Do You Prefer Hard/softcover or Tablets?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
knighthkm
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Also too many
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knighthkm.html
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce

Do You Prefer Hard/softcover or Tablets?

Post by knighthkm »

I personally prefer to read a hard/softcover book. I guess the only thing I like about reading on electronics is that it doesn't make me sleepy. How do you feel about reading on a tablet or laptop?
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

I always kind of preferred softcover to hardcover, and that is just due to comfort of one hand reading for me personally. As I have gotten older I have become less and less picky. When tablets first came out I completely rejected the idea. I was worried about breaking it and losing all of my books... or dropping it in the tub,etc. Again thought as time passes I seem to have become adjusted to all formats. Sometimes I read e-books on my laptop, sometimes on my kindle, sometimes I score a nice hardback book (or I can't wait for softback to come out), but overall I think I still spend the most time with paperbacks....even if I have allowed other practices to seep into my lifestyle. haha.

I find it interesting that reading on electronics doesn't make you sleepy. I haven't noticed a difference in my experience. I can totally see it as being more visually stimulating due to the back-lighting. I guess I will experiment with it a bit now and see. haha.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I prefer softcover to hardcover because when on read on a tablet I can never find the right page and my eyes start to hurt for sitting in front of a screen for so long.Maybe I have to glasses for reading.NO!
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
Merri Patil
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merri-patil.html

Post by Merri Patil »

I prefer hardcover. I always without fail ruin the spines of soft cover books and it kind of annoys me. With hardcover, I slip off the book jacket and read away. Plus, there's something nice about how stiff weighty a good hardcover can be. I am always afraid I'm going to destroy a softcover. I can't really do tablets or electronic devices. I have in the past, but I always get a headache from staring at the bright screen for so long. Plus, I really end up missing the feel of a book in hand. But if there is no other way, I don't mind electronics just have to remember to take breaks! lol. No day long reading sessions!
tamara_mc41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-mc41.html

Post by tamara_mc41 »

paperback is my thing!
some times if the book cover looks better in hardcover ill get it. but paper back fits in my hands better
atoillion

Post by atoillion »

I think I need to learn to deal with the tablet reading. I know it will be an adjustment at first but this is the most logical solution. They are cheaper, last longer and don't kill trees for billions and billions of copies. I'll have to get over my love for the new book smell and maybe only splurge on buying my favorites in paper copies.
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

I prefer a dedicated ereader. I have a Kindle. I can, in an emergency, read whatever book I'm currently reading on my cell phone and do occasionally.

I live in Mexico and read in English so the availability of paper books is limited but the last time I picked up a paperback my first thought was I needed to enlarge the font a bit.

When I left the U.S. I left 70 boxes of books. I don't need to start another collection.

I can always buy on old hardback with a strong smell of mildew and a slight stench of cat pee with which to sit and reminisce.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I prefer the feel of a hard/softcover book in my hands. Although I also read e-books for convenience and portability, there is nothing like a traditional book - the cover, inside blurb, basically everything.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
doglvr

Post by doglvr »

For me nothing will ever replace a hard cover book. I'm an avid reader & always become part of the book. I do have a Kindle as I like long, long stories & this makes a book hard to carry. Also, I download books to my tablet for when I'm doing a jigsaw puzzle.

You can tell books are my addiction.
nsharpes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nsharpes.html

Post by nsharpes »

I love physical books, whether they are hard cover or soft cover. However, if its a book that I'm not overly invested in or not really looking forward to, then I will buy it for my Kindle. I also find that I have a lot of short stories and novellas on my Kindle as well.
DawnM411

Post by DawnM411 »

I love all books. Hardbacks are my favorite, I like paperbacks for the size and weight aspect. I have the kindle app on my iPad and my iPhone which I have cone to love. I can get a book anytime I want, either from Amazon or my library. I can start on my iPad and pick up on my iPhone when waiting for an appointment. I find the iPad a bit cumbersome to toss in my purse so I would like something a bit smaller or just get the bigger iPhone. The best thing about the ebooks, I've started to read a lot of authors I've never read due to free books through bookbub.
Janik
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janik.html

Post by Janik »

I love using hardcovers for any gadgets I use. For my tablet it makes it feel more sturdy and protects it from any potential drops. I definitely prefer hardcovers as they're much safer.
darkhuntress
Currently Reading: City of Lost Souls
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkhuntress.html

Post by darkhuntress »

I prefer to have a hard covered book because the spines will not break and the covers themselves will not stay half open after you have been reading for awhile or after you have finished the book itself.
doglvr

Post by doglvr »

Definitely hard cover. I also love big books so when I go anywhere I read on my Kindle. Much easier to carry, but will never replace a hard covered book
faye1442
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by faye1442 »

I was a die hard paper book fan until I received a Kindle Fire last year. Since then, I almost never read soft cover books. For me, I prefer ereaders for various reasons. First, I love the fact that you can adjust the font size. I can hardly look at regular text now without it seeming so small! I also like the back lite, which can be reversed to a black screen with white text. Before this, I would have to either have a lamp on to read while my spouse tried to sleep, or be exiled to another room. Now I can read without disturbing him, and not strain my eyes. Tablet reader all the way!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”