Schools using tablets instead of books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Re: Schools using tablets instead of books

Post by pretzelsnow »

I have mixed opinions on this.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
lydiaprice
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lydiaprice »

My Kid's elementary school gives students iPads to use (3rd grade and up) and this is the second year they have done it. I thought it was a dumb idea at first, but we love it! The ipads have strong cases and my kids remember to charge them every night (I make it their responsibility). They use them only for educational stuf and it's great. And they still read books. ;)
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

My kid's school is using Macbook Air nows to replace textbooks. Their purpose is to "reduce books" but she brings home all of her textbooks everyday. An online textbook isn't the same as the physical copy. I think it's easier to study and use physical textbooks than staring at a computer screen. How do you focus like that? I would get a headache.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
gervaisk
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gervaisk.html

Post by gervaisk »

I know that a lot of schools are going the techno way and I think it's good. One of the reasons kids are so turned off with reading is because they read old books because it's too expensive for schools to buy the new release books. It's a way to stay up to date with new novels and it eliminates a lot of recycling of old books. It also saves a lot of space in a classroom. So why fight it. The future is changing so let's change with it.
Naira

Post by Naira »

And I'm against it. E.g. tablets have negative influence on our health whereas books -don't. As for me it's a kind of punishment and not a privilege to be able to use tablets instead of books.
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

I think tablets are a nuisance, but they aren't as heavy as textbooks. The weight of textbooks does have a negative influence on health-on student's backs, where backpacks are already heavy enough. Also, tablets have other uses in addition to taking the place of textbooks.
cam24eron
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cam24eron.html

Post by cam24eron »

My sons school uses an iPad for all the textbooks and class work. Now they email all of their assignments to their teachers, instead of worrying about lost papers. With my sons school since they did take out textbooks, they do require the students to go check out books at the library and read from them daily.
Opalemt11

Post by Opalemt11 »

There are many pros to switching to digital books. Cost is often used as a primary argument. Tablets average in my own estimate from $200 on a low end to $500 on the higher end. Where text books are less expensive individually, students usually require 5-7 texts plus workbooks and study guide. Digital books are usually less expensive. So, over the long spectrum, the cost is less of an expanse between the two options.

Tablets are more fragile than texts, however a protective case can improve durability. Since digital data can be accessed by one user one multiple devices such as a computer or home tablet, school tablets do not have to be sent home with students.

Children are easily destracted. A tablet will not increase or decrease a child's participation. If a student is prone to wandering mind, then the only difference is solitaire vs. doodles or art work on paper.

Children with learning disabilities are already incorporating these devices into their IEP's.
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

Though I love the feel of a good old fashioned book, I have seen the tablets in action in the classroom. My son has autism and is currently using an ipad for reading amongst many many other educational apps. I love that everything is interactive, not only can you read the stories,but they can be read to you and definitions are at the touch of your finger. I don't see a problem with concern as to what the child is working on because the screen can be locked on that app. I find not just with my son but with many other children that our school has been testing this on that using the tablets is much more engaging and is opening their minds to a fun way of learning. I have personally seen my son grow academically from using such a device and have seen other children's reading and comprehension grow. Think of how many parents are just too busy to sit and read with their child and how those children can suffer academically and think of these interactive books that do actually teach children to read. I think it's great.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

I think that schools should use real books because they are more durable. I think that if schools start using tablets instead of books, that real books will become extinct. If kids and their families are not reading books in hardback or paperback, they will not sell. Therefore they will not be published and we will only be the digital age. There several other disadvantages as well. For one, tablets have to be charged. There is not unlimited time to be on them. Also kids can't take books home with them, so if they do not have a tablet, then they will most likely not read. There is also more responsibility because tablets are more expensive, so if something happens to them, they are harder to replace. I know that many people have arguments for tablets, but personally I think that schools should stick using real and physical books.
Ailla
Currently Reading: Grapes of Wrath
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailla.html

Post by Ailla »

I'm going to look at this not only as a student who is in a school that has accepted the digital age, but also critically because of that experience.

