Are Books Disappearing?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
anicole27
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anicole27.html

Re: Are Books Disappearing?

Post by anicole27 »

I am a voracious reader, and have a library full of books, but on Christmas 2012 I was gifted an Amazon kindle. It's the greatest gift I have ever received, it's so much easier than a regular paper book. It's more portable. I can read it in between the flashing lights on the el, I can read it in the evenings. My nighttime ritual includes reading a book. That hasn't changed since I was a child. I shower and then read until I fall asleep. Now with my kindle it cuts down on my light bill. With that said books will never disappear, so many people like myself are avid readers. I sometimes go to bookstores just to smell books. That environment is incomparable, the smell of the books the light chatter of patrons, the tingling charm of the door as it opens and closes, the noise of the cash register, these are all familiar sounds that I could not live without and I'm sure a lot of people would agree. The inspiration and imagination will always be there, so there will always be books.
kellyhontas1014

Post by kellyhontas1014 »

It seems to me that I use my e-reader more than I read a printed book, but, then again, I still seem to have enough books in the house to donate a couple of large boxes to my local library every year. As far as reading, I have no preference. If I am traveling for any reason, It's e-reader all the way. I can take a virtual library with me, anywhere. If I want to reference something, I love my printed books.I don't think books will ever disappear.
Adrienne78

Post by Adrienne78 »

I think books will be a thing of the past. Technology is growing rapidly. I predict within five years, the only place to find books is in libraries. And even then, there they will have slim pickings.
Ian
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ian.html

Post by Ian »

NO,THEY NEVER WILL.sorry to shout.
michael_smith
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-smith.html

Post by michael_smith »

I really don't think so. I enjoy using my Kindle, but I also still love the feel of a book in my hands.
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

This articles is almost a year old, but it might interest some of you http://www.americanlibrariesmagazine.or ... and-ebooks

They probably will eventually go to mostly paperback, cheaper copies, and/or downloadable, but there's a few bumps in the road that they're running into:

1. Even with the ebook, developmentally, a child needs the physical book while their brains are still developing. There are lot of problems coming out in research studies coming out that show part of a child's brain won't develop without that physical interaction with the pictures and text.

2. Teens don't really take to the ebooks that well statistically. They would still rather have the physical book.

3. Not all books work well yet for the ebook format. (i.e. Graphic Novels). They probably will all eventually, but it's a ways down the road.

Either way, it will be interesting to see where the industry keeps going or if the pendulum effect starts going back the other way.
AMarchAnt31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarchant31.html

Post by AMarchAnt31 »

I was talking to my brother about this today! I think it's sad that we've had this disconnection with the world of books. There's nothing better than that feeling of searching through bookshelves and finding that gem of a book that you pick up and can't put down.
mydarlingbeloved
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mydarlingbeloved.html

Post by mydarlingbeloved »

I think they will never disappear as long as real readers will rather a paper book.
Ulani Caite
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ulani-caite.html

Post by Ulani Caite »

I have tried to find several paperback copies of books only to come to understand that they have only been released in E-book format. Much to my dismay. However, I agree that too many people still want hard copies of the stories they read so, books in general won't disappear for a while, it at all, yet.
Annlistony+

Post by Annlistony+ »

Unfortunately, yes. I love my e-readers. The convenience alone is great. Although, what would I do without electricity?
SoftCoyote
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: Hawksong
Currently Reading: Through the Looking Glass
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-softcoyote.html
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by SoftCoyote »

When paperback books disappear that's when we know something has gone horribly wrong in the world.
If I'm going to collect a series I would definitely prefer a physical copy rather than an electronic. More value that way not just monetarily. Besides, you can run out of storage space on an ebook(though I haven't yet) but if you really want that particular book then you WILL find space. So, No, I don't think physical copies of books will disappear. Besides, they've been around for a long time. Too much culture and history in them.
W-Harbinger
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-w-harbinger.html
Latest Review: "Branded" by Katie Hamstead

Post by W-Harbinger »

I don't think books will completely disappear, no. However, I do believe that sells of paperback/hardbound books nowadays are in the decline due to the fact that many digital copies can readily be found online and at a cheaper price. Add to that the fact that digital copies can be sold by new and upcoming writers much easier... Well, I'm just glad there are people who still enjoy physically turning a page.
Latest Review: "Branded" by Katie Hamstead
hallmanj36

Post by hallmanj36 »

I believe it is possible that paper books will eventually, one day disappear. However, i do not think authors will quit writing. they will still sale the books, just maybe not in print. the authors will still get paid for what they write, they will just be saling them in e-book format instead of paper. And I still think it will be a very, very long time b/f paper books are nonexistant.
Cyds+myview

Post by Cyds+myview »

I am new to this site (just registered today), but I certainly hope that this does not happen. I LOVE my kindle! I was not sure if I would like putting down my paper books, but when my kids gave me a Kindle last year for my birthday, I grew to love it! I usually get free books listed on the squiddo site for top 100 free Kindle books, and enjoyed getting to know new authors work. :D
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

I see more books are available in electronic format, but I enjoy paper over screen anytime. Personally, as long as an ereader keeps people reading, I fine with either format. Reading is the important activity, not format.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”