Nook, Kindle, or IPad?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
bookworm_by_night
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm-by-night.html

Re: Nook, Kindle, or IPad?

Post by bookworm_by_night »

It really depends on your use: if you want to exclusively read on it, then a Kindle or Nook is your best bet. If you're looking for a multi-use device, you won't be happy with the basic nooks or kindles.

I use mine strictly for reading & have a Nook. I love it because it's so much more convenient to travel with & it's easy to buy books. You also have tech support available in person at any Barnes & Noble.
Rebecca_13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-13.html

Post by Rebecca_13 »

I have the old kindle, the kindle fire and an iPad. Reading on all three is very different. The kindle I feel you read a lot faster because the screen is smaller, so you're given smaller chunks which is easier to digest. Also it's a lot lighter and easier to hold in your hand. When reading on my iPad despite it being an air, it makes my wrist ache. Also at times there's so many words on a page it becomes far more tiring. Apart from the actual kindles and iPads, the kindle fire format and the iPad kindle app are the exact same pretty much so the design is mostly the same.
davidvan1973
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by davidvan1973 »

I would actually suggest the Nexus 7 or Galaxy 10.1. The benefit is that you can use the kindle or nook app to read ebooks. I have an ipad as well, but I prefer the android OS better. I have stayed away from the Kindle just because it runs Amazon's mock up of Android and have excluded the Google Play store. So it has limited app availability without having to root it and install custom OS.
mathman101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mathman101.html

Post by mathman101 »

Ipad can be used in way more ways than a kindle or nook
ebookfan

Post by ebookfan »

ipad for sure but kindle is cool too :)

~Devine Destinies~
amfrancis
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amfrancis.html

Post by amfrancis »

I have an iPad and a Kindle. They pretty much do the exact same thing. It all comes down to whether you prefer the Amazon/Android based operating system or the iPad IOS operating system. The Kindle backlight doesn't make my head hurt after a long time reading like the iPad does. It will also depend on if you do a lot of outdoor reading. If you read a lot outdoors, then get a Kindle, it does better in the direct sun light. The Kindle is also light weight so you can easily carry it places. I prefer to have a book in hand but when I'm traveling (i.e. driving or flying) or I'm spending the day at the beach, I take my kindle, because its compact and easy to use in those circumstances.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

(Instead of rewriting everything, I'll copy what I posted on another thread)

I have a 1st generation Kindle Fire (7"), 4th generation Basic Kindle e-reader and an iPad 4.

Admittedly, I hardly ever use the Kindle e-reader. But I like it because it's very small (less than 6 oz.), with a no-glare screen. Very compact and portable. The battery lasts up to a month. It's older technology (released by Amazon two and a half years ago, which is eons ago in the e-reader/tablet universe), but still available on Amazon. And at $69 it's one of the most affordable e-readers out there. Drawbacks - It is a bit more difficult to use because it doesn't have a touch screen. There are buttons for navigation at the bottom and sides of the device. You call up an on-screen keyboard, and then you have to use the buttons to navigate and choose letters. It has wifi, but it's cumbersome and time-consuming to navigate the web without a touch screen. If you want just a basic e-reader, spend a little extra and get the Paperwhite.

The Kindle Fire is great. Easy to use and still portable. And it's not just an e-reader, it's a tablet. You can get the 1st generation on Amazon for $139. Probably more bang for your buck than any other e-reader, because it has lots of other cool capabilities, and about the same price as the Paperwhite. Keep in mind that this generation Kindle is older and has some limitations. If you're looking for something more than an e-reader, get something newer.

My favorite is the iPad. It's not as portable, but I prefer the larger screen. And I find it the most user friendly. When I read at home, I usually use the iPad. When reading books to review, I use a PDF annotating program so I can make notes right in the book itself. The Kindle app is on it, so it syncs with the Kindle Reader & Kindle Fire and I can pick up where I left off reading on any device.

