Reading on your smart phone

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Chris3kids
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Reading on your smart phone

Post by Chris3kids »

I don't have an ereader, I have the newest LG and I download books straight to it, it can adjust the size of the text so it is not so small.
mjtate72215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjtate72215.html

Post by mjtate72215 »

I don't like to read on my iPhone. It hurts my eyes
davidlog

Post by davidlog »

I used to do this on my iPhone. Then I dropped it... and now its the "Stained Glass" edition. Now I'm back to my desktop PC for any serious online reading.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I have the kindle app on my phone as well, and I love it! I can read in bed even while my roommate is sleeping with the lights off, and I can even sneak a few pages in when I have a long period of no customers at my part-time job!

My only problem is the formatting I have for files that I "send" to the app using my kindle email. For example, I downloaded a book to review for OBC and the spacing is so erratic! There are double spaces every two lines, so it's really hard to tell whether the paragraph is actually ending or whether it was cut in half (or sometimes thirds or fourths!)
I'm assuming that it's either the fault of the author or a problem with the file type..I selected a .mobi file (because it is the KINDLE app, after all) but maybe next time I'll select .pdf instead and see how that works out.
TrisNook
Favorite Author: JK Rowling
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and Order of The Phoenix (Harry Potter #5)
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by TrisNook »

I find reading on my phone to be too small for me, I enjoyed reading eBooks on my phone but I wanted something a little bigger. So I invested in a Kindle HD fire 6 and I love it.
domnicole1987
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domnicole1987.html

Post by domnicole1987 »

I prefer reading on my kindle to my phone. I feel like the phone is too small to hold and comfortably read from. But I do use it when my kindle dies or when I leave it at home.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I recently discovered how I like to read certain things on my phone. I am currently re-reading A Game of Thrones. I have a mass market book version, it's on my kindle, and I have it on my Kindle App on my iPhone. I am finding that I prefer reading this particular book on my iPhone rather than somewhere else.

I think it's partly because the books in the series are so big that I just have to focus on small parts of it rather the whole. Also, I think it's because I can take it anywhere and pull up the book to read a few pages. So I definitely like to read on my smartphone with certain books.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
J_Fuh
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-fuh.html

Post by J_Fuh »

Really, I've pretty much stopped reading physical paper books and have moved everything onto digital, on my phone now. Everything you said was the reason why.
jessicamarie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicamarie.html

Post by jessicamarie »

I don't know how people can read on their phones! The small screen really isn't enough for me. I do love reading on my iPad at the gym though because I find it easier to prop on the treadmill than a regular book. Did it take a lot of getting used to or were you comfortable with the smaller size right away?
Hmsmith06
Currently Reading: Inkheart
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmsmith06.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Hmsmith06 »

I am starting to read more and more on my iPhone. There are definitely benefits to it, your phone is always with you and the light on the phone can be dimmed or brightened so you can read anywhere at any time, without lugging a book around. There is just something about a book though that technology could never replace. Reading on a phone or nook can never compare to holding a book in your hands, smelling that new book smell, and flipping page after page.
susanlisa

Post by susanlisa »

A mobile phone can be a good medium for everyone who wants to access their ebooks all day long even though people might have a problem with its smaller screen size.

But most smartphones have at least 4 inch display. You can also increase the font size to a bigger level. The main advantage of smartphones is its portability and also you don’t need to carry anything extra as mobiles phones have now become a necessity in everyone’s lives.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

My phone is so smart it can read by itself.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
roultmore

Post by roultmore »

I personally prefer to read on desktop or hard book - iphone or ipad put lot of stress and dont give much pleasure to read books
Alwhitbeck
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Currently Reading: Maids of Misfortune
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwhitbeck.html
Latest Review: "The No-Nonsense Guide To Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis" by Adam Webber
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by Alwhitbeck »

I truly enjoy reading a paperback... The feel in your hands... The smell of the paper and ink... The sound of a turning page, however, I work in home health and my clients don't always appreciate hunky half naked men on the covers or sarcastic book titles. Reading on my ereader or phone makes what I'm reading a little easier to hide if I'm out in public with a client or with a client that has very traditional expectations. My go to "book" is Catherine The Great, or a variety of history books.
Latest Review: "The No-Nonsense Guide To Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis" by Adam Webber
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I like to have books on my phone for when I'm stuck waiting for appointments or in a long line by myself. Although for me it's pretty hard to beat the hardcopy. I feel like I pay attention to it better when I have a hardcopy.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”