Kindle gave up the ghost -- which one to buy new?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Kindle gave up the ghost -- which one to buy new?

Post by moderntimes »

My old standard Kindle died a gracious death, right in the middle of a book. I can't get it to reboot or charge or connect to my WiFi and so I'm gonna buy a new Kindle.

Should I choose the standard version or the Paperwhite version? As I understand it, the Paperwhite has its own internal lighting but otherwise works like the standard one.

Lemme also describe my needs: I do not need a color reader, because 100% of my Kindle use is reading books, period, no surfing or email or other things. I also don't need a large screen -- the standard Kindle screen was fine for me.

ALL I want to do is to read books!

Thanks in advance.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have kindle touch and I am very satisfied with it. If you need the light, you should buy the Paperwhite version. Otherwise, I would recommend the standard kindle touch. I don't need the light and am happy with it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

So sorry to hear this--I have an older Kindle as well as the newer Kindle Fire I got as a gift. I really love these machines! Was yours one of the older ones that needed an update last month? I struggled with that--I find it a little annoying when the directions don't work exactly as they're written--but I got through it and have the old one as a back-up. I like the Kindle Fire a lot, but it does have the ability to do a lot of things I won't be doing. Reading is my mission! ;-)
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Sorry to hear about your kindle. Paperwhite is nice.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Well, the ol' Kindle was faithful, got me thru several hospital stays and such. Since ALL I want is to read book, it seems the Paperwhite will be a good buy for me.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I'm sorry to hear that :( I have the Paperwhite and have been very satisfied with it. I also just use it for reading. My favorite part is the touchscreen, and even though I don't use the light very often, it's nice to have when I do. If you do get one, hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Frankly, I'm not too keen on touchscreens because they soon get smudgy. But hey.
gali

Post by gali »

moderntimes wrote:Frankly, I'm not too keen on touchscreens because they soon get smudgy. But hey.
I bought a Kindle Screen Protector and it keeps it clean.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

But the screen protector outer surface will then get smudgy from its being touched, eh? Which is why I don't care for touchscreens.

Besides, if I'm reading a book's page, why do I want to touch the text display? All I want to do is just read. I can click the little side scroll button just fine.
bookiekoala
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bookiekoala »

I have the Kindle Paperwhite and I absolutely love it!I was always against Kindles as I love real books however this one has swayed me! If you need it for hospital stays, this one is perfect! My mum uses it when she has to stay in hospital which is fairly often and she finds it so useful, especially when the ward is dark. The inbuilt lighting is perfect for this!
gali

Post by gali »

moderntimes wrote:But the screen protector outer surface will then get smudgy from its being touched, eh? Which is why I don't care for touchscreens.

Besides, if I'm reading a book's page, why do I want to touch the text display? All I want to do is just read. I can click the little side scroll button just fine.
My screen protector is relatively clean. I clean it with an eye glass cloth. You have a point though.
A retired Admin/Mod

moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

I'm thinking the Paperwhite. I'll soon be doing some hospital stuff myself, and having a new Kindle would be great. When I'm in the hospital I like to keep the room lights on low. Waking up in a totally dark and unfamiliar room is disconcerting.
gali

Post by gali »

moderntimes wrote:I'm thinking the Paperwhite. I'll soon be doing some hospital stuff myself, and having a new Kindle would be great. When I'm in the hospital I like to keep the room lights on low. Waking up in a totally dark and unfamiliar room is disconcerting.
In that case, the Paperwhite will be perfect for you. Also its resolution is better. Be well!
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:
moderntimes wrote:I'm thinking the Paperwhite. I'll soon be doing some hospital stuff myself, and having a new Kindle would be great. When I'm in the hospital I like to keep the room lights on low. Waking up in a totally dark and unfamiliar room is disconcerting.
In that case, the Paperwhite will be perfect for you. Also its resolution is better. Be well!
Agreed! I also think the Paperwhite will be perfect! Good luck at the hospital. Hope everything turns out well!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Things turning out well isn't an option these days, unfortunately. I am just trying to stem the tide. So occasional trips to the ER are on the menu these day. Thankfully the stays aren't long and my mental acuity is unimpaired. Above the neck, I'm fine.

I've got a "going to the ER" kit bag all packed. It's got copies of my meds and other records, contact phones, pair of old gym shorts, socks, box of kleenex, a trusty old paperback book which is chosen at a whim -- right now it's "Shroedinger's Kittens" (book on quantum physics), my cellphone & Kindle charger, and of course the Kindle itself. Which currently is not working. But otherwise I'm good to go.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”