Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
aaa1234
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa1234.html

Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Post by aaa1234 »

I have heard on the news that ebook reader damage your eyes. What is your opinion on the matter?
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Post by Katherine E Wall »

While I don't have an opinion on this, I do know that since I lost substantial vision in my left eye, I find it easier to read online and with an e-reader than I do reading text from a physical book. Although, that does not stop me from reading in any and all mediums.

By the way, my vision issue is not related to using an e-reader. :D
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Even if that were true, I imagine it could only be true of backlit ereaders which are basically tablets. Backlit ereaders are basically the same thing as smartphones, at least on your eyes.

Regular e-ink ereaders are very easy on the eyes. They look just like paper. They are not backlit, so it's not like staring into a TV screen as it is with smartphones, computers and actual TVs. I have to believe that using an e-ink ereader is better for the eyes than using a classic book made of paper. On the ereader, you can adjust the font-size and spacing to make it easier to read, and the lettering/paper doesn't get faded, smudged and bent.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:Even if that were true, I imagine it could only be true of backlit ereaders which are basically tablets. Backlit ereaders are basically the same thing as smartphones, at least on your eyes.

Regular e-ink ereaders are very easy on the eyes. They look just like paper. They are not backlit, so it's not like staring into a TV screen as it is with smartphones, computers and actual TVs. I have to believe that using an e-ink ereader is better for the eyes than using a classic book made of paper. On the ereader, you can adjust the font-size and spacing to make it easier to read, and the lettering/paper doesn't get faded, smudged and bent.
I agree. I have a kindle and I find it very easy on the eyes. I adjusted the font-size on it, so it is much easier to read than certain paper books.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
patrickt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by patrickt »

"I heard it on the news..." might be a terrifying thought. It reminds me of when my 13-year old daughter told me that extraterrestrials had come to earth, had sex with humans, and produced hybrid offspring. She knew it was true because the read it in the paper. "What paper?" "The one Mom buys at the grocery store."
Kdorsla1

Post by Kdorsla1 »

There have been studies that show regular reading can be damaging. That is why they recommend taking breaks to focus your eyes on something else. I personally used to strain my eyes to read in bad lighting. With that being said, I would imagine the adjustable lighting as well as font would be helpful instead of harmful.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I experienced vision loss twice due to monitors that were brightly lit or lowered into a table. (The former was my new computer at home, the latter an employment issue.) So I keep my computer monitor's brightness and contrast all the way down now and have no problem. My eyes have always been light-sensitive, though. I'd probably be fine with an ereader, only I prefer books, so I'm not sure. (Also, you couldn't pay me enough to go to work for a company that doesn't value employee wellbeing. Not happenin' again.)
patrickt wrote:"I heard it on the news..." might be a terrifying thought. It reminds me of when my 13-year old daughter told me that extraterrestrials had come to earth, had sex with humans, and produced hybrid offspring. She knew it was true because the read it in the paper. "What paper?" "The one Mom buys at the grocery store."
HA HA HA. That's funny. I hope your daughter isn't scarred (or scared?) for life! Made me think of that real-life movie, Fire in the Sky. Freaky stuff.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I'd be interesting in seeing if there were any studies on this before believing it.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
braydencrown

Post by braydencrown »

it's depend on the screen resolutions.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

My mother always said I was going to ruin my eyes reading in the dark and she would turn on the light.

Fast forward a few years, turns out I can barely see out of one eye and have always compensated with the other.

So the joke is on her but now I use reading glasses and I love being able to make the font bigger on my kindle so I don't need them.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
ehsanch
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ehsanch.html

Post by ehsanch »

I think reading in the dark can definitely damage your eyes
petermark

Post by petermark »

yes ebook readers must damage your eyes when you lay down and reading regularly.
Cyfir
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyfir.html
Latest Review: "The Seventh Cup" by Nitesh Kumar Jain

Post by Cyfir »

Well, e-readers are substantially better than computers, but the best way to read is with an old fashioned book.
Latest Review: "The Seventh Cup" by Nitesh Kumar Jain
aliba12

Post by aliba12 »

I heard something before, and i think if you have good resolutions it could not be as bad as a computer!
Miss_A

Post by Miss_A »

Probably. I usually adjust the brightness and make sure it's not too bright.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”