Do You Prefer Hard/softcover or Tablets?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
AWaugh0531
Currently Reading: 11.22.63
Bookshelf Size: 93

Re: Do You Prefer Hard/softcover or Tablets?

Post by AWaugh0531 »

I love the feel and (strangely) smell of a paperback or hardcover book. An E-reader is great for carrying around multiple books without breaking your back, though. There are pro's and con's to both!
Valerie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Valerie »

The ends justify the means. But for me, I prefer paper.
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

To be honest, I don't mind reading from either of the two. The good thing about books, as you said, is that they help me feel sleepy if I read before going to bed. But the positive thing about tablets is the wide range of books available (mostly for free, if you get PDFs). You can also turn the night light on, which turns the background to black and the font to white, so that the light isn't too glaring at night. Also, you don't need lamps due to the backlight feature, as @faye1442 said.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
Nerdy_Librarian[88]
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdy-librarian-88.html

Post by Nerdy_Librarian[88] »

I prefer hard/softcover books all the way. There is nothing compared to being able to actually hold the book in your hand. For me it is the feel of it in my hands and the smell of the pages. You don't get that with an e-reader. Sure it can be more convenient, but I would prefer to be holding a book in my hand, be able to place my book on my shelf and run my fingers over the spines of all my books, while I look for just the right one. I work on a computer all day, so to be able to physically hold something and smell the scents of where it has been is what I prefer.
Cmmay85
Currently Reading: The Fate of Ten (The Lorien Legacies #6)
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Cmmay85 »

I love books, the way they feel, smell, sound, all of it. But I also love the instant gratification of using overdrive on my iPad. I still prefer the real deal to the iPad though.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I was a paperback person, I loved how they felt, smelled, and how easily they fit into my bags. I got in the kindle game early, the second device. Still I would buy books for it occasionally, but did most of my reading by paperback. I kept upgrading the devices as they made them better, constantly picking up books for it. By the time the paperwhite came out, I think kindle came into its own. I can read this device without a cumbersome booklight, I can adjust the font so I don't need my glasses to read it. I even found a cover that makes it feel like leather bound paperback, or in other words the best of both worlds. I am addicted to carrying a mini library now.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
May_Mag
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-may-mag.html

Post by May_Mag »

It's hard to pick a favourable one , since I read paperbacks-hardcovers and On Tablets. Right now I am using the IBook to read a book while reading a softcover and at the same time I made an order for some new paperbacks and a hardback.
I usually prefer Tablets for their easy night can read thing, but I always miss the smell and touch of a real book so I am not really that picky!
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

My preference is for the larger sized paperbacks, slightly smaller than a hardback, larger than the mass market paperback. Not really sure why, but all things being equal those are my favorites.

I've only been using a tablet for a short time so not really used to it. I could see a day in the future where it might become my favorite - the immediate delivery (I tend to get very impatient when waiting on my books to arrive) and cheaper cost of titles is my favorite thing about the tablet .
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
kevin125

Post by kevin125 »

hardcovers definitely :)
karen_t
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen-t.html

Post by karen_t »

I personally prefer hardcover books. I enjoy the smell of old books and the nostalgia they bring. While I don't mind the softcover books either, I really don't see the appeal to using a tablet or e-reader.
sablefalls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sablefalls.html

Post by sablefalls »

I love physically holding a book in my hands. You can't just pick up a tablet and flip through it on a whim like you can a book.
RaavaSpirit

Post by RaavaSpirit »

Hardcover or paperback is definitely my preference in reading utensil.
Grace_Alexander
Currently Reading: the big truck that went by
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Grace_Alexander »

I prefer tablets these days because I can make the font larger and not all books are available in large print. Also because I travel a lot I can take a whole library with me on one tablet which is important for me since I am doing a PhD and need to carry a lot of books with me for reference etc. Also I can highlight things and make notes in the margin without ruining the book if it is on a tablet.
HusseinE123

Post by HusseinE123 »

Softcover and hardcover books ftw
mdfisher22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdfisher22.html

Post by mdfisher22 »

I am more inclined to read hard/softcover books because I am old school and I love the smell of a paper book. I have read on my I pad and my a kindle, but the feeling is not the same as with a paper book.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”