I'd like to try the Paperwhite, but I guess I don't need a fourth device. :|
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
JDublin

Post by JDublin »

I have an Ipad and a Kindle Paperwhite. Reading on the Ipad gave me a headache and doesn't play nice with my bifocals. I love my Kindle Paperwhite. It has internal lighting that I can adjust so I can read it anywhere I want and I find it the best e-reader for the eyes.

I also like that my Paperwhite is a dedicated e-reader. I tried reading on the Ipad, and I got too distracted with email, games, and other items to use the Ipad as an e-reader. The Kindle readers are made for one thing and one thing only--reading, and they are excellent devices. The Ipad is an excellent device, but it's meant to handle a thousand other kinds of tasks and programs, so its design is not focussed on reading.

I also tried the Nook at one point, but found the Nook a bit buggy (I had the first one that came out.)

I'd consider the Kindle Paperwhite.

Jen
Skarmy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skarmy.html

Post by Skarmy »

I have an ipad and a kindle, and I prefer reading on the Kindle I still use the ipad a lot more. I have the Kindle because someone in my family bought a newer version and gave me their old one, otherwise I would have never bought a Kindle when I already have an ipad. The only real preference I have for the kindle is that it's lighter than my ipad, and I can read it outside. However, I think I've maybe wanted to read outside a dozen times max, and having to carry around/worry about/manage another library on a whole separate device just isn't worth the small improvements reading on the Kindle has for me.
rubylane869
Favorite Author: Kresley Cole
Favorite Book: The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Currently Reading: Reincarnation and the Law of Karma
fav_author_id: 3313

Post by rubylane869 »

I have a Kindle Paperwhite. You can dim it or brighten it. It stores a ton of books...I always said that I would never use any of the electronic things to read...because I love the whole book thing...turning pages, the smell of an old book, etc., but I gotta say I love my Kindle.:) Books are so easy to get off of Amazon. It's amazing.
Victoria Jayne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-jayne.html

Post by Victoria Jayne »

I have a Kindle Fire HD. And I love it! I don't think in the future I'd get the new one though. The fact that you can see a tech and they can see you at the push of a button....It's just not my thing.
ABmomAAGab

Post by ABmomAAGab »

One benefit of an e-reader as opposed to an iPad is that the e-readers are not back lit, a light on the front of the screen lights up the page. Using a backlit device actually keeps your brain awake for 30 minutes after you've turned it off. I love to read before bed but try to read paper books instead of an e-book on my iPad for this very reason. This is really good to keep in mind when choosing an electronic device to read with.
nan m
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nan-m.html
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook

Post by nan m »

I have sony PRS T2 ereader. Its my most prized possession. Sadly, Sony has stopped producing anymore ereaders but their ereaders were best n long lasting though pricey. :( Never tried kindle because of unavailability issue but i have heard all good about kindle and Kobo readers.

Reading on phone or tablet is not as eye friendly as an ereader is. :D
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook
KumaOkaasan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kumaokaasan.html

Post by KumaOkaasan »

I have a Kindle and have had a Kobo in the past. I've also used Kobo's, Barnes and Noble's, Adobe's, and Kindle's free reading apps on my PC and Mac. I've never had an iPad so I can't speak for that.

Personally, I love my Kindle. Though I admit Amazon's near-monopoly on ebooks is a little disconcerting, I have found the Kindle a great device with a huge selection and (for the most part) reasonable prices. To me, the biggest drawback is the DRM. I also still buy paperback books, but usually only from series I know I like, since it's much easier to get rid of an ebook if you decide you don't like it than a paperback book, in my opinion.
Mpassy18

Post by Mpassy18 »

I have never actually used a Nook so I can''t speak to its functionality....but if you are an avid reader, I would highly recommend investing in a Kindle. Even before the paperwhite series came out, I found that reading on the Kindle eReaders was easier on my eyes. There's no backlit screen that is constantly barraging you. And the paperwhite is even better. It's like reading off a page of a book but you still have all the benefits of an electronic device.

If you only read once in a while and already have an iPad or Kindle Fire, than you can just use the amazon app (or any other ebook reader app) on there. The functionality is efficient if you can take staring at a backlit screen for long periods of time.

Also battery life on paperwhite is ridiculously good.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”