Kindle Device vs Kindle App

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
JSSaunders
Bookshelf Size: 0

Kindle Device vs Kindle App

Post by JSSaunders »

So, I have had the Kindle app on my android phone for years and I love it. The screen is a bit small though so I am thinking of getting something bigger. Should I just get a larger tablet and get the Kindle app again or should I just get a kindle device. Does the device have something that the app doesn't or vice versa?

Thanks for the advice.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think it all comes down to your preferences. I personally would get a bigger android tablet and keep using the kindle app. I think you can find other apps that are better on an android tablet than a kindle tablet. If ALL you are planning on doing is reading, then you might just want the kindle tablet.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MythicDrmR
Currently Reading: Empire of Night
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mythicdrmr.html

Post by MythicDrmR »

I originally started reading ebooks on my Palm and that was really small. Later, I bought and used an early Kindle and I liked it, exept for the need for an outside light source to read at night. I moved towards the Kindle app on my phones and iPads and I've never really looked back. For me, it is about having one device that I can do multiple things on. Of course I am using one of the devices with the largest screens, but I need that for general vision and not just reading. It ultimately depends on whether you would rather carry a phone and a Kindle (or other dedicated reader), or even a separate tablet. For me a phone with a large screen and a Kindle app gives me the flexibility I need to read, and play, and stay in touch. I also access my local library's media options on my phone as well... in case you did not know that was an option! :)
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I think both are fine. I, myself, prefer the Kindle app. I have it downloaded on my phone and my tablet. It is really convenient to be able to read my books on either device if one needs to be charged or if I temporarily lose one. Its a great app to have.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I would recommend going to best buy, and holding each of them first. That is the best way to make sure you like the look and weight of the device. Especially if you read as much as I do. My favorite is currently the Voyage, it's quite lightweight, with lighting better than a phone or tablet.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Mickiee
Currently Reading: Laiden's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 55

Post by Mickiee »

I definitely prefer the app. I have used an e-reader and as someone else mentioned, I always had problems reading at night as there was no backlight. I realize the newer ones have backlight and other fancies, but I kind of found needing to drag 2 devices around a bit of a hassle also.
Someone else mentioned that the size on thier phones was a bit difficult to read. I have that issue too sometimes, and I bought myself a mini iPad to have at home for when I'm reading alot. I use my cell when Im out and about. Hope this helps!
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

I have both Kindle reader app on my smartphone and a Kindle Paperwhite reader. Both are great. But I leave my paperwhite at home, by my bedside for night reading. The problem with the paperwhite is that there is only black and white and all shades of gray. No colors. However I am satisfied with my paperwhite.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”