Which do you read faster - an e-book or paperback?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
EvieTMcDuff
Bookshelf Size: 1

Re: Which do you read faster - an e-book or paperback?

Post by EvieTMcDuff »

Paperback. I just haven't been able to get into ereaders.
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

Hmm, I've never thought about it before. but I think it takes me longer to read e-books, maybe because I don't see my progress like I do on paperback..? Well, I intentionally don't do that with e-books, because (this might sound silly) I don't want to suffer every single time I realize that I'm about to finish the book and instead suffer only once when I reach the end! Does that make sense? lol! :lol:
bookgirl24
Currently Reading: Uprising
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookgirl24.html

Post by bookgirl24 »

It takes me longer to read an e-book just because I keep my e-reader in my purse and generally only read it during my lunch or breaks at work. I can zip through a paperback.
Jamie fred84
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamie-fred84.html
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt

Post by Jamie fred84 »

The only difference I've seen in speed is how fast I can turn the page!
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt
Stephy
Currently Reading: The Eternity Cure
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephy.html

Post by Stephy »

I don't have anything but a phone to read on, but I think I read slower on my phone than on paper. I think. Because Iget distracted easier.
theonlybeckie
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theonlybeckie.html

Post by theonlybeckie »

I read ebooks a lot quicker, which came as a surprise because in the beginning I was a strict traditional book reader. But I ended up loving it I recommend a kobo there small and easy to travel with. :D
allwritemel1967
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by allwritemel1967 »

To be honest, my initial answer was going to be paperback but I recently tried to re-read a L-O-N-G book (The Count of Monte Cristo - I love that book!) in paperback, having initially read it on Kobo - It took me 3 times as long! Interestingly, and it's probably just me, I find changing the font will help me to read a book quicker - if it's in times new roman I will change to something as close to Rockwell as I can (my old Kobo had Rockwell but this new one doesn't. I'm a quick reader anyway so it surprised me that there was a difference. I've got over 200 books on my old Kobo that I wanted to read (mostly long books) and it is broken! :(
glittermomma81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glittermomma81.html

Post by glittermomma81 »

I always seem to read faster when its a paperback book then my kindle. Sometimes I just forget about the book on kindle cause I end up grabbing another paperback lol
EmmaSide
Currently Reading: Big Sur
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaside.html

Post by EmmaSide »

I don't dislike ebooks at all, but I find it much more satisfying to actually turn pages and makes your way through a book. Plus I'm traveling in a third world country right now so I've been living off of book exchange books, and that's been pretty fun!
cally
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15126">The Gunslinger</a>
Currently Reading: The Wind Through the Keyhole
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cally.html
Reading Device: B0015T963C

Post by cally »

I have discovered that I read faster on my 2nd Gen Kindle not just because it is so easy to take places but since its a 2nd gen its just for reading no apps or anything so I am not tempted to play a game or watch a movie!
Plus it is safe for books I have a 1 year old that tries to help me turn the pages and they end up tore.
mbottoms1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbottoms1.html

Post by mbottoms1 »

I like to utilize both means, paperback and electronic. I like the electronic (kindle for iPhone) when I am reading shorter books are articles. I use this method for books that are quick reads or things that don't take much concentration to read like devotional books, self-help, or quick reads. I enjoy the physical books, specifically paperbacks, for books that are longer or more investment. I like being able to mark the pages and make notions. For pleasure reading I enjoy paperback to fold back and through in my bag for long plane rides. For work/school books, I prefer hardback that I can highlight and flag. Different preferences for different occasions.
Jordanbates91
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanbates91.html

Post by Jordanbates91 »

I tend to read an inland book faster, more so because I am able to turn the page and the act of doing it makes it feel like it's going faster. I have noticed though that books keep getting shorter on orders, so I don't count reading a full book until it takes at least a day to read, not two hours.
jadeowyanhui
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadeowyanhui.html

Post by jadeowyanhui »

Paperback but I can survive with ebooks
MissLeila
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =5506">The Iron Knight</a>
Currently Reading: Bruja
Bookshelf Size: 422
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missleila.html

Post by MissLeila »

I read much faster on an ereader because it's easy to carry it around when traveling or doing something else...
It takes about a day or two to finish reading a book on my Nolim ereader but paperbacks take me about three or four days, because I can't read it at night (I have to use the bedside lamp and it's annoying while using a backlit ereader is much practical )
shellyb0813
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shellyb0813.html

Post by shellyb0813 »

I am able to read so much more e-books than paperback. It's so much more handy now to have my phone (which has about 200 books on it for me to read at any time) than it is to go threw all of my paperbacks (which I have triple that) to find the perfect book to read!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”