Schools using tablets instead of books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
luigiymario2
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Favorite Book: Infernos by Dan Brown
Currently Reading: The lost symbol by Dan Brown
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luigiymario2.html
fav_author_id: 2452

Re: Schools using tablets instead of books

Post by luigiymario2 »

well, as i was introduced to a preparatory where we can use digital books in our tablets, I think that is good for the schools to use the tablets instead of books, because it can make the education more interactive.
cbmatte07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbmatte07.html

Post by cbmatte07 »

This particular topic often comes up for discussion. I have tested the E-readers both via tablet, smartphone and Kindle and it just does NOT measure up to a physical book in hand. You cant smell the pages, flip the pages in eager anticipation of the next page, it takes the perhaps irrelevant fun out of having a fancy bookmark or book-light. As convenient as these electronics may be whats to stop you from throwing a paperback in your purse? Or carrying around a favorite or enticing hard cover? My opinion is if your REALLY are a book lover you would appreciate the homey feeling of having a BOOK not a machine in your hands. The strain on your eyes. The expense. Not to mention its eliminating the use for libraries and book stores for more electronics and that takes away a piece of history in my mind.
Dolliebaby77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolliebaby77.html

Post by Dolliebaby77 »

I would say no. Because parents would need to pay for them fully and if they broke more expensive to replace versus a actual book.
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

Tablets would be perfectly fine in schools, books are too heavy and if you get them wet, there is no repairing them.
Heck, the textbooks my school used, if you damaged them, they'd charge you for the book, and they were $100 or so, so if you measure that out, and consider the expenses per book/per tablet, it would be a much cheaper option for schools to go to tablets, and put money into something else useful for the children!
cbmatte07 wrote:This particular topic often comes up for discussion. I have tested the E-readers both via tablet, smartphone and Kindle and it just does NOT measure up to a physical book in hand. You cant smell the pages, flip the pages in eager anticipation of the next page, it takes the perhaps irrelevant fun out of having a fancy bookmark or book-light. As convenient as these electronics may be whats to stop you from throwing a paperback in your purse? Or carrying around a favorite or enticing hard cover? My opinion is if your REALLY are a book lover you would appreciate the homey feeling of having a BOOK not a machine in your hands. The strain on your eyes. The expense. Not to mention its eliminating the use for libraries and book stores for more electronics and that takes away a piece of history in my mind.
Also, this is completely off topic of whether or not schools should use the tablets, but I do respect your love of physical books!
pandatoco

Post by pandatoco »

I think that tablets are good for reducing loss of trees. I, am agianst them bringing tablets into schools for the children, staring at electronics for too long is really bad for you. Not to mention never holding a book, being able to flip the pages, and smelling that wonderful book smell. Although tablets are good for some things and may cost the school a little less. I think it's better for everyone to have books.
Neefoo
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: the murder of Roger Ackroyd
Currently Reading: Life After Life . KATE ATKINSON
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Neefoo »

I believe that we should use tablets in our schools Because:
1- They facilitate the learning process.
2-They make learning very attractive and fun for kids.
tracy1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy1.html

Post by tracy1 »

I think schools should stick to books. I myself am a college student and I still like to have my books for school that way.
okayLexi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okaylexi.html

Post by okayLexi »

Personally, I am against introducing tablets into school districts. Kids are so fixated and dependent on technology as it is, I cannot imagine expanding that need to the classroom. I always believed that physically holding a book and feeling those pages somehow brought you closer into the story. I could get lost in a paper or hardback book, whereas reading on a Kindle is simply something to do.
rjhaug
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjhaug.html
Latest Review: "Ghost Unit-Chasing Destiny" by Levi Peretz

Post by rjhaug »

I can see this both ways. Research shows learning is best taught with the books. But being a Mom with athletes it would be nice for them to have on the bus traveling to and from games. We are in a rural area and travel is a part of our lives. Also no more excuses for teachers and students on missing homework.
Latest Review: "Ghost Unit-Chasing Destiny" by Levi Peretz
kwill662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwill662.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by kwill662 »

There are many positives and negatives to both using a tablet and using a real live book. While many people believe that a book is always the best bet, I am the opposite. I understand with a tablet you have to worry about many things you do not have to worry about with a book, but what about the things the tablet helps with. I think it would actually help save the schools money, because lets face it while initial cost would be higher the e books are quite a bit cheaper, not to mention with Kindle prime and Kindle unlimited (FYI I am a kindle girl) the kids would be able to pick up reading other things. Another thing I have seen with the tablet is that more kids are willing to read. I believe it is the fact it is lighter weight, easier to carry and back lit. While I understand that this is not best for the kids eyes and that it can cause issues later in life. How many people can honestly say they never read a book with very little light, because that it bad for your eyes as well. I personally think it is only something that only the school can decide. They know their students better than anyone, and know whether or not it will help or hurt.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
tubagirly
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tubagirly.html

Post by tubagirly »

I believe tablets and the like are going to create problems for the next generation in terms of attention spans. There's something about immersing yourself in to the pages of a great book. It's hard to do that on a tablet and you're thinking about how long it will take for the next Angry Birds game to load.
tfni85

Post by tfni85 »

I think schools should use both books and tablets! Both would benefit children and help them learn! Kids these days would benifit from educational computer programs, these have helped my 8 year old greatly. But in other circumstances he need the books.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

They should not upgrade to tablets. Students will be distracted and it keeps your eye tired. Last year we used smart board in our school a lot and my eyes were dying. You can't look at a computer scene whole day. It is not healthy.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

I'm afraid I have no choice. My school has already have a Tablet Ownership Scheme thing going on. We do have regular textbooks as well, though. It will be a pain to carry a textbook and a tablet plus a laptop to school.

I'm starting my first year in university this August.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
T166ets

Post by T166ets »

As an elementary librarian I wanted to offer as many options as I could for my students. Many of them had tablets and our ipad was loaded with a variety of books. I found though that when I offered them the ipad, they were looking for games. For reading their preferred format was a book they could hold.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”