Do You Prefer Hard/softcover or Tablets?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
katmiddlebrook
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katmiddlebrook.html

Re: Do You Prefer Hard/softcover or Tablets?

Post by katmiddlebrook »

Physical books will always be my personal favorite! While reading on a tablet--or my iPhone in my case--wins for convenience, there is nothing like holding a book in my hands, turning pages, and bookmarking where I've left off (swiping my finger across a screen just doesn't compare). My favorite books show the evidence of my love for them through the gentle wear and tear of the pages, the occasional bent corner when I need to save my place in a pinch, or smudges from where the story was just too good to put down for lunch. I prefer softcovers to hardcovers because they too start to show the 'patina' of being read (and they're much more malleable and comfortable when curled up in a chair). Plus, let's be honest, who can keep track of hardcover sleeves?
MarkMueller
Favorite Author: Michael Connelly
Currently Reading: I Capture the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markmueller.html
fav_author_id: 3897

Post by MarkMueller »

I love hardcover books. Though I was given a Kindle a couple of years ago, I have never gotten accustomed to it. I like the feel of curling up with a book, turning pages and getting ink on my fingers. I know that electronic book delivery is the future, but I'd like to hold onto the 4th century (lol) for as long as I can.
CarefreeDreams

Post by CarefreeDreams »

I think it really depends on what kind of book it is.... it seems weird I know, but if you really enjoy the book series or its your favourite book you read over and over again then paperback is the way.

I do have hardbacks but I really don't have any preference towards them, I typically buy them when the book I want only has hardback covers.

And I love using my tablet(s) especially on holiday because its portable and I can pack as many books as there is space available on the tablet!!
Corybarclay
Currently Reading: Warbreaker
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corybarclay.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Corybarclay »

I prefer hardcover/softcover, because I don't bring my tablet everywhere I go, but I can always bring a physical book with me. :) That being said, I use my tablet to read just as much as I read physical books hehe.
srm628
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srm628.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Post by srm628 »

I like both paperbacks and ebooks. I like paperbacks better (probably from not being allowed ereaders in school). Ebooks are nice and convinent, but nothing beats holding a book in your hands.
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

My tablet lets me read books for cheaper and I can always have a few extras stored on there in case the book I'm reading isn't what I want to read at that specific moment but I do get lost more in hard/soft cover books. If I know I'll love a book, I'll go ahead and buy the hard/soft cover instead of the kindle version. Plus if you have ones with pretty covers, they look nice sitting on the shelf.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
liniageline89
Currently Reading: Ender's Game
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by liniageline89 »

I read on my tablet at college all the time. I am notorious for finishing at least one book a day. When Christmas came around, most of my classmates gave me hard/softcover books and, one month later, I have not read one of them!
I used to think that I preferred physical books. Two years of travelling and a return to boxes and boxes of physical books later, I think, I think I actually enjoy my tablet more. The tablet has a feeling of unlimitedness, the reading never stops. I can instantly look up a word or highlight a sentence without fear of damaging the book. The moment I am done, I can search for the author for more books to read. I CAN READ AT NIGHT!

With tablets, reading is infinite.
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

I prefer softcover/paperbacks personally, but due to the fact that space is limited, I'm getting more used to reading on my Kindle.
kstockard
Currently Reading: The World at Night
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kstockard.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by kstockard »

I have always preferred hardcover books over softcover books. I think it keeps the book in better condition and is my preferred option. However, I also have an eReader. I like my tablet when I don't have a ton of room for multiple books. Also, Kindle books tend to be a more economically feasible option sometimes.
joycentiriwaa
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycentiriwaa.html

Post by joycentiriwaa »

softcopy
ollesternberg

Post by ollesternberg »

A hard cover feels better to own first of all. It is almost like the royalty in books IMO. Also, bigger fonts, excellent paper quality and the hardcover ones are more durable as compared to paperbacks. I however am slowly moving towards eBooks simply because I can carry more than one in my phone or tablet and read them as I please. Carrying the book around I difficult for me as I travel a lot. At home though, I have a lovely collection of hard covers; my dad and I are bookies and we love collecting good volumes. I insist on him gifting me a hard cover of a classic every year. Hoping to have a wonderful old world style library in a few years.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

I have converted to EReaders like Kindle on my smartphone. No more paperback books for me.
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

there's just this pride building up reading in a hardcover.
so I prefer Hardcover.
AuthoressWenona

Post by AuthoressWenona »

knighthkm wrote:I personally prefer to read a hard/softcover book. I guess the only thing I like about reading on electronics is that it doesn't make me sleepy. How do you feel about reading on a tablet or laptop?

I prefer soft cover books. Much easier to handle
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I prefer to read a hard/softcover book as it is much easy to read and carry. I am more comfortable with these as compare to tablets and eBooks.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”