Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Re: Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Post by njzeba »

I think they should start off with paperbacks because, screens can damage their eyes far more than paperbacks can but I guess it all depends on the child's preference.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

No matter everyone should read.
LauraBeth0625
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurabeth0625.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LauraBeth0625 »

I think it depends on the child. My daughter's school uses ipads to connect to the local library for more book choices and she loves the variety. But as a small child she loved Good Night Moon and then this cardboard book when she was a little older because it had texture to some of the pages. A little side food for thought, to the young moms and soon to be moms, her favorite book to read alone as she turned about 6, was Brown Bear. I don't recall the author but he whole school did a big "group read" on it, and I highly recommend it.
LarkSpur25
Currently Reading: Keeper of the Heart
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur25.html

Post by LarkSpur25 »

I think Kids should be reading a paperback or hardcover at least until they are in highschool. Just from my perspective but younger kids don't have the kind of respect for things that they should and I know from my experience a wrecked book is cheaper to replace than a wrecked Kindle or Nook device. Not to mention, I think being able to turn the pages and hold an actual book in their hands is a good experience for them. Gets them out of an electronic world, even if only for a little while.
melissadjupp
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissadjupp.html

Post by melissadjupp »

I prefer ebooks. Only because my son is three years old. So he has the option to have the book read to him or some books actually play out the scenes in little shows for him. He seems to like that better that regular books and me reading to him or him just looking at pictures.
amoradio5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amoradio5.html

Post by amoradio5 »

I believe that kids should read paperback. I can remember as a little girl the feel of books in my hand after a trip to the library with Mama. There is something personal about the feel of a newly printed page or thumbing an old favorite between your fingers that is simply missed when you give a kid an e-reader. Kids today are so overly stimulated by technology as it is and giving them an e-reader continues that pattern making it harder to slow their beautiful brains down. I'm not knocking e-readers at all I believe they have had a great impact on society. However, when it's time for me to tuck the little ones in bed or for them to read to me in there own angelic way I will not be doing so with a beaming mini computer between us.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

amoradio5 wrote:I believe that kids should read paperback. I can remember as a little girl the feel of books in my hand after a trip to the library with Mama. There is something personal about the feel of a newly printed page or thumbing an old favorite between your fingers that is simply missed when you give a kid an e-reader. Kids today are so overly stimulated by technology as it is and giving them an e-reader continues that pattern making it harder to slow their beautiful brains down. I'm not knocking e-readers at all I believe they have had a great impact on society. However, when it's time for me to tuck the little ones in bed or for them to read to me in there own angelic way I will not be doing so with a beaming mini computer between us.

Good one.

Vermont Reviews
FullTimeReader

Post by FullTimeReader »

My daughter is 14 so this wasn't a question we had to answer while she was young. With 4 heavy readers in the house, we have to go through our paper books every few years and donate them to our local library. I suppose another option would be to abandon the house to them since they are crowding us out the door. :) E-books are great because they don't take up space.

These are some of the problems I've run into with E-readers as my daughter has been getting older.

1) Its hard to tell if she is reading when she should be sleeping. Yeah, I know tough problem to have, right? But the truth is, this can affect how she does in school.

2) Tablets don't just have books. They have games, videos, music and social networks too. We had to configure things so that those distractions are available only with a password. Unlimited books, no problem. Unlimited Candy Crush? Not happening.

3) Battery life. You don't need to sit near an outlet or stop reading a paperback. Ever.

The e books have good things though.
1) They take up less room. No worries about space when my daughter wants to bring a small library with her on car trips. I don't have to store them when I'm done reading. I never have to debate the merits of keeping or donating.

2) Downloading samples before purchase makes exploring new areas of interest or authors more attractive.

3) You can't ruin them. No worries about pages falling out because you read your book to death. No fingerprints from that time you ate popcorn while reading. The dog can't chew it because she's got hurt feelings that you were reading instead of playing tug.

4) Instant gratification. I want to read it. I get it within a minute. No driving to use gas. No waiting for delivery. Just download it in the amount of time it takes me to make my cup of coffee.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

At that age, I think it is definitely best to stick with paperback books. It shows him that books are a concrete object. I also feel like it helps show the value and importance of books more than the eBook would. Honestly, I still prefer paperback books. I only have my Nook because the books are a little bit cheaper, and I can actually get a lot of books for free.
rcoyte

Post by rcoyte »

I'm really torn on this topic. As the publisher of a middle grades e-book, I would love more kids to read the book on a device, as it is cheaper to access than the paperback version. But as a longtime teacher of middle grades students, I know that children really do prefer to hold a book in their hands, flip the pages, and have the entire experience of this corporeal piece of literature that they can carry around, refer back to the cover, dog-ear the pages, etc.
Mrkidzeal

Post by Mrkidzeal »

Math & Puzzles are interesting activities for kidz like Number Mazes and Shapes Mazes, matching shapes, etc. So I suggest better go paperback because it help in raising creativity in Children brain.
xxAmandaRosexx
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xxamandarosexx.html

Post by xxAmandaRosexx »

I feel like allowing kids to be on electronics so much is going to make them too dependant on it later on, for one thing, but then I also can't imagine how damaging it may be for their eyes.
Aside from that, I feel like kids should be able to embrace the joy of a paperback book like we all did growing up. There was nothing better than the smell of an old book or the sound of the spine being open for the first time. You can get lost in the pages of a book, whereas an ebook is just another electronic device you use on the daily. Keep the special in books.
Lydia_Noyes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-noyes.html

Post by Lydia_Noyes »

Honestly, whatever gets them to read more is fine by me. If they read on a device that doesn't have email ad web browsing capabilities all the better
Jessafford
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessafford.html

Post by Jessafford »

Personally, I don't feel any child, especially elementary school age should be using the chrome books (what the school lends the kids) for reading. The should be reading the paperback books. After they finish a book maybe you could give them a little play time on an electronic device.
Mrc092485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrc092485.html

Post by Mrc092485 »

I feel either is fine. I allow my children to read both

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”