Cannot give up print

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
HJ Hopkins
Currently Reading: The Meditation Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Cannot give up print

Post by HJ Hopkins »

I am probably the last librarian in the world who still sees value in keeping print materials in my collection development plan. There have been a couple of studies (which I'll cite in a reply to this - eventually) that demonstrate that college students tend to print off the online material they receive for lesson plans and readings. Maybe it is my age, but I cannot read long journal articles on a computer - and I prefer physical books for anything with particularly involved subject matter. Am I alone in this? (oh - here is a good example that was printed in the Washington Post (I'm too new to post a link) "Why digital natives prefer reading in print. Yes, you read that right." 2/22/2015.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

As a college student who has killed half a tree over 4 years (yes, our school keeps track of how much we print out, and gives us statistics to discourage printing too much!) I can totally attest to needing print materials in front of me. I don't understand how my peers can bring a textbook to class on their ipad, and it horrifies me that some schools have even done away with textbooks and have moved entirely to ebooks.

Personally, when I sit down to do my homework, I don't want to be tethered to my laptop.
ronrogers
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ronrogers »

I can totally attest to needing print materials in front of me. I don't understand how my peers can bring a textbook to class on their ipad, and it horrifies me that some schools have even done away with textbooks and have moved entirely to ebooks.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Why did you copy part of my post?...
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I also find that I need to read print versions of academic material, such as textbooks and peer reviewed articles. For some reason, I cannot stay focused on the digital versions. But with a good novel, it's a different story :roll:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
JanDem21
Currently Reading: Slow Burn Torrent #5
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jandem21.html

Post by JanDem21 »

I like psychical books because I like having something I can hold in my hand.
BookHipster
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 761">Grave Mercy</a>
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhipster.html

Post by BookHipster »

I am torn both ways. I'm also a college student appalled by how much is wasted on printed things and see how having digital things is so much easier, especially when you need to search something and don't remember what page it was on. However I love the feel of books and hate reading books on a tablet in the sunlight. That being said I hate reading actual books in the dark, even with one of those book lights (you constantly have to move it and it becomes a hassle). While it is incredibly convenient to carry hundreds of books on a tablet, there's nothing like having your own library of printed books. The problem with making everything printed digital and never printing again is that if there was a problem with technology all that would be lost. This happened on my computer, where it decided one day to not turn on and I lost many of my stories I had written. So like I said before, I'm torn as I see the pros and cons of both.
LovelyMonroe
Currently Reading: Pines (Wayward Pines Triology, Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by LovelyMonroe »

I read on my kindle, ipad, and print books. I love having a printed book in my hands as I read. I must admit it's convenient also to whip out my cell phone, or iPad and read on my Kindle app. I have so many printed books I have had to buy new bookshelves. Whether I'm reading a printed book in my hand, or reading on my Kindle app I'm just glad to be doing what I enjoy....reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
Rekeshaw

Post by Rekeshaw »

I do like have physical notes and books in front of me. I find I think better through actually writing something out vs typing on the computer. If you're talking about college textbooks, I have a confession: I didn't even open them unless there were homework problems in them I had to do. I would look up examples for math and physics, but that was pretty much it. Most the time I just went off the teacher's powerpoint slides. If you're talking about reading for pleasure, I'm half and half. I like the feel of the book in my hand, but the convenience of the e-reader is night if I'm stuck on the job somewhere and can't bring a book with me.
angelsfantasy26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelsfantasy26.html

Post by angelsfantasy26 »

I prefer print also. i still have a good sized library of printed books in my collection.
"Evil is a point of view. God kills, indiscriminately, and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like him as ourselves." - The Vampire Lestat
shelbyrashelle

Post by shelbyrashelle »

I usually preferr a physical copy, but I will admit that reading on a tablet comes in handy for certain situations. When I am traveling or running errands it's nice to have my tablet because I have access to so many options. A tablet is also great when I don't have, or cannot use a light to read. When I was in college I was guilty od printing off PowerPoints, lectures, and notes to study, and I actually still have most of them in binders as reference in my home office. The best part of a physical copy, in my opinion, is that it reminds me of when I was a kid and carried a book everywhere my family went.
Mad Dub
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2961">The Book Thief</a>
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mad-dub.html

Post by Mad Dub »

I tend to read more ebooks and the like on my phone and tablet, but I do prefer to read physical copies. There's something satisfying about holding a book in your hands as you read. On the other hand, physical books are not nearly as mobile as ebooks and very quickly make bags heavy.
CHRIS_H_B
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-h-b.html

Post by CHRIS_H_B »

I didn't think I'd be able to read any way but print either but buying my Mom a kindle got me hooked. I read on my iPad and iPhone more than print.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Although I prefer reading in print, I would never print out articles just for the sake of reading them. It seems like such a waste of paper. I would only print out the articles if I needed to take them with me somewhere because I wouldn't be able to access them otherwise or if I needed to highlight stuff.
teb569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teb569.html

Post by teb569 »

As a published author I prefer to hold my books in my hands. The e-reader is a new generation to me and although I can see the value and ease of e-reading I will always prefer a book I can hold in my hand, place a book mark in, and pick back up whenever I want to resume reading.

Tenaya Jacob

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”