Reading on your smart phone

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
patrickt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Reading on your smart phone

Post by patrickt »

I am a compulsive reader. I was reading a Spanish-language newspaper in a Mexican restaurant one day and the waitress spoke to me in Spanish. "I don't speak Spanish." "But you read Spanish." "No, I don't but I have to read something."

I prefer reading my Kindle and almost always have it with me but if I get caught short, I can read on my Nexus 5. I was shocked that my old eyes could handle a small screen but it's really not a problem. Of course, no reading in sunlight.
Arcturus78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcturus78.html

Post by Arcturus78 »

I've read books on my phone but I prefer my tablet. Still, a phone is easier to carry and works great at the dentist or doctors office or while waiting for any appointment. I could see it in a traffic jam as well. I have an HTC phone with a large screen size and that helps as well.
alexanderian

Post by alexanderian »

I have Kindle ereader on my Android smart phone and I have an Amazon Kindle myself
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I love reading on my iPhone. I especially enjoy the automatic backlighting adjustments of the iBooks app. I tend to pace when I read, so I can walk from my brightly-lit living room to my dimly-lit hallway and keep on reading without having to turn on the hallway light or strain my eyes.

The iBooks app is also a great way for me to save money, as many of my relatives buy me iTunes gift cards for birthdays and holidays. I can use the cards for downloading music and books, which is awesome!!! 8)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I was always so amazed by the fact that wherever I went I saw someone's face glued to their smartphone. One day I decided to try it. It was a pleasurable experience for me, surprisingly. As a result, I have several books on my phone now that I read when the mood strikes.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Smartphones are just another way to enjoy a great book! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Erich_gray
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erich-gray.html

Post by Erich_gray »

I tried to read on my phone, but the screen is way too small. It distracts from the feeling of having an actual book in my hand and thoughts of dragons and knights in my head.

Nothing compares to the actual book. Absolutely nothing.

Erich
drsush

Post by drsush »

Ebooks are fair enough in the sense that makes us find and download the books asap....
But reading becomes a tough job for me although I am trying to get accustomed. Being an oldie, really I get the feel of reading a book only when I turn the real pages and could smell the pages...
athyvip
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athyvip.html

Post by athyvip »

I personally prefer a ereader over a paper book, but I'd still prefer a paper book over my phone... I've read mangas on my phone but only because they were free.
A_Person_Alright

Post by A_Person_Alright »

My smartphone goes withe everywhere, so there's no way I'll ever lose my books, and it's way easier on my non-existent book budget
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

My Nexus 5 works fine for those rare occasions I'm caught without my Kindle. It synchs with my Kindle so it is quite convenient. But, if I have my Kindle and my Nexus 5, the Kindle is always my choice for reading. The smartphone has no advantage other than I sometimes have it with me when I don't have my Kindle.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I can't imagine reading a book on my phone, due to the small screen size. I have a Kindle Fire, and it's my preferred device for reading.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
librarydancer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-librarydancer.html

Post by librarydancer »

The Nook app on my phone makes reading books there much easier than I expected it to be. I assumed it would be miserable, and only tried it because I really needed to know how a mystery ended. :)
jordyn21
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordyn21.html

Post by jordyn21 »

It hurts my eyes to read on a screen for too long! I would rather have a paperback book in my hands with pages to turn and a book mark to stick inbetween the pages so I can see how much I've read any day!
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
~Marilyn Monroe
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I usually only do it to kill time when I am stuck somewhere for awhile, but I still feel blessed to have the option!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”