If you were rich enough would you have both versions

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
readinginreview4
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Re: If you were rich enough would you have both versions

Post by readinginreview4 »

I don't really think it's necessary to have both. I'd probably buy hard copy
CuriousJorgi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curiousjorgi.html

Post by CuriousJorgi »

If money was not an object I would have them all. I have hard backs of the Harry Potter series, as well as, ebook and audio book versions. Same with Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. I like the ebook and audio books when traveling, less space in bags. Plus if I'm on a plane or in a car (not driving) I can't read due to motion sickness, audiobooks come in handy the. At home, I prefer a physical book.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I probably wouldn't. Even though I love reading paper copies of books, because i love to feel the pages as I read, the books take up a lot of space. I already have many books I barely read more than once cluttering my bookshelf and I would honestly rather just read the books electronically just to save space, and the cheaper price of course. But I do buy the physical books of ones that I really like.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
laureng
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laureng.html

Post by laureng »

No, I wouldn't buy two versions, no matter how much money I had. Depending upon which format the book is available in, that is the one I get. If money were no object, I would buy all of the books I want, though two versions of one book seems a bit to much for me.
Pwyrdan
Favorite Author: Susanna Clarke
Favorite Book: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Currently Reading: The Fall of Arthur by J. R. R. Tolkien
fav_author_id: 15707

Post by Pwyrdan »

anomalocaris wrote:I probably would still only purchase hard copies of ones I really wanted to keep, and leave the other stuff in digital form. Then again, if I were that rich, I wouldn't read so much crap. I only read the cheap self-pubbed stuff now because I can't afford the books I really want to read.
I agree. I've been quite enjoying the self-pubbed freebies, some of which are awful, but some are surprisingly good, and I'm trying to write reviews for each to help out. But I do have some favorites in e-book form and printed, and a few that I wish I also had the hard copy.
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

Assuming ordinary printings (not first or special editions), why would you want two copies of a book? Before e-readers did you buy two copies at the same time? Do you borrow two copies of popular books from the library? Read one with the left eye and one with the right?

-- 02 Jun 2014, 10:04 --

"I only read the cheap self-pubbed stuff now because I can't afford the books I really want to read."

What's the library situation in your area of Arizona? Lots of books to read for free at libraries.
roaminginrome16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roaminginrome16.html

Post by roaminginrome16 »

If I was rich enough I would buy physical copies of all the books and when I went away on holidays or on long trips I would buy a load of the books onto my e-reader then buy the physical copies of the books I have enjoyed
Raven2evil
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: Dark Slayer
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven2evil.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by Raven2evil »

I would buy both the electronic version and the physical version. Sometimes I play a little rough with my books. I've lost many books to reading them just a little to much and then slowly falling apart if its a paper back. Now some books I don't mind having in just one form. I can't say I prefer one to the other. They both get the job done for me as long as I'm reading.
Crysaniarai

Post by Crysaniarai »

Interesting question... if money were no object and I had a nice space at home for all those books then yes, I probably would, provided I actually enjoy them of course. I've purchased books for my Kindle on occasion that were on sale that didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped, so I would be sure I really liked the story before getting hard copies too, even if I could afford it!
thegameninja63

Post by thegameninja63 »

ereader version so i dont stop reading
[dghtrAlc]

Post by [dghtrAlc] »

Nope, I would still focus mainly on ebooks from the library, no matter how much money I had. Hard copy books are wonderful and amazing, but they are anchors. Anyone who has moved a couple of times knows the back break of hefting boxes of books around. You tell yourself it's love, and they are WORTH it, but in the end, you still have to figure out where to keep them, and you dust them, and protect them, and sometimes stumble over them, and eventually, maybe, repack them to move again!!

I admit I have many hard copy books in my possession even now, that I keep for sentimental reasons (like I said, it's love), but I haven't bought a hard copy book in the past couple of years.
Lilianar_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianar.html

Post by Lilianar_ »

Only for books I actually really liked ! I do already have many books with both copies ! Usually if that's the case its because I buy it through the kindle app first then find it later on at my local thrift book shop ! I love having both copies ! i think books just look nice and love seeing how much I'd read physically stacked up on my shelf as well as having the convenience of my kindle .
kitty229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitty229.html

Post by kitty229 »

If I had the money I would buy whichever book I wanted to read. I prefer hard copy. I would love to pick up a book from the shelf and read instead of having it in digital format. It is a totally different experience.
katieeboucher

Post by katieeboucher »

Absolutely. Sometimes on Amazon you can buy a hard copy and get an ebook for like $0.99 so you really don't even have to be rich.
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

This would be a dream of mine to have my very own library in my house, but also have the ability to read any book I want on my Kindle.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”