E-readers: How much are books?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
millerkatie12
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millerkatie12.html

E-readers: How much are books?

Post by millerkatie12 »

Hey guys I am currently looking for an e-reader to purchase.
Which is the best e-reader in your opinion?
And how much are books once you buy your e-reader?

I have been going to the library for many years now, so I have never had to pay for any of the books I read.
Let me know!
Thanks =)
jjacobsen

Post by jjacobsen »

I use a tablet with the Kindle app. I rarely pay for books, but they can range from free to about the same as you would pay in a book store. It just depends if you are looking for specific books or are willing to try new things. You may also be able to use your library's website to borrow ebooks.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Kindle is the best in my view. Ebooks can range from free to $10 and up, depending on the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bthomas47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bthomas47.html

Post by bthomas47 »

I use a kindle and I love it. Books can range from free to almost the price of an actual book if it's brand new and popular. Kindle is always running different deals though. They have a 99cent section and an under $2.99 section that are helpful. There's also third party sellers such as bookbub where they discount certain books each week. Amazon also has a monthly membership where you can "rent" books as you please. There's many options out there.
MilliePh
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millieph.html

Post by MilliePh »

it all depends on the book & how new it is; unlike paperbacks where they stay the same price from printing! I love having my kindle because doing an English Literature degree it means that I can buy a lot of my needed coursebooks for cheap or even free - 9 / 10 classics are for free on the Kindle or 0.01p! it also means that I'm not lugging around tons of books! But I do find that even with popular newly published books there is always at least £1 or 2 off of the paperback price!!
RavelleWriter
Currently Reading: Fated for Sanchez
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by RavelleWriter »

I have a kindle for my desktop. eBooks I think mostly are in the $1.00 to $3.00 range as so many new authors are trying to get established and so don't charge that much. There are always free ebooks available too though the selection starts to vary. I prefer ebooks now as I don't have to cart a hefty pile of physical books around though I miss the paper:)
jdy
Currently Reading: We Make God Cry
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdy.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by jdy »

I have a kindle,one of the older ones,and I use the app on my iPad. I have about 400 books on those. I like the iPad because I don't have to turn a lamp on to read.

-- 23 Mar 2016, 13:51 --

The books can be free. Most are reasonable $3-15 although if it is a relatively new book the price could go up.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I agree with the others, if you can be patient with those new releases they come down in price after awhile.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
KimHG
Currently Reading: Confessions of a Little Black Gown
Bookshelf Size: 707
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimhg.html

Post by KimHG »

Recently, I got the Kindle app, just to try it and see how it went. Now, I'm in love with it. I downloaded it in every single device I could. And although I prefer printed books, it's easier to travel around with my smartphone and have every book available in just a touch.
Arnts1ta
Currently Reading:

Post by Arnts1ta »

I have an original Nook and love that every Friday Barnes & Noble has a free book for Nook users to download, it's usually a high quality e-book, but it might not be a genre everyone likes. I usually download it anyways and give it a read, you never know what you'll discover!
Freida Livery
Bookshelf Size: 2897
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Freida Livery »

You don't have to buy books to read on your electronic device. My library uses an app called Overdrive. I can download books and read on my Kindle for free.

That being said I can purchase books from Amazon. The most I paid for a new ebook was $20. Not my usual price point, but I really wanted to read this particular book. Books from major publishing houses have gone up considerably since the Kindle first came on the market. New books from top tier authors are selling from around $12.00 to $15.00 from what I've been seeing.
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."
— Lemony Snicket
Karen122
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen122.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Karen122 »

I started out with a Nook about 4 years ago and I decided I loved eBooks. I've since moved away from that and tend to read on my iPhone 6 more often. I only use my Nook for outside reading in the sun because the screens easier to see. I use the iBooks app and the Kindle app. I love them both, they are very similar and user friendly and this way I always have my book with since I always have my phone on me.
As far as prices, I usually search for free books and if they belong to a series and I like it, those usually run me anywhere from $3-$5 a book. If they are a best seller or a popular author, they tend to run more. Occasionally I'll find a recommendation for some that are only .99 or $1.99. If you have a smart phone, I suggest your download the Kindle app (i believe its free) and explore first and make sure its something that you like. Or, if you have an iPhone, it automatically comes with iBooks so you could check that out too.
Pretzelsing
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsing.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Pretzelsing »

I personally think that the Kindle paperwhite is the best ebook out there because it doesn't require wifi, and removes any distractions of browsing the internet or whatever. It's quite helpful when you really just want to zone in on the book and concentrate everything into the book.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I personally find it easier to just use my phone and download the kindle app considering almost everyone already has a phone. Plus it's much smaller and easier to carry around and you'll most likely always have it with you anyways.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
Jade_Butterfly
Currently Reading: All She Wrote
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jade_Butterfly »

I've been using a Sony Pocket Reader for years and love it. It isn't heavy to hold and I can put most books on it. It also has a huge battery life and I can easily store about 50 books and have it run quickly. The one drawback is that it doesn't work with Amazon because you can only upload pdf and epub books to it. I just buy from alternate sources and use my table if I want to buy from Amazon.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”