Which do you read faster - an e-book or paperback?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Lauren Elizabeth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Which do you read faster - an e-book or paperback?

Post by Lauren Elizabeth »

I have both a large collection of books and ebooks, and I've noticed recently that it takes me so much longer to finish my ebooks. I had a 600 page book I was reading on my nook and it took my 5 days to finish but I read a book that was around 550 pages and I finished it in two days.
Mrs_Darcy25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrs-darcy25.html

Post by Mrs_Darcy25 »

It depends for me. I have both a Kindle and a Kindle fire... When I'm reading on my kindle I do not see any difference in my reading times. However, when I am trying to read on my fire I find that I get distracted a lot by various things that pop up from apps and what not. It definitely manages to slow me down.
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

I tend to read e-books faster than paper books. I'm not sure why this is though.
JenacideByBiblio
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenacidebybiblio.html

Post by JenacideByBiblio »

I think it really depends on the book for me, but in most cases I read faster with an actual book in my hands. Maybe it's because my tired eyes get bored of staring at a screen all day :shock2: (phone, work computer, kindle, laptop/television), or maybe my finger is just plain tired of swiping and tapping!

Honestly though, it has to be the fact that my brain is unconsciously taking into account how much of the book I have read or have left to read. I think being able to visually see my progression definitely helps me read faster. So in that case, paperback/hardcover book for me.
Gabi669
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabi669.html

Post by Gabi669 »

I have noticed that I read Ebooks slower than regular books. I think it has something to do with the back lighting on my e reader display.
Palmer2356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palmer2356.html

Post by Palmer2356 »

Definitely faster on an ereader! I have my book with me all the time this way! And I can read I'm the dark after my husband has gone to sleep!
Eirmodim

Post by Eirmodim »

Hi! I am doing a research about never ending discussion on e-books vs. paperback and I just joined your community to have some insight into the topic, as it applies to my studies, but also interests me why people prefer ebooks over paperback (or opposite). I hope you don't mind if I will use some of the recent posts to include in my assignment :)
PS. Because of my own preference of paperback over ebooks, I personally read the physical copies faster than the electronic version. I may have a kindle next to my bed and forget about it, but if a book lays next to me, it simply atracts me to keep going with reading. I guess as some of you stated as well, my eyes get tired as well if I stare at the device too long.
Kidmuffin

Post by Kidmuffin »

I think I skip more with a ebook.... I usualy take more time if it's a actual book. Def love a book more then a ebook but ebooks are so convenient I find myself relying on them more and more!
TaylorHouser

Post by TaylorHouser »

In my opinion, I read a paperback much faster because of the anticipation of the end. If the book has me captivated, I will stay up all night to finish it. When the book is on my kindle my eyes grow tired much faster. It is great that I can be in bed reading in the dark or on a road trip and continue reading. I also love the feeling of having the book in my hands and feeling the pages. Having a kindle is great but it doesn't satisfy me when I'm reading; It only fits my needs for a back up
trin_
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trin.html

Post by trin_ »

Definitely paperback
Claudia Hotea
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-hotea.html
Reading Device: B015E8U6EM

Post by Claudia Hotea »

I am certainly an e-book reader. I love to read at night, all lights out, music in my ears and a good book on my iPhone. Anyone, whenever I get a paperback, I do not say no, but the eBook is far more convenient to me.
maddiesmommy12
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by maddiesmommy12 »

I read alot faster on my kindle. I usually read about 2 books a day if not more. I love paperback books and everything about them but i can read faster with my kindle.
Fortheloveofreading

Post by Fortheloveofreading »

I love reading either but I read paperback faster. I love my e-reader though because I can take it on vacation with me so much easier than packing a few books. Reading is my passion, I will read a hook easier other way.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I feel like I read both of them equally fast but when it comes to which type I prefer it would definitely be paperback books. I love the feeling of holding a book with my hands and just physically turning the pages. Plus, I feel like it's better for my eyes. However, I read ebooks all the time because they are so much cheaper and much more convenient.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
simplysara
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplysara.html

Post by simplysara »

I think I read eBooks much faster. I think it was in some Kindle literature that I read that by increasing the font size and spacing, you read faster. I haven't studied the subject, but anecdotally, it seems to ring true for me. The only exception is when I forget to bookmark my spot and my daughter accidentally flips through several-or several hundred- pages on my Kindle and I can't find where I left off. It would be a much easier task with a traditional book because I could "eyeball" the spot I think I left off at.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”