Kindle - the great Text to Speech option

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
RJ65051
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj65051.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Kindle - the great Text to Speech option

Post by RJ65051 »

There's no way I'd be able to sit and read a book regularly - I do read when I can, but most of the time I'm listening to the text to speech option while busy around the house or gardens. I have to wear a certain type of shirt with a big pocket...and use caution how I move so my ear buds aren't yanked from my ears especially during a really good part of the story! I guess I look pretty comical to my neighbors who feel the need to watch me garden....heheh....
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
LadySunshine
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladysunshine.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by LadySunshine »

I had not heard of this option before; but I can see that it is an excellent idea ! As a senior citizen, I know that my eyes are just not as good as they used to be, and there will probably come a time when I am not able to read books anymore. Since we can actually set the type size on a Kindle, or other digital e-reader, it does make it a lwhole lot easier to read the digital books than it is to read a paperback version. I seldom even buy an actual paperback book anymore, and the print size is part of the reason that I don't.
Even though I prefer to read a book, there are times when being able to just listen to it being read would be a good thing, and headphones would still keep it private.
When I chcked out the Kindle Text to Speech option, I also discovered that you can do the same thing on your iPhone or iPad.
There is a voiceover function that can be used, and when turned on, it will read whatever is on the book or article that you want to have read. RT
Glittery1
Currently Reading: Buried in a Bog
Bookshelf Size: 743

Post by Glittery1 »

I had heard of this option but I've never been able to figure it out. I will look again.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

Is this different from audiobooks? I do use Kindle app but I'm assuming you're referring to the Kindle device that has this text to speech option. It does sound interesting.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I never used this option as I prefer reading to listening. Sounds like a great option though.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jojonierends77
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jojonierends77 »

I had heard of this option but I've never been able to figure it out. I will look again.
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I had no idea there was an option like this. I could see it being very convenient. Is it on a certain kindle or the Kindle app? I'm not sure I would use it, but maybe it would be a step before trying an audio book.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

My older kindle had that option, I kind of found the language they produced kind of irritating. The voice sounded tinny and when the device mispronounced words it drove me up a wall. If I need to listen and read I usually do audible books alone or with the immersive reading function on my kindle fire. I hope if kindle reading devices add this option back in they improve it quality as well.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I have never heard of it, but I tried audio and don't like it as well. I find myself not being able to concentrate like I could with a regular book.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”