My school gives all of their students' laptops within the first two weeks of coming on campus for your first year. I'm not going to lie, our computers with the rest of our supplies can be heavy, not as heavy as multiple textbooks, but heavy. This, however, can change depending on what amount of school supplies and additional things you carry around with you. We have an online learning domain/hub page where nearly all of our homework gets posted for us to see, no matter where we are. There are problems with getting a loaner laptop if yours breaks, but the school does have replacement ones while yours is getting fixed. At the most, we're without a laptop for a day or two. Because my school uses laptops, some of my peers use their own on the school's public wifi.

Now of course everyone at my school is responsible and it's a small campus so everyone knows everyone. (O.T. Which is amazing considering we're the 6th largest city in the US). The thing is, even with responsible students - kids who can be mischievous, the school restricts our access to the internet. These are sites that have been found to be un-educational (Tumblr), distracting (Pinterest, any game website), etc. It is blocked from being access on the school's wifi.

Being a technologically advanced school is the school of the future and this might start at a young age (Middle School for full classroom use, introduction but optional for Elementary). There is still a choice. Yes, your kid needs to use this device at school, but you as their parent if they have a project/research paper could always take them to the library.

Now let's think about the types of services that schools and parents have available to them. Amazon has a really interesting product called Kindle Freetime. It can be set to require a specific amount of reading time before anything else unlocks, and it works with all of their tablet products. Could schools take this example, and literally teach kids to read by locking their tablets to homework only before they could get to the games on their tablets? This couldn't just be on the schools, parents would have to be involved as well in they could only use that tablet or download the same application on their computers that the kid would be able to access only because of password protection on everything else.

I'm going to link a couple of things that might be an interesting read for some people. I, myself, spend a lot of time online and looking at screens and have had no adverse effect on my vision. My father, for a living, looks at computer screens all day and has perfect vision. Many studies that I've read have concluded that newer screens don't damage your eyesight. They can cause tension headaches, dry eyes, and eye strain, but these can easily be remedied. Doing a quick google search I was able to find articles referencing the study, but I am unable to post links to the articles that I am looking at. However, there is a New York Times article, Live Science article, and an article from an Optometric Organization.
CoffeyAndBooks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coffeyandbooks.html

Post by CoffeyAndBooks »

Ki understand that the world we live in is technology driven, but EReader instead of books in school is just asking for trouble! Our kids are dependent enough on technology and get upset when it doesn't work properly. We need to stop going for instant gratification and enjoy the objects around us. Books look better, smell better, feel better, and give you a sense of accomplishment that an eReader can provide.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I think introducing tablets is really smart. I teach high school English, and I feel terrible that the students have to lug around a bunch of heavy books. I think having the books on tablets allows them to always travel from class to class with ease, and they do not have the added stress of making sure every single book is in there backpacks.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
aimel369
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimel369.html
Reading Device: B00I8XELOM

Post by aimel369 »

I think schools should stick to old fashion books. I think students do not get the feel of studying on tablets and most of time are distracted by other things. I am student and i tried using tablet instead of books and it didn't work out quite well. i remember one day i think last year i had a very important test and had all my notes on tablet and i was preparing for it in school and it totally shut down due to some problem and i freaked out that day and after that day i never stored my notes on tablet. Even if it is easier to carry around than books. And it is known that you learn better by writing down notes the old fashioned way
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

I have mixed feelings about this as well. I love me some good old-fashioned books, but I grew up using them. However, my children are growing up in a more digital age. In fact, my 12-year-old began middle school this year and the school district is requiring that every student use a laptop for their middle school career. It is provided by the school, but the student must take proper care of it. This has proven to be very beneficial for my daughter.

Strangely enough, however, she is not allowed to bring her own Nook to school to use during free time to read. She has several study halls a week and is only allowed to bring paper books. Normally this does not pose a problem, as she read many regular books but she had one book in particular we could not find anywhere except her Nook and she could not read it during school hours. I found that a bit puzzling.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”