Why does it have to be a competition?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
ErinM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Why does it have to be a competition?

Post by ErinM »

I got my first kindle about 6 and a half years ago, it was a 2nd generation white one with a keyboard on the device (not a touchscreen) and I loved it!!! i was living in a share house with no bookshelves and on pretty poor pay so it was perfect for me!

I now have the 1st generation of the paperwhite, bought by my husband as a valentines day gift and its been the best thing ever, but physical books still hold a certain sway over me. I still don't have any bookshelves but that hasn't stopped me from buying the occasional paperback, mostly i get my paperback and the odd hardcover fix from the library.

I have even recently gotten into listening to audible audiobooks.

personally to me, there's no competition, reading is reading and the format is irrelevant :)
DB44
Currently Reading: Breaths in Winter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-db44.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00REQKWGA

Post by DB44 »

ErinM wrote:personally to me, there's no competition, reading is reading and the format is irrelevant :)
I agree. Reading is reading, be it paper book, ebook or even audiobook. The format is a matter of personal preference.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I do not think an audiobook counts as reading so I do not prefer audio books.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

Me too.:).....I prefer paperbooks the most. I'm so comfortable with them!
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

uh, I don't know....I use the kindle app but I prefer real books, I like turning the pages and the feel of books next to the kindle
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It sure doesn't have to be. I read all formats, except audible audiobooks, but lately I read more ebooks.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Echristian102

Post by Echristian102 »

I agree
lilblondiy03
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilblondiy03.html

Post by lilblondiy03 »

I completely agree with this. I tend to lean towards ebooks more, but its just because of the ease of them. I like the fact too that I can change the font size, background etc.
MelissaY

Post by MelissaY »

We have a mixed household of readers. I love paper books BUT I like to lay in bed at night and am able to read on my phone or iPad and not keep my husband awake. It's also less to pack when we go on trips. My son loves to read also and likes paper books. The issue is he reads sometimes 4-5 books at a time and wants to carry them all with him. For Christmas he is getting a fire tablet. We are hoping that it will be easier for him to keep up with his books and less to carry around.

I don't listen to audible books but my grandma does and really enjoys it. She has bad eyesight & has always had to have large print books. Now that she's gotten older she has a hard time holding the books for long periods. Now she's able to sit in her chair and relax and listen to a book.
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

It has to be a competition because we're only human, despite our best efforts to the contrary. Humans simply need to compete over something, even if that something is ebook vs paper book. Personally, I, like so many others on this thread, agree that such a competition is a waste of time. Time that could be spent reading, writing, or doing just about anything else. But, we will continue to compete as long as there's something to compete over.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Well, I believe that everything is a competition but it depends on how we look at competition. It's either a competition within or a competition without. You start competing with others if you start comparing yourself with others. You can also maintain competition within. Compete with your time, compete with the other calling of small voices in your brain. you can win the competition by setting goals.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think there are a lot of advantages to audio books. In my family, we use them to help long car trips go faster. Also for those who are older or have trouble reading for one reason or another, audio books can be a great tool. You're right. Reading is reading.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

There's no competition whatsoever. I am happy with my smartphone EReaders (KOBO etc) and with my Kindle Paperwhite.
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

It depends on the reader, where he finds himself comfortable.
Eoui
Favorite Author: Timothy Zahn
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eoui.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 9892

Post by Eoui »

kandscreeley wrote:I think there are a lot of advantages to audio books. In my family, we use them to help long car trips go faster. Also for those who are older or have trouble reading for one reason or another, audio books can be a great tool. You're right. Reading is reading.
It's great for people with a lot of hobbies too or even just house cleaning. I take my phone around with me, playing audiobooks while I clean and garden. I have way too many hobbies and sometimes it's hard to justify sitting and reading when I have art to finish or a craft to sew. It certainly takes a particular person to be able to listen for hours and it really comes down to the narrator for a lot of books. It's not readying exactly, but it is enjoying a story.
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”