Listening to Audio books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
jwebser12
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwebser12.html

Re: Listening to Audio books

Post by jwebser12 »

It's not near the same as holding the book and having your own "interpretation" as you read, but I have enjoyed an audio book now and then. I especially like them on long drives to pass the time.
LOutlaw
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by LOutlaw »

I love audio books and listen to them almost every day. I started using Audible a few years ago and really enjoy hearing a good narrator read the book to me. With audio books I don't need hands or eyes. I can clean house or close my eyes and imagine the story. It works when I am lying down to sleep at night or running around after my kids. They are also great for road trips. I still pick up a book to read and I still use my Nook. I just like to have options. Right now, I am listening to one book and reading another on my Nook. It just depends what I am in the mood for.
JanDem21
Currently Reading: Slow Burn Torrent #5
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jandem21.html

Post by JanDem21 »

I think autobooks are convenient but I like creating the characters voices on my own.
Robin_Reads
Currently Reading: Gone With the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Robin_Reads »

I love this option. I wish there were more available at a reasonable cost! I listened to A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson this way and laughed my butt off. It was a great experience. Btw, I loved its movie.
Alylynn317
Currently Reading: Every Last Word
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alylynn317.html

Post by Alylynn317 »

I LOVE Audio books! I actually forget that those are considered books, because I listen to them so often! I travel about a half hour to and from work each day so it gives me plenty of time to listen, plus I like to listen while I go for a jog as well (I am not a huge music person, so I much prefer books). I honestly could not count how many I have listened to over the last couple years. Honestly though, if I didn't travel far or run, I probably would not listen to them as much because I wouldn't just be able to sit down at my house and listen, I have to be doing something simultaneously but to where I could pay attention to what is going on in the book. So I would say it depends on what you would prefer and the time you have. I would never replace books with audio books but they are very convenient for the times you want to listen to a story, but can't very much read at that time.

I prefer fiction books when doing audiobooks, it is easier to get off tract and start day dreaming so it is important to listen to something you will enjoy. I usually get my books from Audible. You have to pay, but they let you return books for credits if you did not like them, which is pretty convenient.
Ubissen
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubissen.html
Reading Device: B00OD01MO6

Post by Ubissen »

I love listening to audio books, especially when they are preformened right. I have listened to some with severel different actors and it was like listening to a play. I often listen while I drive, or play a game, but also when I am too tired to read but not tired enough to sleep. There s something soothing listening to someone read a book to you. It does depend on the genre though. I think that audio are best for slow reads. You know the ones you want to take your time with to get all the details. I read very fast, so sometimes audio is a good tool for me to slow down and get more details from what I read.
angelsfantasy26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelsfantasy26.html

Post by angelsfantasy26 »

I personally can't do audio books. I am the type of person who likes to read a book and watch TV at the same time. If I listening to the audio book I can't do anything else.
"Evil is a point of view. God kills, indiscriminately, and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like him as ourselves." - The Vampire Lestat
susieloveschemistry
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susieloveschemistry.html

Post by susieloveschemistry »

Ubissen wrote:I love listening to audio books, especially when they are preformened right. I have listened to some with severel different actors and it was like listening to a play. I often listen while I drive, or play a game, but also when I am too tired to read but not tired enough to sleep. There s something soothing listening to someone read a book to you. It does depend on the genre though. I think that audio are best for slow reads. You know the ones you want to take your time with to get all the details. I read very fast, so sometimes audio is a good tool for me to slow down and get more details from what I read.
Do you have any suggestions for particularly good audio books? I've struggled in the past to keep focus with them but maybe I just haven't found a good fit yet. I'd like to get into them since I will be driving quite a bit in the near future.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

The dramatized version of Pilgrim's Progess is a great one for drivetime!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I listened to an audiobook for a book that I really wanted to read one time, because the hardcopy of the book wasn't available yet and it was not yet on Kindle. However the audiobook was out, and I was so curious to know the story, that I decided it was worth it to listen to the audiobook. After listening to it, however, I realized I was not much of a fan. I actually really did enjoy the book and bought the physical copy and re-read it because the story was good, but listening to it I feel like I missed a lot of things. I would have to rewind to certain parts and it was hard for me to tell when dialogue was happening or if a character was thinking something. I personally prefer to read than listen.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
ipuerta
Currently Reading: Feversong
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipuerta.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by ipuerta »

Hello!

Well.. if there is truth in that it´s nothing like reading yourself, I admit that it´s a great way to enjoy a book in a moment when you can´t read like driving or cleaning your home, doing the dishes, collecting laundry, etc... It´s like listening to music, but with stories instead of songs. Those that were recorded with human voices are more pleasant but if you don´t mind, there are apps with text to speech (tts) features that would "read" a specific text.

Hope this helps!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
RuthAnn0211
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthann0211.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by RuthAnn0211 »

I like reading it myself as opposed to having someone else read it for me. However, I have two small children, so it does help to listen to the audio while doing things around the house. It makes me feel like I am still able to get things done, while still being able to read my favorite books.
Pip Cowan
Currently Reading: The Vanishing Chemist
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pip-cowan.html

Post by Pip Cowan »

I love audio books but a good narrator can make or break a book. I enjoy audio books while I am doing house chores and with audible you can switch between the two which is pretty fantastic. I would suggest listening to the audio samples first to make sure you find the narrators voice and tone agreeable.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I tried out some audiobooks recently with a free trial to Audible. I downloaded two of the Black Dagger Brotherhood books that I couldn't find in the library or at the local stores. I had never tried the audiobook format before so I thought I would give it a shot. It was odd listening to the narrator say phrases like mother f---er, etc. but I got a kick out of it mostly. The love scenes were interesting and I found I could listen in the car which was a plus since I could continue my story while driving. I had about 4 hours of drive time so this was a positive. I also found that I could use earbuds and listen while doing chores. I did miss the visceral act of holding a book. I missed the weight, the smell, the turning of pages. I think that audiobooks have uses as described above. The time investment is huge though. The two books required eighteen and twenty three hours of listening time, respectively. I can read much faster. I think you should give it a try and see what the experience is like for you. Overall, I got to hear the two stories that I was missing in a series for free and I enjoyed the books.
smhawkins
Currently Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smhawkins.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by smhawkins »

It all depends on what kind of learner you are. I am more visual/kinesthetic, so I much prefer reading to listening to an audio book.

However, I will say audio books are GREAT for long road trips. Especially if you're road tripping solo!
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”