Nook, Kindle, or IPad?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
AlyssaBotte
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssabotte.html

Re: Nook, Kindle, or IPad?

Post by AlyssaBotte »

I'm looking to get a Kindle, but I'm having trouble differentiating the differences between all the different kinds. I don't really need a tablet or all the extra features, like watching videos or the internet. Just the ability to read the books I purchase. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should be looking into?
minnieminx
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minnieminx.html

Post by minnieminx »

i have a tablet and a kindle paper-white and read :techie-studyingbrown: on both but always to back to my kindle as it is light to hold and has a built in light for reading in the dark. it is also easy on the eyes :D
kennerz1234
Currently Reading: The Art of Not Breathing
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennerz1234.html

Post by kennerz1234 »

I use an iPad mini. I had a kindle and did like it, but I find there is no point in having a kindle when my iPad has a kindle app so I can still read the books that I had bought on my iPad.
cam170
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by cam170 »

presently i'm using a kindle paperwhite..light and easy on the eyes ..i bring it everywhere with me.
ksherryf
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksherryf.html

Post by ksherryf »

A Nook is the only tablet that I own, but I have the Kindle app on it which I prefer to use. The tablet itself is great, but I find that Kindle books are usually cheaper.
jeffallen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">VALIS</a>
Currently Reading: Dandalion Wine
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeffallen.html
Latest Review: "52 Hangover-Free Weekends - Never Give Up Your Favorite Booze" by Ryan Jerome

Post by jeffallen »

I love my kindle fire.
Latest Review: "52 Hangover-Free Weekends - Never Give Up Your Favorite Booze" by Ryan Jerome
Jessimer

Post by Jessimer »

Kindle, all the way for me! I enjoy the fact that my kindle is for reading only, no social media, e-mailing, games,etc. I was gifted my Kindle actually against my will and two blissful years later I can say that I have never been happier with a gift.
suzupuluzu
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by suzupuluzu »

I have an iPad 2 and seem to have trouble finding the books on here in ibooks. I do have the Kindle app on my iPad. Does this mean I can use my Amazon Prime account and purchase ebooks that I can have immediately? Obviously, I am newer at this. I have a few books on my iPad but were able to get them through ibooks. I think I will try the Amazon Prime and see what happens. If anyone has any helpful suggestions... I am all ears. Thanks in advance!

-- 04 Jul 2016, 21:30 --

Why in the world does a book on Kindle go from $3.99 to the same book on ibooks for $21.95 and Kindle has a $9.99/mo charge for service. Am I missing something here?? :/ OH my, this is only available by audible at the $21.95. I feel lost.

-- 05 Jul 2016, 22:25 --
Dextress wrote:I have an iPad mini and I simply love it. I have 700+ books on it. I wanted to get a Kindle, or a Nook, but why bother when I already have an iPad and a free website to download from? I don't see the point. I'd stick with the iPad. It's easier to find books for without the need of downloading conversion programmes.
I have an iPad 2 and would love to know the free website you are speaking of? I find the books I want to read are a lil pricey for me in ibooks but I know when I get to a financial place, I will definitely purchase more. But come on... FREE is always better! Thanks.
Mbarnes
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbarnes.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mbarnes »

Personally I say the kindle only because I have owned one for a while and havent owned any of the others. I like being able to use it as a tablet and as a reader. Sometimes though to give my eyes a rest I will read a regular book. At first I was hesitant on using a e reader but it was a present from my husband so I gave it a try. That hasnt stopped me from filling up my regular paperback bookshelf though. I like to have a good mix of the both.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
makeda_kahina
Currently Reading: The Devil's Fool
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makeda-kahina.html

Post by makeda_kahina »

Hmm... my little brother has a Kindle, but I find it a bit confusing. That's probably because I own and IPad. I think if you already own one of these devices you don't need the other one since they a pretty similar. Personally I think you can do more with the IPad.
lrankintx
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lrankintx.html

Post by lrankintx »

Having used both an ipad and a kindle for reading, I choose the kindle hands down. The backlit pages allow for reading anywhere as does the non-glare screen....This is a distinct advantage that the Kindle has. The non-glare screen allows you to read outside in bright sunshine just as you would a paperback. I carry mine everywhere and like having a designated ereader as sometimes I work on a tablet and have books going at the same time!
KFuisting
Currently Reading: The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by KFuisting »

I am still using the Kindle that I have had for about 4 years. The device is amazing. It still works like a charm, even after massive use from my child. My child has since moved on to an ipad, so now I can use the Kindle for reading.
erica_bvs
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 668">Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince</a>
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erica-bvs.html

Post by erica_bvs »

I have an iPad and am thinking about getting something different. This has been really informative. Thanks for the help!
JRThompson95
Currently Reading: The Stand

Post by JRThompson95 »

If you decide to make the jump from iPad to one that is specifically an ereader, start with the Kindle Fire. It is the cheapest one so if you don't like it, you wouldn't have wasted much money.
Katyelizabeth21

Post by Katyelizabeth21 »

I have had all three of them. And I prefer the iPad. Do you know I would have to say is my least favorite. The Kindle was OK especially the paper Kindle. But still overall I prefer the iPad for its quality and its functionality. I hope this helps.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”