Schools using tablets instead of books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Stephy
Currently Reading: The Eternity Cure
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephy.html

Re: Schools using tablets instead of books

Post by Stephy »

I like that the tablets can read back to kids and they can play some learning games all onthe same device. They are using tablets in my daughters preschool class next year. They can be really good for a younger kid, but they may get addicted to it if your not careful, especially the later in life they use them. Teenagers are good for that. But as long as they are reading and love it, I say why not.
indiereader101
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by indiereader101 »

I'm kind of old fashioned, so I don't like it very much. I rather having the physical book in my hands than just having it downloaded in an Ipad or something. I could get easily distracted by it.
sheenah1221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheenah1221.html

Post by sheenah1221 »

I have 3 children who are going to be in 3 different schools. No I do not believe they should have tablets instead of paper books. Not only for the financial responsibilty that puts on my shoulders but on the logistics of them studying and finding information on there own vs searching thru a computer system.
alauddinkaka

Post by alauddinkaka »

IT sector develop day by day.Internet gives us many important opportunity. Tablet is one of them.
shellyb0813
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shellyb0813.html

Post by shellyb0813 »

I do not thinks tablets a a good leaning tool in the classrooms. These children get so obsessed with them and the games they can find, and things on YouTube, that they forget all about the work they are supposed to be doing.
Reviews4U
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviews4u.html

Post by Reviews4U »

I feel students should NOT be allowed to use tablets instead of books. The teachers don't know if the student is actually reading, and reading on a screen can actually mess with your eyes. It is much betterto just readon a book.
robby12345uk
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robby12345uk.html

Post by robby12345uk »

I am in some respects at heart a traditionalist but equally to be fair, electronic devices are the future, that is what the kids would use after school, it is what they would use in the workplace so they need to develop the familiarity and skills and that is our responsibility to them. Life evolves so must education.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

September 2015, I approached my son's teachers about using books. His government teacher informed me that I was old school. He dislike using books, because he claims learning with books is a slower process. The entire instructional day is strictly computers.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
nikkolawson
Currently Reading: The Book of Life
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkolawson.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by nikkolawson »

I have a Nook myself (which was purchased for the convenience when traveling) but I prefer reading traditional paper books. I know I am repeating what others have said, but I still would like to add my opinion. I believe it is good for children to learn to use technology, but I think they should stick with traditional books for reading. Kids are using computers for research and typing classes already, they are in a sense already required to use technology in several areas of their curriculum's. So, why not let them read paper books? I LOVE being able to open up a book and feeling the pages underneath my fingertips, turning the page as I finish the last words of the page, it is almost therapeutic to me. I don't want that to be a lost luxury to children of the future generations.

This is just my opinion!!
maryakusiak
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryakusiak.html

Post by maryakusiak »

I like hard copy books although society is a technical driven world and I think kids should be allowed in middle school and high school to use electronic equipment to take notes in class and to do research!
NDReader

Post by NDReader »

I have one child in a pilot one-to-one device program and one child in a traditional program. The student doesn't just use the device during reading time, but it has replaced physical textbooks as they access the online textbooks. Although it is early in the school year, the child in the device/tablet program experiences a lot less technology issues than the non-participant. Their school system has a strong focus on STEM, so the non-device student is also expected to submit most of their work online. Our home systems aren't always compatible with the district's. I do believe the student with the device is more enthusiastic about completing homework, but that could be a personality trait instead of a device issue.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I would really prefer if schools just stick to using books. I can see how convenient it would be for students to use e-readers because it would save a lot of space and it would be easy to get the books on tablets. I feel however that sometimes your eyes need a break from the screen. I have been working on my laptop for a long time and I'm staring at screens all day long everyday. It would be nice to have a break once in a while and just read an actual book than an ereader so if I was a student, I'd probably prefer the books.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I think schools ought to find a balance. I really like using physical books, but it's also important to get kids introduced to technology so that they're comfortable with it from a young age.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
ronrogers

Post by ronrogers »

I was interested in your opinion of whether you think that schools should upgrade to tablets instead of books, and which option is better for the child.
jwebser12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwebser12.html

Post by jwebser12 »

As an elementary reading teacher, I would personally prefer my students to have books instead of tablets. There is the expense/damage issue, along with children with different disabilities to take into account when considering tablets. I am "old school" and want my students to experience the love of books that I had growing up.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”