Featured Review: The First Noble Truth by C Lynn Murphy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Featured Review: The First Noble Truth by C Lynn Murphy

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The First Noble Truth" by C Lynn Murphy.]
Book Cover for 2234
Share This Review

The first noble truth of Buddhism is that all of life consists of suffering.

The First Noble Truth, the book, is a hauntingly well-written exploration of this truth.

The book follows the lives of two women, Krista from Vermont and Machiko from Japan, as they live, suffer, and eventually become friends. In Krista’s life, a lot happens, most of it pretty appalling. Machiko leads a more “normal,” day to day life, yet the author is so good at writing about our day to day existence that the passages about Machiko are just as hard to put down.

The descriptions of Machiko’s inner life are among the best passages in the book, and also the most difficult to read. Machiko has a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder that compels her to pluck out her hair and pick at her skin. We are treated to detailed descriptions of the satisfaction Machiko gets from plucking a nice, coarse hair, one that brings a wet bit of skin with it and leaves a clean wound behind. A TV ad for a depilatory rockets her into fantasy, just as if she were a pedophile or an alcoholic. She plucks all over her body. She stays up into the wee hours plucking. She hates herself in the morning.

Yes, it’s gross, but believe it or not, it’s a page-turner. You find yourself reading this blow-by-blow description of an out-of-control compulsive behavior with almost the same kind of compulsion with which Machiko plucks. (I do NOT recommend this book for people who are tempted to pluck or pick, as it is likely to make them fall off the wagon.)

But the book is not all hairs and horror. There are also restful passages that describe the town where Machiko lives, the rice paddies, the temple, the tatami mats. Similarly, in Vermont, there are passages about the beauty of the trees in Krista’s mother’s garden. Yet even these descriptions of Nature are often infused with an ominous tension that vibrates through the whole book.

One really outstanding thing about this book is how well it describes life in modern Japan, without being about modern Japan and without resorting to clichés. We get to see all kinds of sensory details about how the Japanese keep warm in the winter (heated tables that you stick your legs under); how they celebrate various holidays; their family and social dynamics; their food. The language is particularly well-done. Though written in English, the characters’ turns of phrase sound distinctively Japanese. Yet Machiko is not just a generic “typical Japanese woman” (obviously); she feels different within her own culture. And in every scene in which we, say, go to the school or to the family temple, there is something else going on, something relating to the plot.

Saying more would spoil the book, so I’ll just say that there is “so much more” that I have not covered.

I had a love-hate relationship with this book. First, I loved it, because it is so well-written. By about three-quarters of the way through, I dreaded to pick it up, because I knew something horrid was about to happen and wasn’t sure I wanted to see the particulars. By the end, I loved it again.

To what can I compare The First Noble Truth? Pearl Buck comes to mind. The Good Earth, Pavilion of Women … is The First Noble Truth really as good as these great works of literature? It sure seemed like it to me, and it’s definitely the same genre. I give it four out of four stars.

Buy "The First Noble Truth" on Amazon
View hassle-free sample of "The First Noble Truth"
clynnmurphy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by clynnmurphy »

Thank you for such a lovely review!

I'm glad you liked it, and I'm extraordinarily flattered by the comparisons.
Edomifeoma

Post by Edomifeoma »

nice one
autumnbharris

Post by autumnbharris »

This sounds like a disturbing, yet interesting read. I have always had a fascination with psychological disorders and addictions and find myself reading several books about them. I may have to check this book out. Thanks for the review!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Oh! Now there is another book I want to read! I'm an American living in Japan, and this sounds like something I could totally understand and get into because I have experienced some of it for myself (at least the modern Japanese bits).
And the fact that the author's name is similar to mine is eerily awesome as well... 8)
lisateb
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisateb.html
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig

Post by lisateb »

Wow, great review! This would be great for my friend who is studying Japanese and OCD. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

ALynnPowers wrote:Oh! Now there is another book I want to read! I'm an American living in Japan, and this sounds like something I could totally understand and get into because I have experienced some of it for myself (at least the modern Japanese bits).
And the fact that the author's name is similar to mine is eerily awesome as well... 8)
Yes, Lynn, you must be fated to read this book. :-)

Yes, I would absolutely recommend it to anyone with an interest in, or experience of, Japan.

-- 21 Sep 2014, 22:31 --
lisateb wrote:Wow, great review! This would be great for my friend who is studying Japanese and OCD. Thanks for the review!
Japanese and OCD? What a coincidence! Yes, this would seem to be the book for your friend.

-- 21 Sep 2014, 22:33 --
autumnbharris wrote:This sounds like a disturbing, yet interesting read. I have always had a fascination with psychological disorders and addictions and find myself reading several books about them. I may have to check this book out. Thanks for the review!
It is very disturbing, Autumn. Hope you enjoy it though.
SUTHASKY

Post by SUTHASKY »

I have always wanted to read a book that introduces another culture and at the same time has a compelling story in it. Now I feel tempted to read this book. Thank you for a lovely book review.
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Thanks! ... And if you haven't yet read them, definitely also check out the Pearl Buck books I mentioned.
isabella

Post by isabella »

Great Review. I would love to try out this book. I don't usually opt for the psychological kind, but this book sounds like something I would actually enjoy reading.
dijray

Post by dijray »

nice one
calfurshoney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calfurshoney.html

Post by calfurshoney »

This sounds like a book that I may not want to put down. I have OCD and I am always intrigued to read about others that suffer from it and how it affects them and how they handle it. Headed over to Amazon now. Thank you for the great review.
clynnmurphy

Post by clynnmurphy »

Hello All,

I am so flattered and honored by your interest in my novel. I hope those of you who read it enjoy it, and I'd love to hear what you think.

And please, tell your friends! Word of mouth is the best publicity!

Kind regards,

Christine
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

Thank you for this great review! I will definitely be putting this book on my TBR list. I love books about other cultures, but it is hard to find ones that don't devolve into cliches. This seems like it will be a refreshing alternative.
H0LD0Nthere

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Thanks everyone! All the good things you say about this book are certainly true.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”