Listening to Audio books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
rosec
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Listening to Audio books

Post by rosec »

I love audio books, listen to them when I'm travelling.
nyxhia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyxhia.html

Post by nyxhia »

I love reading and I feel I am losing a big part of it when I am just listening to a book. So what I do sometimes is listen and read at the same time. When I do this I use an Android app that is very helpful for managing audiobooks as well as keeping the bookmark when other players fail. It's: Smart AudioBook Player! Hope it helps =P
ChrissieLeigh
Favorite Author: Joleene Naylor
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrissieleigh.html
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 50531

Post by ChrissieLeigh »

In my opinion, it depends on the narrator. I listen to audiobooks when I drive, am cleaning, or just have a headache and can't focus my eyes enough to read. I love them but some of the voices just do not match up to the story and can kill it for you.
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

RachelErmutlu wrote:I have not listened to audiobooks because I feel it would not be the same as reading a book. I am a fast reader and I feel some people read audiobooks too slowly. It is also easier for me to pay attention when I am reading the book myself.
Totes agree. But audiobooks don't have to take over the same function as a regular book.

At any given moment, I am reading three different books.

One audiobook for when I am cleaning, walking to work, grocery shopping, giving people the indication that I don't want to talk to them by pointing at my ear phones.

One electronic book for when I am standing in line (which, as it turns out, is an unfortunately significant part of my life), or waiting for my wife to try on clothes while shopping, or anything like this. It is always on my phone, because I have it on me anyway and it takes zero effort.

One paper book. These are reserved for nice days at the park or beach, rainy days on the couch, or any other time I have time to kill and a comfy seat to sit on.

None of these impair the amount of reading I do in any other format. I don't read less paper books because I read more electronic ones. All it means, for me, is that I have the ability to read three books in the time it used to take me to read one.

Going back to the original quote at the top of my super duper interesting opinion, Audible has a feature where you can speed up the reading. I absolutely have to use this every time. For some reason, I decided to recently listen to a Jack Reacher book, The Killing Fields, and I am listening to it at 200% original speed. Also, I don't really like it. That last bit has nothing to do with anything, I just wanted to say it. :)
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I liked it at first, but it's not the same as reading a book.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
mao

Post by mao »

If they are as good as how the Japanese drama cds are, it would be great. Drama cds are like movies in your ears instead of audiobooks more on narrating.
AndeaJ
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by AndeaJ »

I love listening to books on Audible. I used to think that listening to the book was "cheating". However, since I have such a long commute, audio books save my sanity. I think that this form of reading is awesome and helps me to get through more books at a faster pace.
EdenLove
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edenlove.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by EdenLove »

i'd tried the audiobook thing but did not like it. I think it was the reader was not consistent with the voices for the characters and the accent they used through the whole reading.
Naqvee
Reading Device: B00PLE2ROM

Post by Naqvee »

khalid Hosseini's Kite Runner is the best book read by him..extra ordinary feeling
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

I like listening to audiobooks. They're especially good when I'm on the go or need to multitask. That said, nothing can replace a good paper book. They are certainly very different. I have found it especially fun to listen to audiobooks read by the authors themselves!
GoemLor

Post by GoemLor »

To me, listening to audio books obviously isn't exactly the same as reading a real book.
BUT I do love listening to them in certain circumstances! For example, if I'm busy doing other things (household chores, walking to shops, etc) during which I would not be able to read a book, it's amazing to still keep your mind busy listening to a book!
Things that normally feel like a waste of time, feel useful!
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I find that the reader really makes a difference in my experience of an audiobook. If the reader gets into the story and uses proper inflection, it really brings out the characters and allows me to get lost in the story. However when the reader is too monotonous, or has too thick of an accent making it difficult to understand the story, it takes away from the experience.
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

Audio books are good when you're on your feet a lot and don't have time to sit down and read a book. However, if you're always busy, then you can't focus on the book. A good example as to when I listen to audio books is when I'm driving to New Jersey or such places that take a lot of time. However, I love sitting down and reading my own book. I seem to comprehend it better and I can always reread if I don't get what the author is implying and such.
"Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."
- John Green, Looking for Alaska
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Christine_B »

I like to listen to audiobooks of books I've already read but it really depends on the narrator I don't listen to a lot of them because the narrator is horrible. Really happy audible has the sample button so you can hear what the narrator sounds like before you buy the book.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
MelissaMoore
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissamoore.html

Post by MelissaMoore »

I have mixed emotions on audio books. In certain times when i am on long runs or outside in the sun i love them. When i have narrators that are boring it can really ruin a good audio book. For the most part if I can not actually read which i would rather do the audio books are a great way to pass time in the car. My children use them with a book in order to really know their school reading,

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”