Overdrive

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Re: Overdrive

Post by Reading lady »

I love the a Overdrive app and have had it and used it for a couple years now. Have also recommended it to friends. It does make life easy. Didn't know that you could access other library systems though. Not sure how that would work. Wouldn't you need an account/library card with them?

Oh almost forgot. They have a huge selection of audio books available through Overdrive also which I love. I can listen to a book while doing something else like my cross stitching. Love both reading and stitching and never have enough time for both of them now I accomplish two things at once.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
HeneryKnox
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heneryknox.html

Post by HeneryKnox »

I didn't even know about this app thank you for sharing I know amazon came out with a new service for it's kindle but with a free app why pay money to lend books. Thank you for sharing this! I know there are a lot of people out there that are casual readers like me that would have never known about this.
sember987
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sember987.html

Post by sember987 »

I love our libraries overdrive accounts I get most of my books from there. I also prefer using the overdrive app then the kindle app to read the books.
librarydancer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-librarydancer.html

Post by librarydancer »

Since no one has posted lately -- I still love Overdrive for my Nook. Not only do I usually have close to the max amount checked out at once, I also have the max on hold waiting for others to finish.

The only problem I seem to have is with the volue on ebooks -- anyone have a solution for that expect an additional speaker outlet?

-- 09 Nov 2014, 14:46 --

Since no one has posted lately -- I still love Overdrive for my Nook. Not only do I usually have close to the max amount checked out at once, I also have the max on hold waiting for others to finish.

The only problem I seem to have is with the volume on ebooks -- anyone have a solution for that expect an additional speaker outlet?
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

Overdrive is an awesome app! I have been using it for years myself. l love the fact that you can download ebooks as well as audiobooks. My library has an extensive collection and it is growing every day. I usually use some kind of headphone while listening to my audiobooks. However, when I am not using headphones, I use my IPAD mini because the speakers are better on it than it is on my nook HD plus. You can use external speakers however, that is definitely an option.

The only negative I can say about overdrive is that the waiting list is sometimes very long for a particular book or audiobook. In these cases I usually just purchase it. I wish I knew how I could enter other libraries databases. I have tried and had no luck; it usually says you must live in the state or country. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can go about doing this I would really appreciate it. Nevertheless, the app itself is very user friendly.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I agree with most of the previous posts that the Overdrive app is excellent. I think that everyone should take advantage of this resource. Just don't make my waiting list longer because of it. ;)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bradybunch84
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: The Secret Garden
Currently Reading: TheHaunted Hour edited by Manson
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by bradybunch84 »

I love Overdrive but I haven't used it for checking out books from my library. Instead, once I get on Overdrive I go to an area for "Books always available" or something like that. They are generally older books, and I do mean 50 years or more old. You can download them for free and they are yours to keep. No giving them back after two weeks or so. I've got 20 books saved to my tablet now that were all free.
a wonderful companion in solitude - (a book)
librarydancer

Post by librarydancer »

The books you can get on Overdrive are not covered by Copyright restrictions, so they have been published before 1910 or so.

For more current books, you can use Overdrive to borrow books from the library.
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

Yes! I love the app, my only problem is that you have to wait, just like a normal library. Oh well, it's free, and it works well!!! :D
There are weapons you cannot hold in your hands. You can only hold them in your mind.
-Brian Herbert
librarydancer

Post by librarydancer »

I've just heard from library staff that the 3M option for books is actually better -- their opinion , of course. While there may be some overlap in titles, there will also be ones unique to 3M. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. I will let everyone know!
Bookl0ver657
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookl0ver657.html

Post by Bookl0ver657 »

I absolutely love Overdrive! I love selecting books and within days receiving them.Some of them are even "newly released" items . I also enjoy the fact that I do not have any fees because it is automatically returned after fourteen days! It keeps my wallet full. :)

The only thing that really limits this application is the library collection. I had the misfortune of my library branch breaking away from the main website and only provide books they currently had. Luckily, I moved and switched to a better library that was still connected with the main website. My library selections were nearly limitless. :D

If you haven't installed Overdrive yet, do. You won't be disappointed.
rose081900
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose081900.html

Post by rose081900 »

I love my library's Overdrive. I have been introduced to so many new authors because of Overdrive, that I usually wouldn't bother with if I were at the regular library. My only complaint about my library's Overdrive is that they don't always have all the books in a series available, so I have to go elsewhere to find the one that is missing, other than that, love it!
demme55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-demme55.html

Post by demme55 »

I love overdrive! I download audiobooks to listen to at work instead of the radio. Plus the benefits of instant access to books anywhere I have cell service without purchasing a book or incurring late fees. The only downside I have found to the app is that when the book is returned before I am finished. I am glad I don't get late fees, but re-downloading a book eats up a lot of my data.
mountaingirl8
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mountaingirl8.html
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mountaingirl8 »

I LOVE Overdrive. It is so easy to use, and it is nice that the book kind of "turns itself in" after the check out period expires. I tell all my friends about it who want to download books and save money.
Phillymom80
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2970">The Cuckoo's Calling</a>
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phillymom80.html

Post by Phillymom80 »

I love overdrive. Since there isn't a library close to me since I moved its easier for me, plus I love the large selection of both ebooks and audio books.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”