Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and E-Readers

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
esbsms
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esbsms.html

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and E-Readers

Post by esbsms »

So I have always read books. They are an important part of who I am. About two years ago I purchased my first Kindle and it opened up a whole new world of book reading. So I kind of got addicted. Any free time I had I would take advantage and read. Now I'm starting to show some symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, although, I haven't been diagnosed. I don't work in an office or do any type of work that could also be causing these symptoms so that leaves using my Kindle.

What are your thoughts on the relationship between Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and using these very awesome and convenient E-readers?
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by sybil1reader »

I don't know if it is carpal tunnel syndrome or not, but I hold my Kindle in my left hand with the corner resting between my forefinger and thumb like the letter "L". I noticed that now I have pain and a burning sensation between those two fingers. Very painful!
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I don't know if there is any connection. I read a lot on my kindle and don't have side effects. You should check it out.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Bluefirerose
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluefirerose.html
Latest Review: "Thomas Kindercook and the Pink Pyjamas" by Gerald Feather
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by Bluefirerose »

I have pain in the hand that is holding whatever I'm reading book or my kindle. I usually lay the kindle in my lap so I don't have this problem. Can't do that with a book :-P
Latest Review: "Thomas Kindercook and the Pink Pyjamas" by Gerald Feather
Tenzi

Post by Tenzi »

I have the same problem. I found the best way around it is actually rather simple, prop a pillow in your lap and lean the e-reader up against it so you don't have to hang onto it. Works great. In a pinch a blanket or your kids stuffed animal will do nicely. If you prefer to read sitting at a desk then they do have stands you can buy, but I don't know how costly they are.
c_medina
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-medina.html

Post by c_medina »

I often prop mine up beside me and read to avoid the fatigue feeling in my hands from holding it. I just wish their was a voice command to turn page!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I read on my kindle often- and for long periods of time and have not noticed any symptoms of carpal tunnel.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Any super repetitive movement (or holding of a position) can damage your muscles and nerves so it's possible holding your Kindle is what's causing your trouble. I have carpel tunnel from something unrelated and find it easier to prop up my kindle against something while I really. That way, all I have to do is scroll or turn the page. Keeps my hands or wrists from hurting.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

I don't think there is anything to do with this syndrome. I have a habit of changing my holding position once in a while just like the way I do while i read physical books.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

I think there is some inherent risk of developing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome when you overuse any electronic gadget, especially those that require typing. Those are also my fears, and I always try to stay as much as possible from my computer when I am not using it.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

I will notice my fingers get sore from tapping after a while but I usually just rearrange how I am holding my Kindle and my switch it to scrolling instead.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”