Do You Prefer Hard/softcover or Tablets?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Jess07
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jess07.html

Re: Do You Prefer Hard/softcover or Tablets?

Post by Jess07 »

Most of the books I own are softcover, so I find myself preferring to read books in this form, however soft or hard cover will do! I have recently purchased a kindle in the last six months, but I think there is just something about reading a printed book that you just can't get from an e-reader! I am slightly disappointed with my purchase as I was really hoping to expand my book collection electronically, but it just hasn't happened. For me, nothing is the same as having a good book in your hands! :D
OvErBookeD
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-overbooked.html
Latest Review: "Daniella Beckett and the Beast of Whitechapel" by A. J. McLeod
Reading Device: B00G2Y5YIG

Post by OvErBookeD »

Nothing beats holding a book and I love the look of a soft covered book that is ragged and dogeared from being read and re-read. When I go to people's homes, this is how I know which books are their favourites! I just walk over to their book shelf and can learn so much about them without leaving that spot.
Latest Review: "Daniella Beckett and the Beast of Whitechapel" by A. J. McLeod
webworkz7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-webworkz7.html

Post by webworkz7 »

I can go for both options. Each of them has its own advantage in every single way for readers to be comfortable with...
amaziah19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amaziah19.html

Post by amaziah19 »

I prefer hardcover if I can afford it. Looks better on my bookshelf and holds up during travel. I normally end up with softcover do to price/affordability. My tablet only gets used while I'm on vacation or if I want to find free books.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I prefer my eReader for the ease of always having a book on hand to read but nothing will ever beat a good hardcover/softcover book. I enjoy my actual books now so much more because of the ereader.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I prefer my eReader for the ease of always having a book on hand to read but nothing will ever beat a good hardcover/softcover book. I enjoy my actual books now so much more because of the ereader.
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Whichever one holds the best story.

I like holding softcover books, because I am one of those people who fold the book all the the way back and bend the spines.

*looks around*

I hope there are no librarians on this site :D

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
MissBookyWorm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missbookyworm.html

Post by MissBookyWorm »

I am usually someone who goes back and forth. When E-readers first came out, I was against them because I wanted something tangible to see my progress in a book (there is nothing like that excitement when you reach different milestones in a book, the half-way point, the 20 pages left point, etc.) Once my sister got her Kindle though, I realized that you could still have that feeling of excitement. I definitely still like the feeling of an actual book, so usually I will go through moods (or whichever edition comes available at the library first).
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I will read on anything, basically. But, if I could support the habit, and had a place to store everything, I would probably stock up on softcovers - because they are cheaper than hard covers. Hard covers look nicer... so that would go in a front room. But the basement would have all the softcovers I could read and then some.
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
stephanierae
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanierae.html

Post by stephanierae »

I tired an e-reader once, and I gave it away the next day! There is something special about opening a new book, cracking the spine, and snuggling in to turn the pages. I really think a book tells the story of a person - a tea stain? They must love drinking tea! The dog-eared a certain page to come back to - they must have been really moved by this scene. Is it covered in cat/dog fur? They own an animal. Books have so much more to tell us than the story within the pages!
polly-petkova
Currently Reading: Dao de jing
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polly-petkova.html

Post by polly-petkova »

Paper books have their own smell and story, I would choose that everytime!
But to be honest I've been eyeing e-readers lately because it is simply impossible to fit enough books for a 2-week vacation in a cabin bag! I just end up throwing clothes away to fit my books, which my wardrobe does not appreciate ..
Volgal87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-volgal87.html

Post by Volgal87 »

I like to hold a hard/soft back book and to turn the pages. E-readers are wonderful for vacations and trips, so you do not have to pack several heavy books. Also on e-readers you can change the font, and order new books at the touch of a button.
Book Maven
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-maven.html

Post by Book Maven »

Depends. I never prefer an ebook...ever...but between HC and PB it comes down to the smell and whether or not it's a series or a book that I adore. Like Harry Potter series for instance. HC was a must have.
its a mun thing
Currently Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-its-a-mun-thing.html

Post by its a mun thing »

I'm absolutely fan of paperback books. Might be a bad habit but I love books that are used and old. the worse the condition the more I treasure it.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”