Which do you read faster - an e-book or paperback?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Re: Which do you read faster - an e-book or paperback?

Post by ALynnPowers »

I've never really thought about it before. I think maybe it depends on how much I am into the book more than which version I am holding. But if I am reading an ebook, I tend to not notice how much of the book has passed, since I can't physically feel any different in my hands, so sometimes I am surprised when I am already finished. I feel like, in that case, the ebook is faster.
Mimisreads_23
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimisreads-23.html

Post by Mimisreads_23 »

I read ebook a faster because I enjoy paperback more so I try to make the story last longer. Plus I always have my ereader apps on my phone so when I don't have my books on me I read my ebook a instead.
CharlotteWolf
Favorite Author: jessica shirvington
Favorite Book: Between the Lives
Currently Reading: Love by Numbers
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlottewolf.html
fav_author_id: 8661

Post by CharlotteWolf »

Honestly, after you get used to the feel and everything of an ereader, there's not much of a difference. Some people prefer to have a physical copy of a book and so they are extremely hesitant about reading on a ereader but personally, they're the same.
M_liabelle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-liabelle.html

Post by M_liabelle »

It doesn't make any difference to me. I love the feel of paperback though. With a book, you can return to your favorite scenes and it less straining to the eyes. But, recently, I have more e-books than I would have liked. The reason is because I can't find a paperback copy of the novels I want to read.
iheartoliver4ever

Post by iheartoliver4ever »

Lately I've been finding I read quicker on an E-book. It's just so convenient for me and I've adapted to digital reading very quickly since having a Kindle.
amandy_d

Post by amandy_d »

As much as I love paperback books, I honestly tend to read faster on my Kindle. There's something to be said about the versatility and portability of the Kindle and how easy it is to read. My Kindle has actually helped to fuel myy reading habit as I keep on adding on more books to it.
skyfallDancer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skyfalldancer.html

Post by skyfallDancer »

I always read ebooks faster on my phone. Maybe it's just because I spend most of my time reading them in bed while pretending to bee asleep. I haven't actually finished an ebook on my laptop, but I do read faster on paper than I do on my laptop.
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

I read ebooks on my Kindle faster because I take it everywhere with me because I can read it in the dark, unlike my real books.
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
JanuaryGray
Favorite Author: John Sandford
Currently Reading: Beijing Bastard at author request
fav_author_id: 16800

Post by JanuaryGray »

I would say I read at the same speed. Although I will always prefer hard copies of books, my KindleFire sure makes it nice to carry several books with me easily. :)
Sauroke
Favorite Author: R.A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sauroke.html

Post by Sauroke »

Paperbacks. The smell and feel comfort me. I don't mind an e reader, I just find that I am more proficient at turning pages.
NookWorm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nookworm.html

Post by NookWorm »

eBooks since that is the main format in which I purchase my books
TheBookFiend

Post by TheBookFiend »

I usually read an e-book faster, although I prefer to read paperbacks. If that makes sense. E-books are obviously easier to go through, since each page basically looks the same, so by the time I look up from reading I have blown through 50 pages.
tinegunner
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Favorite Book: The English Patient
Currently Reading: The Girl who Played with Fire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinegunner.html
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by tinegunner »

I feel like I read faster on the Kindle but I can't be sure. I definitely read MORE books now that I have the kindle, because it's easier to take with me. I think I try to read faster because on the Kindle it tells you how much time you have until you finish the book and I always try to beat it. :p
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I read incredibly fast. It doesn't matter what book I'm reading, I can probably manage to read it in 24 hours unless I'm really busy. If I'm reading a book on my kindle or in actual print form I feel like I can take a little more time; these are the books that I bring to school or to an appointment with me to pass the time. But if I download a book onto my computer or open it in my browser I'm probably aiming to read it in one sitting. Or I'll start it at night and finish the next morning. So for me I think it's more a question of "exactly how portable is this book?" because if I can bring it with me I'll have to pause in my reading while I go about my day but if I'm lounging around on my computer around the house I'll start and finish it in one sitting.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

It seems to me that I read faster with the ebooks, but I have never actually timed the two before. Maybe it is an experiment I can do soon just to answer that question for myself. I guess we shall see.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”