Do You Prefer Hard/softcover or Tablets?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Miss_Jane2014
Currently Reading: Better Off Dead by H.P Mallory
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-jane2014.html

Re: Do You Prefer Hard/softcover or Tablets?

Post by Miss_Jane2014 »

I love hardcover books for my collection, but I use a tablet for convenience sake. I love that I can adjust the text size and the backlight strength. On top of that is the fact that I have almost my entire Amazon library at my fingertips. It is nice to be able to switch books when the one I am reading isn't particularly catching my attention. The biggest perk is that I can take it with me, and still have the ability to switch books without having to carry an extra few pounds of weight.
BookLovers2015
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Little Women
Currently Reading: Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovers2015.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by BookLovers2015 »

I personally like a softcover book because of most hardcover books they have a sleeve what gets on my nerves when I'm reading. Tablets are okay but sometimes I can't get comfortable with a tablet as I would with a paperback book.
MitchellDCalhoun
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MitchellDCalhoun »

I just love to read books no matter whether it is an ebook or a paperback book. It depends on availability of books and ebooks are easily available.
Kaitlin Lake
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: The Vampire Academy Series
Currently Reading: The City Of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-lake.html
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Kaitlin Lake »

I love to read hard\ softcover books than tablets. I love to feel the pages of a real book not a book that all I have to do is tap the screen to change the pages.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I used to prefer hardcover/softcover books, but am finding that e-books are really growing on me. I find that I read e-books faster. I do still lean toward traditional books....there's nothing like the feel of a book :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
FunLovingBookWorm

Post by FunLovingBookWorm »

I always sort of disliked the feeling of reading off a tablet. I like to read a book that is physically in my hands. If I narrow it down to just either soft or hardcovers, I think I would pick hardcovers. I hate whenever I buy a softcover book and having to be constantly afraid of denting the spine because of how I hold it. I don't know if other people also feel this way but I just hate seeing the flap of the book open when I place a book down or having a dent in the crease. Sometimes I have to take off the front cover of a hardcover book because it can be difficult to read but other than that, I really have no problem against hardcovers.
natosha120
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natosha120.html

Post by natosha120 »

I don't really mind, but do love both hard or soft. I don't mind too much on tablet, since don't use often rather a hard copy. Also,
if I did have to choose only one than Hard cover, it feels like it is meant to last longer.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

Tablets (and my phone) absolutely! Books are cheaper, they're easier to borrow from the library with no possibility of fees and if I'm shopping for em, they're cheaper, have more options and I don't have to wait on shipping. Oh, and the tablet is easier to read from and lighter than books! :)
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
anabrito

Post by anabrito »

I prefer a softcover, actually. Hardcovers are usually hard for me to carry around, once I spend the whole day moving around the city and I need to do two trips: home-university and university-home.
Tablets/eReaders (I own a Kobo Touch) are good to carry around in my situation, but I only use them when I review some book I do not (physically) own. And some times when I need to carry lots of articles to classes - instead of printing them, I put them in my eReader.
mich2491
Favorite Author: Michael Crichton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7838">Full Dark No Stars</a>
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 110
fav_author_id: 2448

Post by mich2491 »

I prefer soft cover to hard cover. As stated before the fact that the hard covers will stay open and not so bad when you drop them as I occasionally do, which with the soft cover it takes a beating and probably lose my place. Been getting better at remembering pages so when I toss it to the side at work for fear someone is coming and will catch me reading instead of working. So besides those problems I stick to the soft cover, but have not really gotten into the ereading. Mostly for why rebuy a book i already have for pretty much full book price where i found my copy for A dollar or two and still work just fine, plus my books can not run out of battery, or skip ahead or behind and take forever looking for the pages all look alike. The idea of storing a lot of books on a little devices sounds fantastic I could trow away a couple book shelfs and clean out bins or corners of books, but again to the repaying. If only they could find you have a copy already then let you download it for free or for a buck or two might make the change worth it. Im sure that would have to be done by some kind of scanner app which would only come on newer books that would again leave me nowhere I would want to be on paying for full price new books. I've noticed the gaming world is going to the download features as well, but what ever happen to having a physical copy of something that can't be simple erased over droping it or a virus or whatever the situation is. Maybe some day when I can buy used copys of downloaded books I will give it A try.
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

Hardcover for sure!
eecartmsmith
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eecartmsmith.html

Post by eecartmsmith »

I prefer to have a actual book in my hand. There is just something about hold an actual book that a tablet does not have for me. I still love going to the book store and buying a book that I love.
OscarsWildest89
Currently Reading: The Tenants
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscarswildest89.html

Post by OscarsWildest89 »

I had an ebook and downloaded a bunch of books. I was reading like my life depended on it. Then one day, it just froze. I lost everything. From now on I only read books that don't need to be re-charged or updated.
hasnaa

Post by hasnaa »

no

kafelsheikh
mich2491
Favorite Author: Michael Crichton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7838">Full Dark No Stars</a>
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 110
fav_author_id: 2448

Post by mich2491 »

OscarsWildest89 wrote:I had an ebook and downloaded a bunch of books. I was reading like my life depended on it. Then one day, it just froze. I lost everything. From now on I only read books that don't need to be re-charged or updated.
Completely agree, i always thought how depressing that would be.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”