Saving you money?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
vadbv
Currently Reading: The Passage
Bookshelf Size: 120

Re: Saving you money?

Post by vadbv »

Yes, I do save money, as the ebook version is often quite a bit cheaper than the paperback version! :)
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

AA1495 wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:Definitely saves me money. It's easier to borrow from the library via kindle than going there, so that helps. I find many free reads on Amazon. And if I am buying, the kindle version is usually cheaper.
Yeah that makes sense. Do you end up reading more as a result of the lower price though?
Yes but I want to read more!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Netgirl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netgirl.html

Post by Netgirl »

Depends on what you're using it for. I feel an e-reader is more convenient than anything else. I've heard of people using their e-reader to rent out library books and just keeping the internet off on them so they can read it for as long as they want. There's also plenty of public domain books out there you can download for free to read or listen to if you prefer audio books. I did that for a while and actually came across quite a few interesting reads during my search.

Granted, they're not for everyone, but I've always found them convenient. I have a Kindle Fire and it's good for watching YouTube videos, listening to podcasts, and reading. So it's not to bad of a price even if you do have to buy a SD card for it to expand the memory.
Vulgate
Currently Reading: Conceived Without Sin (Pierced by a Sword #2)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vulgate.html

Post by Vulgate »

You'll probably save money by not having a massive stack of books that you need to store somewhere. Bookshelfs take up space and are expensive. You can also save gas by not driving to the library and instead checking out an e-book from home.
Jade Evans
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jade Evans »

No, absolutely not. Ebooks gives you more access to books and easier ways to pay. It's not the same as driving to Barns and Nobles and buying books. Who wants to drive, or wait to read a certain book? I don't.
April B
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-april-b.html

Post by April B »

Yes....and no...depending on what I'm in the mood to read. I consistently fall into the, "Here...read the first one for free...", racket. Yes, I might read one free and then get discounts starting at $0.99 and working it's way on up the price scale but before I know it I'm paying what I consider ridiculous amounts up to $16 or $17 or more to read part 5 or 6 or 7 or whatever of a series I'm throughly addicted to! I hope that it all averages out, but I have my doubts.

I think ebooks are horrendously overpriced when it comes to the majority of popular works today. I mean I'm all for the author and publishers, etc. to earn their appropriate fees, but I don't get why ebooks aren't at least a little bit cheaper than print books in most cases. It's just a small file copied and distributed..there's no paper, binding, ink, etc. Why should that be $15.99? It seems like a bit if greed has set in because when I first started purchasing ebooks they were almost always cheaper than the print version. Nowadays, the new stuff is just as expensive in ebook form as an actual book....its ridiculous!

Of course there is the convenience factor. For instance, It's 2 am and I've just finished part 9 of a 15 part series. Just a couple of taps and I'm back with my current series without so much as the bat of an eyelash! It is at these times that they really have me from a financial standpoint. I'm usually so anxious to get on with story, if I can dig up the cash then they've got it!

So is it cheaper? Yes... and no...
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

Yes, having an e-reader saves me money. This is because I love the classics and most of the classics are free.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

Switching to mostly e-books has saved me at least 100 dollars or so. If you don't have the biggest budget for books every month, e-books are definitely a much cheaper alternative. Now, if you can get the paperback for the same price as the e-book, go for the paperback.treat yo self
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
4eyes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-4eyes.html

Post by 4eyes »

I think they do. I can have them delivered right away for free. I do not have to drive to the bookstore. Time is money to me. Plus, there are so many free books available.
Luisjane

Post by Luisjane »

I was able to get 10 eBooks "latest and known book" for only $1.99. And I think I was able to saved more $$ on it.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Yes, I think that my Kindle has saved me money, especially since I subscribed to Kindle Unlimited. I've gotten many enjoyable and free books this way.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Emmanuel Arinze
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-arinze.html

Post by Emmanuel Arinze »

I believe strongly that it saves me not only money but also time. It is cheaper and I don't have to wait for its importation where it is not readily available.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Pizzle_183 wrote:Do you feel like e-reader really save you money?
Explain your thoughts please.
Definitely they save money, especially if you are willing to buy indie instead of traditional. I have bought hundreds of discount books this way and saved a lot of money.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
michica2122

Post by michica2122 »

you can definitely save money by using ebooks... aside from great books you can read.. you cab also have it for free.. i can really save a lot of money by using ebooks..
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

In a sense I'm saving money because I only read free books or the books I get through my kindle unlimited subscription. If there's a book that I really want that I can't find anywhere, I'll go out and buy it.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”