Why "either" "or"?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
1_2_5_am
Currently Reading: Once Upon a Time in Korea
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1-2-5-am.html

Re: Why "either" "or"?

Post by 1_2_5_am »

For some reason I used to think I had to choose, but I came to realize that I didn't.
Then again, I never thought digital books would even grow on me, but they did. LOL!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

1_2_5_am wrote:For some reason I used to think I had to choose, but I came to realize that I didn't.
Then again, I never thought digital books would even grow on me, but they did. LOL!
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said! I used to think that I had to choose too. It would always be paperbacks or hardcovers because who would want to read on a kindle? However, that has all changed. Now I can't see how I could manage without my kindle (traveling and just having so many books at my disposal). In other words, I love my kindle and still enjoy paperbacks and hardcovers!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I love books over reading electronically. However, when going to work and traveling it is nice to have the kindle app on my smartphone rather than packing a book with me, worrying whether I will remember to bring it back with me.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

I love kindles too, they can carry a lot of books and you can also multitask on them. I am going to but a tablet aoon
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra »

There's something soothing about curling up in bed with a hard copy and I love it. Hard copies are also a sort of status symbol - carrying them around apparently displays some level of intellectual power for some people. But I love books either way and e-books give me the ability to have an innumerable number of books without a concern for space.
Stanzz
Currently Reading: Herai
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanzz.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Stanzz »

My back certainly appreciates my switching to digital versions of all of my textbooks, but I still do like books, but that's probably for largely emotional rather than practical reasons. There's nothing wrong with being emotionally attached to physical books at all. Frankly, of all the things in the world to have a really strong, though admittedly a little impractical, emotional attachment to, books seem pretty harmless in that regard.
Plus, there is nothing more satisfying than a big find in a used book store.
Shireenkha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shireenkha »

I really don’t see why people can’t like or at least appreciate both equally. I love books I always have and I always will and I do prefer them most of the time. But to be honestly I read more because of my E-reader on my phone. It makes it possible to always have my book with me at all times and its just so much more convenient. Another big plus for me is being able to read in the dark with an illuminated screen instead of trying to read with a reading light. I don’t think I have to choose which one because I use them both for different reasons.
vixicountiss
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by vixicountiss »

I don't understand this either! I love having a book in my hands and I most certainly love seeing all my books on their shelves, but I also live in a very small housing unit so I don't exactly have the luxury of being able to fit all of my books. This is where my e-reader is soooooooooo helpful. I have about 500 books on my e-reader alone (and I don't even want to think about how I would get all those books to fit amongst what I already own). E-readers are also convenient for travel and I'm not limited to one book. Usually, I try to buy ebooks that I want when they go on sale instead of paying $10 for an electronic copy (I think this is ridiculous). If I like an ebook enough, I'll go out of my way to buy the physical version. I think there are plus sides to both so why not have both?
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

I'm trying to not have so much physical stuff lying around my house. I'm very prone to clutter and books can easily turn into that if they're just sitting there unused. I like physical books, if just because I like to see my progress by how thick the "read" part becomes, but I'm also just trying to declutter. When I buy books, I tend to buy electronic, and if I really want a physical copy I can go to the library and get it there.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I love everything about my Kindle and the books I get to read on it. However, I go absolutely boink crazy when I enter a bookshop. It never gets old.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

I use both. I like my Kindle, but I find it's easier to read on the iPad. I'm not a book collector, so I don't need the physical copies, but I still go to the library and check out "real" books.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

I really like both e-readers and physical books. Physical copies are definitely better for graphic material or poetry that requires a certain format. For example, Rupi Kaur's poetry is graphically formatted with illustrations, so I think it is definitely better in physical form. For novels and textbooks, however, I don't mind an e-reader. In fact, e-readers allow you to take multiple books with you and support authors without killing so many trees! It's a terrible feeling when you finish a book on-the-go or on a trip and you don't have another book to read.
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Alison Alissa »

I love the amazon kindle.A kindle is better having gotten a chance to use it.For example the ability to highlight,moving around with more one book feels good.I also tried the nook kindle and fell in love with the set up.Paper books are okay but very tiresome.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Agree!! It's definitely both!! My Nook comes in handy when there's a book I can't find in local bookstores. It definitely has increased my reading time. I'll always prefer a physical book, but my Nook is a lifesaver!
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

I have these apps in my phone but i have not used them yet, i am kind of likes the hard copy one but, since i am joining this group online..i will start to use them somehow

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”