Reading on your smart phone

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
afolkner95
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afolkner95.html

Re: Reading on your smart phone

Post by afolkner95 »

I tried to start reading this book on my iPhone. I have the app iBooks, so I looked through the huge library of free books and picked a few to download. I just could not get into the book, not because of the content, but because it was somewhat uncomfortable to read. If that makes sense? I would rather have a paperback book in my head. The tradition way of reading. I just cannot read books on my iPhone.
MeRead
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meread.html

Post by MeRead »

I like to listen to audiobooks on my phone but I can't read on it. My eyesight isn't what it once was and the small text is just too much for me. If I'd had my phone years ago when my eyesight was still 20/20 I'd have been all over it, but now...nope. Sadly. :geek:
Heather3girls

Post by Heather3girls »

I love reading on my phone and tablet. The cons are it can be very draining on my eyes and if I'm reading too long on the phone or tablet the words become blur. The pros it's so nice not too have to carry books around. I also love that u can adjust the size of the fonts to bigger as well as go back very easily. It's very convenient.
Leila +7
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leila-7.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Leila +7 »

I read alot on my phone,but I do find that it gives me headaches. It's so convenient.I have like 3 e book readers on my phone so that I can read e pub ,mobi or pdf that's not an option with a kindle or like devices.I also can read while hubby sleeps without having to turn the bedlight on.win -win!!!
Arie_
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: NYPD Red 1
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arie.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Arie_ »

I will read on either my phone or my Kindle. It depends on where I am and which is more comfortable. Sometimes my phone is easier because I don't always need wifi to get on a reading app and purchase books.
tepih

Post by tepih »

I found it to be very hard to read on my phone so I use tablet for reading.
BookSnuggle
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksnuggle.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BookSnuggle »

I read on an iPhone 5 for a couple of years. The past eight months I have been reading on an iPhone 6 plus. When I'm reading in bed or in a dark place I set the background to black, the font to white, and the brightness is down pretty low and I don't have any problems. You can also adjust the font size. If I fall asleep, I don't have to worry about dropping my iPad or Dell table. I read constantly on my iPhone and love it! I have unlimited books I can access at any time.
dririe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dririe.html

Post by dririe »

I use the Kindle app on my phone and iPad. Its really convenient and a good way to spend time while waiting or relaxing.
MarieMc
Currently Reading: Host
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariemc.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MarieMc »

I read on my iPhone, tablet, computer, what ever I can get the book on. Font size can be changed to fit what is needed. I like using the iPhone for reading when I am in the waiting room at the Dr.'s office.... very handy. I often make sure I have the book available on all of my devices so that I can read wherever I am and have a minute.
Today is a good day
to have GOOD day!!
Thesaurus Rex
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesaurus-rex.html

Post by Thesaurus Rex »

I don't have a smart phone. I have a dumb phone.
btburt
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Aquarius Rising Book 2: Blood Tide</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reading Device: B0097CZBH4

Post by btburt »

I started out reading eBooks on a "1st generation" Kindle. I thought it was a pretty cool reading device, although the buttons were clunky and a bit cumbersome. Then I (and my wife) transitioned to a 1st-gen iPad. LOVED that, actually... until my 9-year-old gradually "annexed" the iPad. (It had some excellent educational games, like Math vs. Zombies, so I was okay with that. ;-) Now I do in fact read eBooks on my iPhone 5. It took some getting used to - I thought the small screen would cause me eye strain (my eyes are old and tired) - but it hasn't been an issue. The resolution is solid, and as others have mentioned, I can adjust the font size if needed.

I've also started listening to audiobooks on the iPhone, which is pretty great. With the Overdrive app, I can check out audiobooks from our library's digital network, then I can listen while walking, riding the exercise bike, etc. Any opinions on audiobook vs. standard reading experience?
vvish
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by vvish »

You carry your smart phone , you carry your whole library with you. To me its super convenient and lighter ;)
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

I usually read normal, tangible books but I read the book for my last review on my phone. It's very convenient, and I can read on the train etc., but my eyes did get very sore after a while. I'm also a bit paranoid flashing my phone in public because I have been mugged several times, so I only do it in rush hour when the trains are safer. I've never had an incident on the train but I've witnessed a couple of attempted robberies.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
free_dreamer
Currently Reading: The Resolution for Women
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-free-dreamer.html

Post by free_dreamer »

Love to do this, as it is not always convenient to carry a book everywhere. And when I find myself waiting places, or on lunch at work, I enjoy delving into a few pages (or more) of a good book.
xploitelite

Post by xploitelite »

i dont really like reading on a pjone

-- 15 Jun 2015, 15:39 --

i mean phone

-- 15 Jun 2015, 15:40 --

but it is convenient for my books to be all in one place

-- 15 Jun 2015, 15:40 --

but it is convenient for my books to be all in one place

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”