E-Reader Recommendations

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Becca-Anne
Bookshelf Size: 0

E-Reader Recommendations

Post by Becca-Anne »

I've always been a devote book reader. I never liked using my phone, a tablet, or an e-reader to read books. I like the feel of having a book in my hands. I love the sound of pages turning in a book. I love everything about a physical book to read from. However, in this day and age it's getting pretty difficult to purchase a 10 dollar book off of Amazon when you can buy the same book for 3 dollars on an E-Reader. It's a hard offer to pass up. So, do you have any good recommendations for a tablet or E-Reader that is light and portable, has a big selection of books, and doesn't feel like a tablet?
What's your favorite E-Reader or tablet to read off of?
neilgriffin

Post by neilgriffin »

I thought that, as an avid reader, I would really struggle to make the change from physical book to ebook but the transition was seamless. I love my Kindle, took to it straight away, and the added bonus is that I can take as many books as I want to on holiday without filling an extra suitcase!
bluemm0926
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemm0926.html

Post by bluemm0926 »

I felt the same way about books--until I bought the Kindle Paperwhite. I LOVE it! I think it make a big difference if you are looking for just an e-reader like the paperwhite versus a tablet such as an ipad or kindle fire. While the latter do more things, I think the reading experience is better on the paperwhite.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I recommend on Kindle as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
emthomas

Post by emthomas »

I'm another Kindle lover. With such a selection of books that it holds, it makes me feel rich! Lots to look forward to, such a never ending supply with many genres, we should all be geniuses. LOL
IvaDivkovic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivadivkovic.html

Post by IvaDivkovic »

Kindle is the best way to go or just stick to the old fashioned hard book style, some people would hate to lose that and the use of libraries.
jafor_rockman

Post by jafor_rockman »

I also suggest Kinkdle.
KumaOkaasan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kumaokaasan.html

Post by KumaOkaasan »

I think it really boils down to what you're going to use it for and what your needs as a reader are. If you can go to a physical store and try some ereaders out, you might want to do that to see which products you like. Online reviews might also be helpful to discuss all the pros and cons of each device. Some people are fine reading on a non-ereader (like an iPad or a smartphone) while others hate it. Some people are going to like the apps and other things you can do with a Kindle Fire or a NOOK Tablet that you can't do with a normal Kindle or NOOK.

(As a side note, I still love paperback books but there's such a convenience to ebooks that it's hard to pass up. Nowadays I really only buy paper books when I REALLY like the series.)

My ultimate suggestion would be Kindle or Kindle Paperwhite, but I know other devices are just fine as well.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

If you don't want something that feels like a tablet, get a Kindle or Kindle Paperwhite. They're small, light, portable, the battery lasts up to a month, and you can put around 1000 books on them.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
RobertM
Favorite Author: Ursula K. LeGuin
Favorite Book: The Lathe of Heaven
Currently Reading: Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett

Post by RobertM »

I think you could actually lock this thread if you wanted. Sometimes there really is just one 'thing' that works the best. And I have to go with Kindle. Besides being the best all-around book reader, there are the other perks.

Like well...Amazon. Free books galore for the Kindle, constant cheapie promotions going for readers, best versions of the public domain books (generally, if you look). It's just the whole package that goes with Amazon's device.

Can Nook and B/N say that? Not even close.

Kindle is King. But then if you really are the best, it's okay to be king. Everybody loves a winner. :)
karlymichele

Post by karlymichele »

what's the highest quality e-reader for the lowest price?
Bookworm42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm42.html

Post by Bookworm42 »

Just the original Kindle (sans the fancy apps and buttons) is great for reading. It is slightly more affordable now since more complex models are out. Just a quick Google search came up with brand new Kindles for around $70, which is great if you factor in all the money you'll save. It even has the e-ink, which is soft on the eyes and reads just like paper and ink. E-ink also has the added advantage of being able to read outdoors without any glare.
mama22

Post by mama22 »

Amazon kindle definitely is a great e-reader
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

I heard that the kindle was really good
jordan hughes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-hughes.html

Post by jordan hughes »

I thought that I would have trouble adjusting to using an e-reader, but it really hasn't been so bad!

I was absolutely certain that if I ever even got an e-reader, that I would want a Kindle. However, my sister had a Nook given to her by her best friend and she never used it so I bummed it off of her for $30 and I love it! I don't need a lot of fancy extras to distract me - the Nook does exactly what I need.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”