IPad vrs E-reader

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

IPad vrs E-reader

Post by DennisK »

I have a question to those who use an IPad instead of an E-reader. How do you load a book into it, and while reading your book, if you come across a word that you want to look up, can you save your place in the book while you look the word up? :eusa-think:
Ryn
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryn.html

Post by Ryn »

The way you load books onto your iPad is somewhat dependent on what you're preferred app is for reading books. But the easiest way is if you use iBooks.

I use a Mac - so I can't speak for if it is the same process using a Windows computer, but to use iBooks to put a book on you iPad, all you have to do is open and save the book file in the iBooks program on your computer - and then it will automatically sync to your iPad when you sync your device.

You can also download attachments from your email on your iPad - and open them in your chosen app.

In regards to your question about looking up a word - again, it might vary differently between different apps, but usually, you just have to press and hold on the word that you want to look up, and it will pop up a small menu - speak, copy, define and search - and if you choose define, it will pop up a small dictionary window next to your word for you to view the definition - then you just tap back on the book page and the definition goes away.

Hope this helps!
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Thanks for the response, Ryn. Yesterday, I went ahead and bought a mini IPAD, and I spent today, exploring it. I checked the book prices on Ibook, and they seem to be the same as Amazon. I added an app called Kindle, and I can now load Amazon's books into the IPAD. After downloading a dictionary for it, I can highlight any word in question, look up the definition, access Wikipedia, add the word to a notepad, and I believe it will even sound out the word - all without loosing my place in the book. I am very happy with it. I already have this November's historical novel loaded in my old Nook; so I'm stuck with that for now, but all other books will be loaded in my IPAD.

-- 26 Oct 2015, 12:30 --

I do have one problem with this Ipad, and that is it uses up my bandwidth way too fast. I downloaded a user's manual, and I'm hoping I will find a way to control its communication with the outside world.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”