Which Kindle model should I choose?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.

Which kindle model do you recommend?

1. Kindle touch
No votes
2. Paperwhite
100%
3. Kindle Voyage
No votes
4. Kindle Oasis
No votes

Total votes: 4

pudy_wudy
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pudy-wudy.html

Which Kindle model should I choose?

Post by pudy_wudy »

I'm thinking of buying a e-book reader, and the obvious choice would be a Kindle. But which model should I get, and why? Does the newest model have all the features the previous models have, and more?
FangirlAhead
Currently Reading: Beyond the Rising Tide
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fangirlahead.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by FangirlAhead »

Personally, I'd say go with a Kindle Paperwhite. I used to have one, and I swear, I could read that thing anywhere! At the beach, in a dark bedroom -- I'd just adjust the backlight, and boom! And personally, I think the backlight and the higher resolution on the Paperwhite are worth it, although that's really up to you. I have a regular Kindle with no backlight now, and it works just fine if I'm out and about, although I can't read it in my dark bedroom anymore. But good news: you can buy older models of the Paperwhite and essentially get the same thing! Here's more info from a reviewer who's had all the Paperwhite models from 2012 to 2015:

I am somewhat disappointed in the 2015 version as there is not a huge improvement over last year’s model. The Paperwhite made many improvements from its original first generation 2012 model to its second generation 2013 model, especially in the display and processor area. The 2013 model came with 2 GB storage, a wonderful display, a great battery and was the e-book “workhorse.” The second generation 2014 model changed by only increasing storage to 4 GB. The third generation 2015 model increased the display resolution but reduced the battery life slightly.

Personally, I had no problem storing about 1,000 on my 2013 Paperwhite, so unless you plan on storing a whole library on your Paperwhite, 2 GB storage should be just fine. And a 2013 model would definitely be cheaper than the listed $120. Just from a cursory Amazon search, a 2013 Paperwhite with Wi-fi and special offers (the cheapest version) in an acceptable condition costs about $60, cheaper than the latest regular Kindle!

Whatever you choose, good luck finding the perfect e-reader for you.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I hope you don't mind that I added a poll to your post. I also want to upgrade my kindle. I am debating between the Paperwhite and the Voyage.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Chris Manning
Currently Reading: Neuromancer
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-manning.html
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin
Reading Device: B01EVOWRCY

Post by Chris Manning »

Thank you for the info FangirlAhead. I just ordered a Kindle Paperwhite, and based on your positive review, I'm sure I made the right decision. I've been reading books on my iPhone 6s, and the light and small screen have strained my eyes. The Kindle Paperwhite appears to be the closest thing you can get to an actual book.
Latest Review: "Sunspots" by Gary Martin
FangirlAhead
Currently Reading: Beyond the Rising Tide
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fangirlahead.html

Post by FangirlAhead »

That's great, Chris! I know how you feel -- I just can't read on my phone for more than 10 minutes without my eyes starting to cross. Tell me how you like your Paperwhite when it comes!
QuothTheRaven
Currently Reading: Night School
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quoththeraven.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by QuothTheRaven »

I know I am late to the dance here, but I agree that for cost, size, and ability to read in any environment that the Paperwhite is the way to go. I love mine, and take it with me everywhere.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”