Reading on your smart phone

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
cjohns105
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjohns105.html
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Re: Reading on your smart phone

Post by cjohns105 »

While I love having a physical copy of whatever book I may be reading, I find that I am much more likely to read a book if it is on my phone. I get most of my physical books from the library since I really can't afford to buy more then a few books a year. One thing that is great about many libraries now, is that they often offer ebook versions of books as well, when they are available. This is convenient because it means that I can access the catalogs of multiple libraries in my area without having to go to them. One draw back is that there is usually your typically library time limit, lets say three weeks, and these ebook versions are growing in popularity. The result is that you typically only have the initial check-out period to read the book.

I take my phone everywhere with me. Reading on your phone seems to be one of the more efficient uses of battery life as well, which is good for traveling and long trips. Also since you are bound to have your phone with you regardless, it is not necessary to bring another device along just to read a book (if you think of it that way, you might as well just bring the actual book with you). I do agree with several of you who have issues with your eyes after reading on phones for extended periods, it happens to me all the time. I have not used a Kindle or Nook enough to experience or notice a difference so I will just have to take your word for it on the eye issue.

I also like using my phone to read because it allows me access to lots of outside resources if I need them. I can find definitions and look things up on Wikipedia, which others have mentioned is possible to do on a Kindle. One thing I like to do it various types of image or visual media searches, to help get a better mental image of the world that I am immersing myself in. And sometimes, reading a really good book gets my writing juices flowing, and it is an easy transition to write or dictate my ideas on to my phone. Happy reading everybody. Thanks.
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali
Aakaraw7
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aakaraw7.html

Post by Aakaraw7 »

It is both, a little uncomfortable because you don't get to have the wonderful feeling of holding a book in your hands but also much more convenient than buying books as you just have to download them now
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I mainly read all my books on my phone as it's convenient and as you said lightweight. Also, it fits in my pocket. However I occasionally read on my tablet as well.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

Reading on my phone helps me get in a LOT of reading in. Since I always have my phone on me, I can just open my reading app, and I get some reading done!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I'm limited in how long I can read on my phone but 3 or 4 books ago I decided to try reading an entire 500 page book on my phone. It worked and I havent picked up my kindle since. I'm not sure how long I'll continue this but I'm in no hurry to go back to it even though I can have longer reading sessions on the kindle.

Barry
ashpop2110

Post by ashpop2110 »

Reading on smartphone has many benefits but lot more than that non-benefits.One of the benefit is that while reading in smartphone you do not need to turn on any additional lights also you can change the font for reading according to our visibility.But more than the non benefits such as eye problems,secondly we need to have charging in smartphone for reading,etc.Iam myself got spectacles do to reading in smartphone.If you are reading book in smartphone plz wear antiglare spectacles that would protect your eye from different problems.

-- 01 Mar 2017, 09:44 --

Reading on smartphone has many benefits but lot more than that non-benefits.One of the benefit is that while reading in smartphone you do not need to turn on any additional lights also you can change the font for reading according to our visibility.But more than the non benefits such as eye problems,secondly we need to have charging in smartphone for reading,etc.Iam myself got spectacles do to reading in smartphone.If you are reading book in smartphone plz wear antiglare spectacles that would protect your eye from different problems.

-- 01 Mar 2017, 09:45 --

MythicDrmR
Currently Reading: Empire of Night
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mythicdrmr.html

Post by MythicDrmR »

WendyM wrote:I haven't tried it, but I like the idea of having it immediately available everywhere. I read on my tablet, and find the screen size perfect, but I keep my phone offline most of the time, so I suppose the syncing part of the experience would trip me up - I'd have to spend ages trying to find my place on the larger device, when I got back to it.
Just so you know, the Kindle app will sync with any device you have the app on so that you can move seemlessly from one device to another. I am not sure about the others vendors like eNook or Apple, but suspect the same is true. Sometimes I read different books on each of my devices and sometimes it is the same book. It will ask you if you want to go to where you were on your other device.
Catherine and AJ
Currently Reading: Harry potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by Catherine and AJ »

I used to read on my smart phone when I didn't have a Kindle, but I couldn't do it for very long. I can read in the car, but not when I am reading on my smart phone. That is the only time when reading in the car can make me feel queasy.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I use to read on my smartphone until I got my tablet. The text was smaller but it was bearable. Honestly, it was probably a little more convenient than my tablet because it is smaller and easier to take with me wherever I go.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Reading on your smart phone - This is also good especially if you are on the go and have some time to spend reading. However I find that my eyes smart after a few hours of reading. But it's worth it!
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

Its easier, you just have to give it a try.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I love it, especially because then I can read anywhere and whenever I want. It allows me to read while commuting, but I also love to fall asleep reading or at least listening to an audiobook. It's not good for the eyes as the font is small, but it's still enjoyable.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

When in bed it is easier to read with and handle, I love how I can cover myself with the blankets and still read. Not very good for the eyes though.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
noamme

Post by noamme »

Am used to doin that. Cant help myself about it.. i usually make sure my light is on at nights to reduce the effect of the smartphone brightness on my eyes
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

I read on my smartphone because it's handy to take to places like work to read on breaks and lunches instead of carrying a book around. I prefer a book if at all possible, but it is nice to have the smartphone to know you have a book with you wherever you go.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”