Are Books Disappearing?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Kmikel0509
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmikel0509.html

Re: Are Books Disappearing?

Post by Kmikel0509 »

I don't think they are. I think people still feel that the physical copies are special in some way
daretofail

Post by daretofail »

Books will never disappear. The bond that people have with paper books is extremely personal and authentic, even more so than it ever was with music on LPs or CDs, and even those continue to persist despite the advent of the mp3.
aspen_janine
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-janine.html

Post by aspen_janine »

I love my Kindle because of convenience but i still find books have a magical feel to them, even though i don't tend to go into libraries anymore i still have that same awe of them that i had as a kid. I think that Kindles are good to keep reading current in today's culture but true book fans will always appreciate how special books are. Books have history & personality, bookshops are magical places but kindles and amazon are just a non personal way to buy. What story starts with ("I was browsing Amazon...")
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Not at my house! They keep appearing and appearing by the dozens! It's like an epidemic!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ALynnPowers wrote:Not at my house! They keep appearing and appearing by the dozens! It's like an epidemic!
That is so weird!
The same thing happens to me...
It just happened today!
I was just standing there and suddenly {WHAM!} More books to read...
This phenomenon should be studied

Spmebody call the scientists!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
dixiewitch1989
Favorite Author: too many
Favorite Book: prefers fantasy
Currently Reading: tedd dekkers the lost books series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dixiewitch1989.html

Post by dixiewitch1989 »

Despite the growing popularity of e-books there will always be true books. The feel of the pages and the scent of a new book are akin to that of a new pair of shoes! Plus there is something exquisitely satisfying about seeing your vast collection of volumes lining your book cases.
BookWorm1620
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm1620.html

Post by BookWorm1620 »

I love the smell of books, the feeling of the pages in between my fingers and how I can pick one up anywhere anytime. I don't know how life would be using an ereader.
readaddict
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readaddict.html

Post by readaddict »

I don't think they will disappear but I think there will be a lot less printings.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

Even though I love physical books, there is a good side to their shortage: less trees are put down for paper production and less pollutable ink is used.
I like digital books but I know not everyone would be happy with it.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

At an alarming rate. Only the other day I blinked and my entire collection had disappeared! :shock:

Seriously, though, I think not. There are still many people who prefer paper versions of books (including myself) and there are still plenty of stores selling them. It's more like having stairs and escalators: different forms for different purposes.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

ryanj1 wrote:At an alarming rate. Only the other day I blinked and my entire collection had disappeared! :shock:

Seriously, though, I think not. There are still many people who prefer paper versions of books (including myself) and there are still plenty of stores selling them. It's more like having stairs and escalators: different forms for different purposes.
Aw, I was going to make a joke like that!
My books keep disappearing because I have been slowly storing them away in protective dust free cases and shoving them in the back of the closet so they will stop taking so much space on my desk. I should get a bookshelf, but I'm poor and have no space... :|
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I don't think so. A good example of this is my in-person book club. The majority of the members either order the physical book online, buy it in a Barnes and Noble store, or get it from the library. There is one woman who always buys the e-books, and 1 other who occasionally buys the e-book versions. Many of the members bring the book to the meetings.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Chloe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chloe.html

Post by Chloe »

The trouble is with the prices kindle books so low at first glance people will just grab a kindle and go but they don't realise that looking at a screen for ages damages your eyes and doesn't have as good effect as helping you sleep as the light emitted from the screen doesn't help you sleep. The main advantage of kindles, are they save space

-- 11 Dec 2014, 12:14 --
Himmelslicht wrote:Even though I love physical books, there is a good side to their shortage: less trees are put down for paper production and less pollutable ink is used.
I agree but in some cases (depending on where the paper is stocked from) it can be that you are supporting tree farms by paying the farmers and results in more trees being planted as the business grows.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

Chloe wrote:The trouble is with the prices kindle books so low at first glance people will just grab a kindle and go but they don't realise that looking at a screen for ages damages your eyes and doesn't have as good effect as helping you sleep as the light emitted from the screen doesn't help you sleep. The main advantage of kindles, are they save space

-- 11 Dec 2014, 12:14 --
Himmelslicht wrote:Even though I love physical books, there is a good side to their shortage: less trees are put down for paper production and less pollutable ink is used.
I agree but in some cases (depending on where the paper is stocked from) it can be that you are supporting tree farms by paying the farmers and results in more trees being planted as the business grows.
To be honest I know little about the subject. I don't know how many trees are put down vs. how many trees are burned in Summer fires.
But I do know that recycled-paper books are a good thing and it would be good if more books started being printed using recycled paper.
As for the trees and pollution, most of it is caused by deforestation to sell the raw wood in the black market and to open some room to build slaughterhouses and things of that sort. Books are definitely not the biggest concern in deforestation.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

I don't think new reading material/novels will ever be exhausted. Consider how many people write just for love of it that never get chosen by publishers. Now, they can indy publish and be read. Digital books are cheaper to produce so in many cases, the author's tiny share isn't what gets cut when the e-book price is low. It's the overhead that it gone - shipping, printing, paper. And I think digital books are more environmentally sustainable. I often think about how many trees it takes to produce the number of books on the shelves. Sure, trees are renewable but they don't grow that quickly and they have many uses. Reducing our need for paper seems to me like a positive environmental impact, though I guess potentially that's outweighed by the energy needs or digital readers, but I doubt it. My kindle charges in a few hours on a solar charger and only needs charged once a month.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”