Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by Scott »

GCamer wrote:1. .mobi

2. Android phone (Firefly Mobile Aurii Secret)

3. I've only opened free sample books from Amazon using the Amazon kindle.

4. First I tried sending the file to my Amazon kindle. Then I received an email message from Amazon saying "
The following document, sent at 09:26 AM on Mon, Apr 24, 2017 GMT could not be delivered to the Kindle you specified: * Ravens-Peak.mobi
"
So, I tried converting the file to doc or pdf using online converters but I couldn't. There's always an error. I also deleted my Amazon kindle to download it again. But now I couldn't download it anymore. I think my free trial has expired so I tried other readers such as eReader Prestigio, Cool Reader and PocketBook. They could open the .mobi file that I've downloaded but it only shows one empty page.

5. This is my first time using Amazon Kindle. I've only had it for a month and I've only been using free sample books from Amazon so I haven't experienced other problems before.

6. Error message from sending email to kindle
"
Dear Customer,

The following document, sent at 09:26 AM on Mon, Apr 24, 2017 GMT could not be delivered to the Kindle you specified:
* Ravens-Peak.mobi

The Kindle Personal Document Service can convert and deliver the following types of documents:
Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
Rich Text Format (.rtf)
HTML (.htm, .html)
Text (.txt) documents
Archived documents (zip , x-zip) and compressed archived documents
Mobi book

Images that are of type JPEGs (.jpg), GIFs (.gif), Bitmaps (.bmp), and PNG images (.png).
Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents are delivered without conversion to Kindle DX, Second Generation and Latest Generation Kindles.

Adobe PDF (.pdf) can be converted to Kindle format and delivered on an experimental basis.

If the document that failed belonged to one of the above document types, please ensure the document is not password protected or encrypted. Note that the Latest Generation Kindles support password protected PDFs.
"

7. Yes. I used my phone's file manager to move the file into the 'books' folder of the app. Then I pressed sync to update my Amazon Kindle But I still couldn't find the file there. Like I mentioned above. I've tried using other readers and I was successful at finding the file but it only opens to a single empty page.

I think I've downloaded a corrupt or maybe encrypted file. Can I download another version of the book? If not, can I just cancel my review for that book?
For books from the Review Team, you should be able to re-download the book file from the update tab of the Review Team Page.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Phronesis
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Phronesis »

1. Epub
2. Android phone
3. No
4. I tried converting it to another file
5. It's unable to convert this file
6. It says something about a Zip and something about it being protected
7. Yes, I tried downloading the app, but I was told it isn't available in my country, I'm from Nigeria
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Phronesis wrote:1. Epub
2. Android phone
3. No
4. I tried converting it to another file
5. It's unable to convert this file
6. It says something about a Zip and something about it being protected
7. Yes, I tried downloading the app, but I was told it isn't available in my country, I'm from Nigeria
@Phronesis If you can't get the apps suggested, please try Calibre instead. It also free.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

Phronesis

Post by Phronesis »

I'm finding that difficult also, pls can I just change the format I selected the book in, to another format that can be opened in my device?
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

Thanks for the reply. But after re-downloading the book file from the update tab over and over, I still couldn't open a working file.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Swara Sangeet wrote:1. .mobi
2. Android phone
3. Yes
4. It's true that I have faced the same problem before when I tried to open the file directly from the place it was downloaded. But then I read the tips in this post and tried moving the file to the kindle folder in my phone itself. It still didn't work. Then I downloaded it again and moved it by using my SD card in my computer. I could finally access it in the Amazon Kindle app then.
5. When I open it directly from its place of download, I get an error message "Can't open file'. Even after doing the same procedure I had done previously (refer 4), the file is not shown in the Amazon Kindle app even after synchronization.
6. Yes, I got the error message " Can't open file" when I tried to access it directly from the downloads.
7. Yes, I have tried and re-tried all the Top Tips to no avail.

Kindly help me.
This has happened for two books now. I would appreciate it if the format may be changed. .mobi, .epub and Kindle were working for me before but are giving a hard time now. Please change my preferences.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Scott wrote:
  • 1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?
    Kindle

2. What device are using to try to open it?
    Kindle Paperwhite

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?
    Yes, many times

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.
    After clicking on the link in Amazon to download/purchase the book, I go to the home page on my device and the book icon is there with a "queued" message. If the icon is not there, I click on the "my library" link and will see the book title there. When I click on the book title, it takes me back to the home page with the book icon, then the "queued" message appears.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?
    After clicking the download link on Amazon, no icon or book title appears on my Kindle for this book. When I tried to download the free sample, it worked fine.

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
    No

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying.
    Yes

By answering all of these questions, you will give me the information I need to help.
Thanks for this guide...it is very helpful! :D
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
jhencasas
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jhencasas »

1. epub

2. Smart phone

3. No.

4. I clicked the link that says download the book. It was downloaded successfully. However, when I clicked the file. There's an error message "can't open file"

5. I've tried to download free nook app but it is not available in our country.

7. Yes.
GCamer
Currently Reading:

Post by GCamer »

After sending an error report on the update tab on the review team page, I was given an extension for the book. Today I tried downloading again. Though I still couldn't open it using the Amazon kindle, I can now FINALLY open a working copy on my eReader Prestigio.

Thank you very much for helping me! ^_^
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

e-tasana-williams wrote:
Scott wrote:
  • 1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?
    Kindle

2. What device are using to try to open it?
    Kindle Paperwhite

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?
    Yes, many times

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.
    After clicking on the link in Amazon to download/purchase the book, I go to the home page on my device and the book icon is there with a "queued" message. If the icon is not there, I click on the "my library" link and will see the book title there. When I click on the book title, it takes me back to the home page with the book icon, then the "queued" message appears.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?
    After clicking the download link on Amazon, no icon or book title appears on my Kindle for this book. When I tried to download the free sample, it worked fine.

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
    No

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying.
    Yes

By answering all of these questions, you will give me the information I need to help.
Thanks for this guide...it is very helpful! :D
@e-tasana-williams I'm sorry, "Kindle" isn't a file format. If the problem is with opening or reading a book that you've actually purchased for Kindle from Amazon, then you would need to contact Amazon technical support if that's not working.

-- 29 Apr 2017 07:24 pm --
jhencasas wrote:1. epub

2. Smart phone

3. No.

4. I clicked the link that says download the book. It was downloaded successfully. However, when I clicked the file. There's an error message "can't open file"

5. I've tried to download free nook app but it is not available in our country.

7. Yes.
@jhencasas Calibre can also open epub files, so please try using Calibre. Let me know what happens when you try to Calibre.

Phronesis

Post by Phronesis »

Please I am still waiting for a reply to my previous message
GCamer
Currently Reading:

Post by GCamer »

Hi! You can try downloading 'eReader Prestigio'. I got mine free from playstore. Then try downloading the file again.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

GCamer wrote:After sending an error report on the update tab on the review team page, I was given an extension for the book. Today I tried downloading again. Though I still couldn't open it using the Amazon kindle, I can now FINALLY open a working copy on my eReader Prestigio.

Thank you very much for helping me! ^_^
Thank you so much for this tip! I had tried all the methods to open the book to no avail. I was finally able to access it after downloading eReader Prestigio. Thanks a million!
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Phronesis wrote:Please I am still waiting for a reply to my previous message
@"Phronesis" The app eReader Prestigio works on Android.

Phronesis

Post by Phronesis »

I am still waiting for help in opening the file I downloaded or is it possible for me to download it another format? It will be nice if I could change the format. I have already gotten an email about my backwardness in the the review of the book. But the problem is that I am not being attend to even after my previous posts stating my problem

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”