If you were rich enough would you have both versions

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
JessiAnne26
Currently Reading: A Novel Bookstore
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessianne26.html
Latest Review: "Positive Thinking Positive Life: The Mindset" by Phil Hunter

If you were rich enough would you have both versions

Post by JessiAnne26 »

If you had a lot of money would you have all of your books on an e-reader and in hard/paperback/physical copy?
does anyone do this already? If you do what makes it worth it? (i think it's a pretty cool idea, i'd like to see the volume of space all of the books i've read takes up)
Latest Review: "Positive Thinking Positive Life: The Mindset" by Phil Hunter
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

I probably would still only purchase hard copies of ones I really wanted to keep, and leave the other stuff in digital form. Then again, if I were that rich, I wouldn't read so much crap. I only read the cheap self-pubbed stuff now because I can't afford the books I really want to read.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
debbie smith
Currently Reading: Shadowhorn: Age of the Revenant
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbie-smith.html
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by debbie smith »

I would. I love reading the physical copies of books but I commute and am away from home a lot so carrying a book with me adds to what I already have. Yes, I have always done this and still do sometimes, however, most of the time I am reading 2 -5 books all at the same time and carrying all of them with me is too cumbersome. That is where a portable e-reader comes in handy. It fits in my purse, computer bag, or brief and allows me to easily carry over 1500 books everywhere. Now the only books I have to individually carry are those not in e-reader format yet. Also, I love to discover new authors and it is much easier to do that with an e-reader. Another reason is that my spouse has for years told me that I have way too many books on shelves at home as it is. With my e-readers he has no idea how many books I really have because he does not have to look at them or walk around them all the time. (and I don't add to my shelves as often now.) I currently use the Kindle (keyboard and laptop readers) and Calibre as well as a pdf reader on my laptops.
Latest Review: "Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren
itzjojohere
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itzjojohere.html

Post by itzjojohere »

If I were rich enough, I would definitely have both versions; a paperback and an ebook version. I actually do have a few books that I have both versions of. I love those books too much that I actually brought an ebook of it so that I can reread it over and over when I'm at school.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

In that case, I would definitely buy both versions.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

I'd never really thought about this before, but yes. I've always thought if money were no object it would be great to have a library, thousands and thousands of books. But yes, then with duplicates and more on an e-reader.
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
randomcheerio
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomcheerio.html

Post by randomcheerio »

JessiAnne26 wrote:If you had a lot of money would you have all of your books on an e-reader and in hard/paperback/physical copy?
does anyone do this already? If you do what makes it worth it? (i think it's a pretty cool idea, i'd like to see the volume of space all of the books i've read takes up)
That's one of things on my imaginary to-do list when I (hypothetically) win the lottery. I would totally back-up all my physical books on an e-reader and for the books I REALLY love, I would purchase the 1st edition hardcover. Ahh... it's nice to dream, yes? :)
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

No, I think that I would still choose only one. Many books are still only available in one form or the other. If I had a choice it would depend on when and how I wanted to read it.

Since I get most of my books from the library I have found that often one form is overlooked. An e-book may have a long waiting list while the paper or audio form is available to check out today. Sometimes it goes the other way and the paper book has the long waiting list. I try to find all the options and choose the shortest.

I don't buy e-books that I want to keep because I am not convinced that the technology is good enough to allow me to keep an e-book long term. (Info that was stored on disk 20 years ago is now useless, but books from that time are still readable.)
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Post by casper »

Not all my books. Some paper books are special because of sentimental reasons like who gave them to me, and I have no wish to read them on my kindle. And there are quite a few ebooks that I am happy to keep that way to save space.
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

Yes, that would be awesome. I would need a bigger place to live, though.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

I have an ereader but don't use it much. I prefer the hard copy of a book. If I really enjoyed a series on my ereader, I might buy the physical copy. But if I just kind of liked it, I wouldn't bother.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Only a few selected books. But most, no.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
inksomniareads
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inksomniareads.html
Latest Review: "Under A Blood Moon" by Michael Andrews

Post by inksomniareads »

I would probably no longer get ebooks except for those for review, if I had the money to purchase physical copies. Although I do occasionally buy hard copies of books I've read in eformat, I usually wait until I can find it on Amazon for a penny + ship or if I stumble across it at a book sale, unless it's something absolutely amazing and I have to have a copy of it for my shelf.
Latest Review: "Under A Blood Moon" by Michael Andrews
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

As much as I love being around books, I would probably have both formats. I don't buy many regular books anymore, but I still love to browse around the bookstores.
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson
Amsha
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsha.html
Latest Review: "Trophy Target" by Allen Mitchum

Post by Amsha »

I definitely would. I back up all my ebooks in 2 separate hard drives and memory cards cause I hate for one to be corrupted. I like to reread them when I'm not in the mood to read new ones. If I have the money I would buy all the books I like and not worry if it would be deleted or corrupted.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."

-George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Trophy Target" by Allen Mitchum

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”