Which do you read faster - an e-book or paperback?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
victoriaepie3
Favorite Author: Gena Showalter
Favorite Book: too many to count
Currently Reading: darlings of urban fantasy
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriaepie3.html
fav_author_id: 3591

Re: Which do you read faster - an e-book or paperback?

Post by victoriaepie3 »

i think that I read e-books quicker than the paperbacks... having a kindle really helped. I think that if I had to depend on my computer than it would be a much slower project :-) so definitely e-books are a faster read :-)
CYMH090909
Favorite Author: P.C. Cast
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cymh090909.html
fav_author_id: 4610

Post by CYMH090909 »

I feel like I read e-books faster only because I don't have to hold it open and don't have to adjust really when reading an e-book.
*The truth doesn't always hurt*
-AM-

Post by -AM- »

I think I read faster with my kindle because as I have it on the text to speech feature I let it read to me and while it does that I can be mobile to do chores or whatever else including my crafts.
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

Without having an ereader I can't say for certain but I prefer a real book. I love the feel of the book in my hands, turning the pages, the smell of the book, the sound of flipping through it, the weight of it in my hands. Its a very romantic process and a sincere relationship begins with the writer when I open a new book.
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
E-Frapp
Favorite Author: Hemingway - King
Favorite Book: A Moveable Feast
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-frapp.html

Post by E-Frapp »

I definitely read paperbacks faster. I just love the feel of a book.
Where will you be in a year?
briggs_cm2014
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briggs-cm2014.html

Post by briggs_cm2014 »

Hi! I feel I read paperback faster and better than e-books. Also, smelling and feeling the paper is to me a refreshing experience. Though I also appreciate e-books, even if they strain my eyes much faster, as I don't need to bring a physical book everywhere just to be able to read.
stephanie Horizons

Post by stephanie Horizons »

No matter the support. It's the story that make me read faster or not.
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

Paperback I think, but I sometimes find myself skipping a few para's if I get too bored or tired. This doesn't happen when I read on my phone. So, its probably the skipped bits that makes it seem like I'm reading faster.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
BookWorm95

Post by BookWorm95 »

I ready paperbacks a lot faster! I think it is because I am physically holding the book and I can feel how far I have read. Of course on e-books, they die. I can read a book forever and never have to recharge its batteries. Then at night I am pushed to read more and more when the pages on the left get thicker and thicker.
CYMH090909
Favorite Author: P.C. Cast
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cymh090909.html
fav_author_id: 4610

Post by CYMH090909 »

BookWorm95 wrote:I ready paperbacks a lot faster! I think it is because I am physically holding the book and I can feel how far I have read. Of course on e-books, they die. I can read a book forever and never have to recharge its batteries. Then at night I am pushed to read more and more when the pages on the left get thicker and thicker.
I have to agree that it's great to feel when you are almost done with a book. But for me it depends on how into the book I am on how fast I read it.
*The truth doesn't always hurt*
flippnazn23
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flippnazn23.html

Post by flippnazn23 »

Honestly, I didn't think I saw a difference when reading an e-book or paperback. Although I am one for the more traditional paperback/hardcover because I love that format, having an e-reader is my go-to when traveling.
erinecosgrove

Post by erinecosgrove »

Lately, I've been using my Kindle for all of my reading. It surprises me how quickly I can get through a book. I've always been a fast reader, I just feel like I've become a lot faster on the e-reader. I do miss reading paperbacks quite a bit though.
kalpanakirubhakar

Post by kalpanakirubhakar »

An e-book can never replace a good old paperback.. I love the way it feels to hold a book in hand.. even the smell of an old book makes me crazy...
dunappy
Favorite Author: N.R. Walker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Soaring Hearts</a>
Currently Reading: Dreams of the Forgotten (Sumeria's Sons, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 4294
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 35683

Post by dunappy »

The speed of my reading doesn't change e-book or paperback, but the time I spend reading does change. I have a long work commute and I have to drive so I can't read a book, but with my Kindle, I can plug it into my car's speakers and hit the text to speech option and "read" or listen to the book as I drive. So if I started a paperback and an E-book at the same time, I'd finish the e-book first by having the extra hour of reading time on the way to and from work that I wouldn't have with the paperback.
Flowerfairy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowerfairy.html

Post by Flowerfairy »

I read faster on my ipad, because it's with me all the time, so whenever I'm bored, I read. I use to take up to a week to read a book and now it takes me 2 days

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”