Which do you read faster - an e-book or paperback?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Re: Which do you read faster - an e-book or paperback?

Post by tortoise keeper »

I don't think it makes much difference to me. The only time I have problems with reading on my tablet is sometimes it freezes up and I have to turn it off and back on. (That is obviously not a problem with a paperback.)
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Kaleigh11
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaleigh11.html

Post by Kaleigh11 »

I love my paperbacks. I just love the smell of a new book! An e reader seems so disconnected for me!
nikita03
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikita03.html

Post by nikita03 »

I think I read ebooks faster but that is only because they can be read in almost any surrounding. Else, they cant really compete paperbacks.
Sejal Mutha
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sejal-mutha.html

Post by Sejal Mutha »

I absolutely love paperbacks, no doubt about that! the feel and smells of books is irreplacable!
However, having access to a book and several books anywhere and everywhere with minimal space is pretty amazing too! Been reading ebooks for a while now, took a while but have gotten used to it! :)
bookloversclubhouse

Post by bookloversclubhouse »

I prefer paper books and read them faster, but I concede the convenience of ebooks. I have an Android tablet with the Kindle app. Some paper books, especially longer hardcovers, get super heavy and it gets hard to read them for very long at a time, but it seems like eye strain is a much bigger problem with ebooks, at least for me; and I like being able to physically see how much of the book I have left.
Barbara T Cerny

Post by Barbara T Cerny »

eBook - although I find it harder to focus. I have a cataract forming in one eye and "real" books are easier on the eye
Marianaleivap
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianaleivap.html

Post by Marianaleivap »

In my case, I read e-books faster because it is easier to carry my nook around than to carry a 500 pages book. But nothing compares to have the actual book and get exited when you see it is almost over.
bless_ runyah

Post by bless_ runyah »

I'd say an ebook because I can pretty much read it anywhere. For example when I in bed I can read at any angle, because it in my phone lol with paperback I have to adjust the way I lie and hold it to be comfortable. That being said I still don't mind :p
bookishwormy

Post by bookishwormy »

Takes me forever to read printed, I only super into reading after I got my Kindle.
hasan459

Post by hasan459 »

e-book definitely
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I think my rate of reading is the same, but I can connect with similar sentiments previously expressed:

I too enjoy being able to see how much of the book I have left. I think that I read faster when I know I don't have much left. (50 pages? 1 a.m.? I have time!) With an ebook sometimes I get to the end before I realize I was even close.
Being able to read in the dark with an ebook gives more flexibility on when I can read, plus it is safer to transport a tablet than a paperback book. I prefer to just read my paperbacks at home where they are safe. My tablet is more on-the-go.
I don't fold pages and often don't use bookmarks, so picking back up on my tablet is easier than picking up my paperback.

In general, I would say I probably finish a paperback faster than an ebook, unless the ebook is really good. All of the ebooks I read are for book reviews, so I never know what I am going to get. Paperbacks, on the other hand, are books that I am confident I will enjoy and am often more excited to read them. If the ebook I am reading is not engaging, I often forget that I am reading it, so it goes untouched for days sometimes.
Journey beyond the jacket.
SheriG

Post by SheriG »

I actually love paperback books I used to have a huge collection. I have moved quite a few times in the last 6 years, with one of the moves long distance I found it was easier on my back to have an e-reader. I actually have a kindle fire first edition ( one without the mayday button) but I would like to upgrade. My daughter has a new nook it's more of a tablet then an e- reader. Any suggestions. Thanks
Skoraeus
Currently Reading: Magnus Chase and the God of Asgard
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skoraeus.html

Post by Skoraeus »

Definitely a paperback. Able to feel it and touch the book is considered a privilege to me. The author's sincerity and hard work is all in those precious page. I personally prefer hardcopies as I could touch the book, and like the sensation of flipping through the pages.
taylorreads
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylorreads.html

Post by taylorreads »

I think I read e-books faster, but not by much. I prefer paperback because I love holding a book in my hand. I have a kindle, but I don't use it often, unless I just need to read a book fast since I do seem to read them faster, but I don't always get as much out of them as when I read from a paperback not sure why this is, but there is somewhat of a difference.
Nichol

Post by Nichol »

Paperback I read the fastest. It will never change

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”