Nook, Kindle, or IPad?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Re: Nook, Kindle, or IPad?

Post by anomalocaris »

ConorEngelb wrote:I have an older Kindle and an Android tablet, which I can also use to read ebooks on, and I prefer the Kindle. The battery lasts a really long time, and the screen is readable in the sun. Also, I find that the back-lit screen of the tablet hurts my eyes, especially if I've forgotten my glasses somewhere.
I recently downloaded a free blue light filter for android (using It on my Kindle Fire HD). I found that even dimmed, the screen backlit bothered my eyes. The blue filter helps a lot. You set the percent opacity, and also the color of the filter (I use the natural, which mostly acts as a blue blocker, rather like the blue blocker sunglasses you can buy to cut glare). Depending on what I'm looking at, I use anywhere from 25-52% opacity. On the kindle, it parks an icon in the main menu, to provide a simple on/off without having to open the program, and it also has an option to enable it on boot, if you want it on most of the time.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
RobertM
Favorite Author: Ursula K. LeGuin
Favorite Book: The Lathe of Heaven
Currently Reading: Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RobertM »

I vote for Kindle, hands down. They not only have the best readers available, but they dominate the eBook market.
CuriousJorgi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curiousjorgi.html

Post by CuriousJorgi »

I have the second gen of Nook, I love that I can add to its memory via a mini SD card. I have an iPad 2 as well, and I like that I can have both the Kindle and Nook apps. If I am reading outside however, I still prefer my Nook since the screen does not have a glare in the sun. The down fall of my older Nook is the it requires light source to read unlike the iPad or new Nooks and Kindles.
itzjojohere
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itzjojohere.html

Post by itzjojohere »

I have an iPad but I mostly do my reading on my iPod Touch. But I still read on my iPad sometimes. I would love to have a Kindle, a device just for reading and nothing else.
Colette Marie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colette-marie.html

Post by Colette Marie »

I currently have an iPad but I do not have a Nook or a Kindle device. Frankly speaking, I do not see the purpose in buying another separate device to read e-books (Simply because a separate device is going to cost more money). But my friend does have a Kindle and she recommends buying it. So, if I had the money to spare, I would probably buy Kindle.
pharmerdani

Post by pharmerdani »

I've got a Nook HD, and it has worked beautifully for me. I use it primarily for reading, though I also access YouTube videos (excellent quality); check email, and do some occasional web browsing. The Barnes and Noble Nook blog offers free books on Fridays, and I've been quite pleased with the title selections. Would highly recommend it as a reading device.
Teigynlux
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teigynlux.html

Post by Teigynlux »

I have an iPad and love it. My mother and sister have the kindle and they really enjoy them too however my sister says she prefers soft cover books to anything else.
madhu_bookworm
Currently Reading: Chasing Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madhu-bookworm.html
Latest Review: "Passion Queen" by Kevin James
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by madhu_bookworm »

If you have an iPad then you do not need a Nook or Kindle.. I have a kindle reader on my Ipad and works great.
Latest Review: "Passion Queen" by Kevin James
amansmith
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Alpha and Omega and Highland Moonlight
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amansmith.html
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by amansmith »

I use the iPad mini and my phone. Personally I think that this is the better option because you can download the apps for both nook and kindle. The way I see it you are getting more for your money because not only are you able to read all of your books you are able to use all of the other features that come with apple products.
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

I've never used any. The only ereader I have is a Kobo.
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
staceymarie

Post by staceymarie »

Well if price is not an option, I recommend the Ipad mini (with retina). It can do everything the ipad can, plus you can get all the Kindle/nook books through their respective apps. I've never had a problem with an idevice before, and I just love how pretty and versatile it is. If price is important, I like the nook tablets over the Kindle now that they have Google Play. You can get access to all the Android apps and its more customizable and has a nicer interface than the Kindle. You can also get the Kindle app on the Nook and have both--not sure if it works the other way around. But those 2 are very close.
Athertle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athertle.html

Post by Athertle »

I recommend the Kindle Paperwhite for reading purposes. It doesn't hurt your eyes with the electronic glare that most tablets have nowadays, but instead has a soft screen that won't hurt your eyes no matter what. It also has amazing battery and you can even surf the Internet on it! (...although that is definitely not its strong point.)

I suppose the only downside to it is that you must buy the books off of the Amazon book store. With Android, you can get literally any book off of the Internet, but the Kindle limits you to pulling out your wallet.

I haven't tried out the Nook yet, so I can't say anything about it. But if you're choosing between the iPad and the Kindle for reading, go with the Kindle Paperwhite.

- Athertle
chibi_kitsune
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibi-kitsune.html
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski

Post by chibi_kitsune »

I have an iPad and don't think I'll be getting anything else, at least in terms of an eReader. Having the ability to read books and have other apps on the same device is very convenient. Also, there is a Kindle app for the iPad so getting a Kindle doesn't seem worth it in my opinion.
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski
murdockswoman
Favorite Author: sylvia day
Favorite Book: Bared To You
Currently Reading: The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-murdockswoman.html
fav_author_id: 3447

Post by murdockswoman »

I have an iPad. I like it but originally wanted the Nook. The iPad can get heavy when reading for long periods of times. It is also nearly impossible to read outside because of the light.
Sarahp914
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahp914.html

Post by Sarahp914 »

I have all three and it's really hard to answer. I end up reading using all the apps on my phone because it's easier to hold and I always have my phone on me. So usually I'm just sitting there holding my phone and reading. Very convenient. I would have the say the iPad is nice too, but I'd reading for long periods of time it gets uncomfortable.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”