Im Having Issues Deciding on a New Upgrade

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Mynxofhearts
Currently Reading: Icarus Rising
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mynxofhearts.html
Reading Device: B00REQKWGA

Im Having Issues Deciding on a New Upgrade

Post by Mynxofhearts »

Hi everyone! I'm between reading devices and I need some opinions.
I have a second generation Kindle Paperwhite. I have near 1000 books, in the mid 900s. It gets laggy, downloaded or not. I have a huge thing about keeping books downloaded, because I'm kind of random about what I want to read and I always have the kindle on me. Its battery life makes it so I really just never take it out of my purse but once in a while to download.
in that respect I'm having troubles with the lag and I want to upgrade.
I have used the Fire HD7, the Fire HDX 6, apps on Samsung, etc. I didn't like the HD7 or th eHDX 6 because I like being able to see my documents IN my kindle library under books, not as a separate section. The Android App on my Samsung tablet, my phone, and kindle on the paperwhite shows everything together. This is my dilemma.

If I go with a newer paperwhite, such as the 2015 model, is it likely ill have the same lagging issues? Ive seen a lot of troubleshooting about the lag for the 2013 model but not the newer model yet. Also, is the voyage worth the upgrade? or even the oasis? The oasis is over budget for me, and the voyage is breaking the bank close. I just want something that doesn't have so much of the lag.

to define the lag better, a lot of times I would say 2-3 times thru a full read of a book I will tap the screen to flip the page, and it will skip many pages. Sometimes it wont skip for quite a few seconds. Loading book titles takes forever.

I love reading on my Samsung tablet but it is a big battery waste.

Thanks for opinions!
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Hi! I recently (about three months ago) got the new Kindle Oasis and I love it! It's so light and easy to hold, also, they brought back buttons to turn the pages so I haven't noticed any issues with the lag like I did with the touch screen page flip (this is still a touch screen though!). I think you should definitely take a look into the Oasis. I use mine daily, the battery life is amazing too. Highly recommend. Good luck!
Mynxofhearts

Post by Mynxofhearts »

Thanks! I actually just ordered the oasis :-)
priyankasinghania
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by priyankasinghania »

Thanks, I recently Ordered.
Mynxofhearts

Post by Mynxofhearts »

I have to say, I REALLY enjoy the Oasis. Was it the e-reader I NEEDED - absolutely not. I do, however, love its more square size, I love the buttons, and I do enjoy the quality. The Voyage is also on its way (my husband decided he wanted one), and I can give you guys a really good review between the paperwhite I do have, the voyage, and the oasis shortly. I will say, no one will be disappointed in the Oasis if you have the money to spend!
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Mynxofhearts wrote:I have to say, I REALLY enjoy the Oasis. Was it the e-reader I NEEDED - absolutely not. I do, however, love its more square size, I love the buttons, and I do enjoy the quality. The Voyage is also on its way (my husband decided he wanted one), and I can give you guys a really good review between the paperwhite I do have, the voyage, and the oasis shortly. I will say, no one will be disappointed in the Oasis if you have the money to spend!

So glad you got the Oasis!! I have to say the size and shape (along with the buttons) is the best aspect of the device. I love that I can fit it right in my purse and it doesn't add much weight! Can't wait to hear what you think of the Voyage too. The ONLY thing I dislike about the Oasis was the price tag! But I definitely think it was the best choice for me. Hope you enjoy yours! Happy reading :D
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Mynxofhearts wrote:I have to say, I REALLY enjoy the Oasis. Was it the e-reader I NEEDED - absolutely not. I do, however, love its more square size, I love the buttons, and I do enjoy the quality. The Voyage is also on its way (my husband decided he wanted one), and I can give you guys a really good review between the paperwhite I do have, the voyage, and the oasis shortly. I will say, no one will be disappointed in the Oasis if you have the money to spend!
I would love to read your review about the different types as I want to upgrade as well. Thank you.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DB44
Currently Reading: Breaths in Winter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-db44.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by DB44 »

The Oasis is a really beautiful ereader, somewhat to my surprise. I bought mine when my Voyage had an unfortunate accident, entirely my fault. I had not thought that the new features were much of an improvement, but have changed my mind. Needed? No. Worthwhile and wanted? Definitely yes.

I'm not sure that there ia an ereader on the market that will not have some lag, particularly when a large number of books are on the device. Personally I solve this problem with Calibre. I keep few books on the device, but everything on Calibre. Everyone finds their own solution.

Mynxofhearts. How do you find the lag on the Oasis?
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
ameredith22
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ameredith22.html
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by ameredith22 »

I've been wanting to upgrade my Nook Simple Touch Glowlight for a while, but my husband kept saying it was an unnecessary purchase because there was nothing actually wrong with it (he seems to think if it's not broken it doesn't need to be replaced; no matter how old it is). I've always had nooks, but since wanting to upgrade I wanted to go with something different. I looked at the voyage and oasis, but the price was a bit too high on the oasis and once it came out the voyage seemed too small. I finally decided to ask for the Kobo Aura One for my birthday and am really excited about it... especially since I won't need an annoying water proof case anymore.

I've never had a large e-reader, and I know the Oasis is similar in size, how is it? Does it feel heavy or awkward?
Mynxofhearts

Post by Mynxofhearts »

I actually love love my oasis. Its small, comfortable, light. I never did order the voyage for my husband, but the voyage is an awesome reader as well. You can't go wrong with a kindle in my personal experience. I thought the small size would bother me (I have a 10 inch tablet I used to read on) but I find the small size seems to enhance my enjoyment.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”