Schools using tablets instead of books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
jeff1962
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff1962.html
Latest Review: "The Vilcabamba Prophecy" by Robert Rapoza
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Re: Schools using tablets instead of books

Post by jeff1962 »

When my nieces where in school all the lockers had been taken out meaning that they would have to lug all of their books all day. If they had tablets all of the books they needed could have been on one easy to handle device.

Although tablets will not replace the total experience of actually holding a book I find it easier to read. You can easily adjust the size of the font on a tablet saving the extra expense and trouble of getting a large print edition.

The two biggest disadvantage of kids using tablets are they get lost and damaged. Tablets and other mobile devices are always getting left on buses, in cafeterias or just left at home. beverages are always getting spilled on them, they get dropped or sat on.
Latest Review: "The Vilcabamba Prophecy" by Robert Rapoza
Justmandijojo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Justmandijojo »

I don't condemn the use of tablets in the classroom altogether, but I do think that books should remain the main source of reading material in schools. Tablets are great for some aspects of the educational system but when it comes to reading, books will always be better in my eyes.
lovely1

Post by lovely1 »

In my opinion children are to attached to devices. I love when I walk into my children's classroom and the teacher along with the students are reading from a book and interacting.
Erich_gray
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erich-gray.html

Post by Erich_gray »

I am not against tablets in schools but I do think that they should not come till middle school. The reason is, as one poster stated, that children become attached to things. And to be attached to the real object, i.e. book, the child is more connected to the book itself, not a computer or tablet with all kinds of tabs and such. Just page after page. The child becomes more focused.

I can see how having textbooks on a tablet or reader can help students carry they're books with them and makes it so much lighter as in taking homework to the library or when out with the family and that chapter has to be read by first period tomarrow morning. But to be completely reliant on technology to me takes away from the actual experiance of reading. It is a catch 22 sort of speak.

Erich
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I've already replied to this topic, but I'd just like to say another thing, if I may.

It can be really hard not to be a book snob. I know. I'm pretty sure I'm half of one, simply because I'd prefer a library to a Kindle and love my copy of Les Miserables to death, or at least to the point where I've cracked the spine in two places. There's something sensory about a book that can't be matched by a tablet or a computer. You can run your thumb over the pages and hold it up to your nose to smell them. You can feel the reassuring weight of a book under your arm as you walk home alone. I've used books to hold down muslin while I cut patterns and to attempt to swat a fly. (Don't worry, it wasn't an old edition of anything.)

Still, if you only need the information in the book and aren't looking for that sensory feeling, there isn't much difference between a tablet and a book. After all, it's not like the words change when they're made electronic rather than paper-and-ink. It's exactly the same, just on a different medium.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
chibi_kitsune
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibi-kitsune.html
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski

Post by chibi_kitsune »

Schools should stick with the physical books. There is something special about reading a book you can actually feel the weight of and the emotions you go through as you turn a page. Don't get me wrong, eReaders can be great tools, but people should learn to appreciate books before they delve into their replacements. On the other hand, for higher education, i.e. college, putting textbooks on a tablet is nice as you can walk across campus without all the weight, but hard copies are nice when comparing pages and the like.
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski
Phlo

Post by Phlo »

Books are best for schools. Tablets can be used as a book source when not at school.
Elizabeth Rogers 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-rogers-47.html

Post by Elizabeth Rogers 47 »

Germs can live on a book for a very long time. Also, people eat while reading, and I have taken a book out of the library that contains grease that appears to have originated on pizza or a cheeseburger, and in another case the filling from a jelly doughnut! Many of us cannot afford to buy all our own books. Of course the tablet is not free, but I think it is a good argument for tablets. Mine is still on lay-a-way, but I believe I won't look back once I get it into my hot not-so-little hands.
I am hoping for solar-powered batteries. I have seen them somewhere, and know they could be very important with the strange weather we've been having.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Even though are many pros and cons to consider, I think that the school has already made up its mind, and we shall just have to wait and see the outcome.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
aditibhatt002

Post by aditibhatt002 »

Its all about technology ! Its great news for everyone.
kellywheeler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kellywheeler.html

Post by kellywheeler »

on one hand using tablets would save trees and there are tablets out there that have the same appearance of a book page to save your eyes from the glare of computer screens. If the school is smart I would suggest they put protective covers on the tablets. There is also the added bonus of children learning to use today's technology, it is being used more and more and it is stunting a child's learning if they don't have access to this.
aysha_yh

Post by aysha_yh »

My younger brother is 12 and has a tablet for school - it is quite useful having all their textbooks on one device as obviously you take a LOT of subjects at that age and it can be difficult to remember the correct books for each lesson
SuduNona
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sudunona.html

Post by SuduNona »

As a returning teacher after years away from the classroom I have found very young kids merrily using tablets. cutting and pasting text and reproducing it as part of their assignments, when they cannot read a word of what they have captured. Hence bits cut out of Wikipedia end with things like this!

For the computer input device, see Graphics tablet. For other uses, see Tablet.
"Convertible (computer)" redirects here. For the IBM computer of this name, see IBM PC Convertible.

These devices should be used with wisely, not to keep kids quiet!
A_showers1196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-showers1196.html

Post by A_showers1196 »

As I am going into my senior year of high school and I am an avid reader of real life books and also a fan of technology, I am not at all biased by my age when I say that I would prefer a real book over a tablet in school (unless we are talking mathematics).

I have many reasons as to why I believe real books should remain in schools. Here is my argument:

1. Real books are awesome. You can clearly see the length by how thick they are and track your progress by the good ol' bookmark-close-and-check method.
2. If you give a student a book, whether it be a novel or a textbook, they take up more space. In a car, a backpack, anything. So if the student carries home the book and has to luff it around, they are more likely to crack it open. At least that's the way I think.
3. Tablets are awesome too (don't call me a hypocrite here, I have my reasons). Math textbooks. First of all, can they even be considered a book? More numbers than words is a sin, especially when the text is 600 pages and 8 lbs of nonsense. If teacher is too lazy to just print us all a worksheet with three problems on it, then I'm too lazy to carry home my textbook and most of the time just end up taking a picture of the pages I need anyway. Don't print a useless math textbook when putting them online or making an ebook is just as affective.
4. No one is going to steal my Huck Finn book, but a shiny tablet might catch a thief's eye in the backseat of my Jetta and then I'll be left with a broken passenger side window and an obligation to my school.
5. I understand that tablets save trees and are practical in this day and age, but I can't play the Kim Kardashian game or tweet to my friends on my paperback. Less distractions is always a good thing.

So, all in all, I vote books over tablets unless it's something as silly as a math text as thick as Nicki Minaj's booty.
1Book-a-Holic-Ila2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1book-a-holic-ila2.html

Post by 1Book-a-Holic-Ila2 »

I am so against this idea.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”