protector which helps your eyes a lot, I didn't like reading on my phone much before I put that on, now it's very similar to a kindle.

The trade-off is that pictures and movies aren't as clear, but I don't watch movies on my phone anyhow and if I really need to see a picture clearly I can always send it to a tablet or desktop. Sometimes it's fun seeing a picture properly for the first time several weeks after I took it and noticing things I'd missed.
"We travel not for trafficking alone; By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned." J.E.F.
A24

Post by A24 »

I use the Kindle app on my phone when I don't have my Kindle with me. This works well during down times at work where I can more discretely read on my phone (yeah, I'm checking messages). :oops: With the lighting though, I could only do this for a short time.
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”