Undercover Bride by Margaret Brownley

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Undercover Bride by Margaret Brownley

Post by Birdlady1950 »

This is the 2nd book in a series and occurs after the Civil War. Can be read as a stand-alone.
Maggie Thomas is a Pinkerton Detective Agent under orders to either prove or disprove Garrett Thomas, father to Elise and Toby, is the Whistle Stop Bandit; while appearing as a delicate, charming, unassuming, ladylike mail-order bride Garrett ordered. This is a little hard to accomplish for out spoken, opinionated, independent Maggie. Humor ensues, as Maggie chases a thief at the depot, Garrett wonders what he has gotten into, and his hypochondriac Aunt Hetty meets them at the ranch with the Reverend ready for the ceremony. Garrett and Maggie definitely nix that idea. Aunt Hetty railroads them into a June wedding date. All the above happens just in the first 3 chapters.
The author has a great sense of humor. I laughed and laughed at Toby’s antics in church and the near riot it caused. The Lord truly works in mysterious ways.
As Maggie and Garrett bond, she is conflicted, on one hand she is a Pinkerton agent, sent to trap Garrett, on the other she is coming to love Garret, and doubts his involvement. I could feel the tension of falling in love and investigating Garrett. Maggie has a deep faith in God and prayer. Garrett has lost his faith after release from Andersonville Prison at the end of the Civil war.
The story plot and pace was very good, I could not wait to see what would happen next. Just when I thought I knew who was guilty, alas it was not.
As this book has Christian values I would classify it has a Christian western romance, but not preachy nor does the author sermonize. Mystery, romance, humor and Christian values. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes a clean western romance.
I received this book from Net Galley/Barbour Publishing in return for my honest opinion.
bonnie75
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie75.html

Post by bonnie75 »

This actually sounds very interesting. Not usually my style, but I may read it.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”