Acessibility for disability

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
bluefrog
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluefrog.html

Acessibility for disability

Post by bluefrog »

hi,
can the group please advise me about which formats for views will work with a screenreader thanks. I am physically disabled as well as dyslexic.
Threadend
Favorite Author: Sylvia Plath
Currently Reading: Hawkeye, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-threadend.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 7000

Post by Threadend »

Hi! I am disabled as well. What do you mean by formats exactly? Color overlays, special fonts (made for dyslexia)? Or do you mean forms of the download?
CamiloMVillanuevaJr

Post by CamiloMVillanuevaJr »

Books become more valuable nowadays with the number of readers that have full access to these titles.

Unlike in olden times when knowledge are the scribes and the the learned's esoteric sacred secrets.

It is almost a miracle to have books in formats other than the printed, published, bound page -- books that read themselves to prereaders and the visually and attention challenged; books that flip themselves from page to page in high contrast largely visual massive text narratives for those who are physically and visually limited; and, books that are no longer seen or even held being nothing more than multiformat electronic data bits in gadgetsphere.

But how about those who do not have access to high-technology and First World help?

Culture is there always -- and a Nation's oral and performed lore, traditions, and literature remain living -- as long as practiced -- nontangible heritage so big and vast and timeless no physical book could contain its breadth and reach for race, creed, or language.
bluefrog
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluefrog.html

Post by bluefrog »

I meant download types which ones work best for use with text-to speech
Sparrow
Favorite Book: The Gulag Archipelago
Currently Reading: Médicis Daughter:
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparrow.html

Post by Sparrow »

I don't know if you're still looking, but OpenLibrary.org has a whole mess of daisy ebooks, which are formatted for vision impaired. You have to create an account there, but it takes about five minutes. Not sure about Daisy, but regular ebooks available for reading can be checked out for a certain period just like Overdrive; I believe there's a max of five out at a time (but you can return them early, at least with ADE). I've never used the Daisy formats, but you're probably familiar with them, and the kind of program they need. Mostly older books, but a very decent selection, and I've noticed they have a lot of scanned in books that have never been released as ebooks, so that's always a plus. Hope that helps.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”