Printed books being overthrone by digital ones?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Rtyhgn85
Bookshelf Size: 0

Printed books being overthrone by digital ones?

Post by Rtyhgn85 »

Hi guys,
I'm just wondering how many of you believe there's validity in the claim that printed books are going the way of the dinosaur? For example it's a fact that digital books outsold physical ones in 2010. Personally I'm not too worried about this because there are many pros to books being predominantly digital.

-Can always jump straight to your page

- No need to carry around an extra item with you if you can read them all on your kindle or Iphone

-Many websites offer a one-time membership fee, and then let you download all the latest books for free after you've signed up.

What do you guys think?
Pecorino

Post by Pecorino »

Even if they say that printed books are going extinct, I'd still prefer to have printed copies of the novels that I read.

Reading online always makes my head hurt, downloading is tedious, plus I just love the scent of the pages whenever I turn them (don't judge me :lol:)
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

With the popularity of the iPad, Nook, and other devices of the same ilk and size I can see that the printed page may someday meet it's demise. Truthfully though until e-readers are distributed to children in school for free or nearly so we'll not see paper become obsolete.

There are still many more people who don't have access to digital resources. Libraries were built so that everyone regardless of socioeconomic back ground can have access to books if paper were to become obsolete then something has to take it's place. Would a library be willing to purchase a hundred e-readers and loan them out for free?

Someday ink and paper books may come to an end but I don't believe any one of us will ever see that day.
"When the give you things, ask yourself why.
When you're grateful to them for giving you the things you should already have anyway, ask yourself why."
-Lady in Blue, rebel broadcast
BookWorm617

Post by BookWorm617 »

Tip the Bottle wrote:With the popularity of the iPad, Nook, and other devices of the same ilk and size I can see that the printed page may someday meet it's demise. Truthfully though until e-readers are distributed to children in school for free or nearly so we'll not see paper become obsolete.

There are still many more people who don't have access to digital resources. Libraries were built so that everyone regardless of socioeconomic back ground can have access to books if paper were to become obsolete then something has to take it's place. Would a library be willing to purchase a hundred e-readers and loan them out for free?

Someday ink and paper books may come to an end but I don't believe any one of us will ever see that day.
Thank goodness. I love me Kindle but it does not replace my books. Plus if I download a book that I love I will purchase a copy of it.
Anna_21

Post by Anna_21 »

A serious question here that i have found on many forums. I for once do hope the classic "cut tree make book" format won't be replaced. Is nothing comparing to the feeling of turning one page after another and be absorbed in the action
Fleaaaaaa

Post by Fleaaaaaa »

I find it highly unlikely. I have a reader and I enjoy it but I don't exclusively only read on it. If I find a better offer on a book I will buy the paper version and I don't think I'm alone on this.

I think libraries will always carry paper books, everyone can get a paper book of the library but not everyone can afford a reader. Some people don't like technology, some people are die hard paper book fans.

So for me I'll take both, I will probably be doing most of my "classics" reading on the reader. Sometimes readers do funny things too I just finished reading The End of the Affair by Graham Greene and certain pages I could only view by zooming in, very annoying and the page numbers didn't change every time I turned which I found frustrating as I couldn't see my actual progress. I also had a copy of the book out from the library and a read the last sixty pages on paper. If everything works on the reader all is well and I am happy to read it all on there but sometimes, as with all technology, there are complications.
Neveranda

Post by Neveranda »

It's a digital age! But I doubt the physical books will dissappear. ever. I know too many readers that enjoy the actual physical book in their hands over some of the new technology Ipads and Itouches and Kindle.
vansusa

Post by vansusa »

I have a reader and I enjoy it but I don't exclusively only read on it.
vans,shoes,usa
mouseofcards89
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoevsky
Favorite Book: Notes From Underground
Currently Reading: Precipice
fav_author_id: 9263

Post by mouseofcards89 »

Rtyhgn85 wrote:What do you guys think?
Print books will be obsolete within 100 years. Bookstores as we know them will cease to exist, and will be replaced by 'digital cafes,' or slightly souped up versions of Starbucks.
"The world is a vampire/sent to drain/secret destroyers hold you up to the flames/And what do I get for my pains?/Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game."
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

I highly doubt that we will get to this level. Sales for physical books are through the roof, and their competitor can't overthrow them that easily. I give it a good 150-200 more years.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think it'll happen eventually but not anytime soon. I still love the smell of printed books. Books are still books no matter the form, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Rtyhgn85 wrote:Hi guys,
I'm just wondering how many of you believe there's validity in the claim that printed books are going the way of the dinosaur? For example it's a fact that digital books outsold physical ones in 2010. Personally I'm not too worried about this because there are many pros to books being predominantly digital.

-Can always jump straight to your page

- No need to carry around an extra item with you if you can read them all on your kindle or Iphone

-Many websites offer a one-time membership fee, and then let you download all the latest books for free after you've signed up.

What do you guys think?
In general I think ebooks are for voracious readers but print still works for a lot of people. The ebook features though are pretty incredible, like page flip, and amazon still owns the industry. They are the opposite of Apple, in that they are actually on top and innovating instead of just sitting back on their laurels.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

It's been some eight years since I "discovered" ebooks and I haven't looked back. Now I can't even remember what the last paper book was that I read. And of course physical books take up a lot of space, and are a bit of a hassle to manage is what I've learned through my recent moving experience. As technology becomes more embedded into our culture I think paper books will go the way of the dinosaur. There will come a point where printing books, maintaining stores in which to sell them, and all the other things, will no longer be profitable.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I think printed books will always exist because people like having a physical book in their hands. I wont deny though that digital books have had a negative impact on the sale of printed ones.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Printed books are currently being overthrown by Ebooks and that's a fact. And there's no turning back. And I'm happy with my EBooks.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”